996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

HELP!! No reverse, 1st, 3rd, or 5th

Old 04-04-2009, 03:50 PM
ewlegal is on a distinguished road
HELP!! No reverse, 1st, 3rd, or 5th

I was driving home today and went for third and felt very notchy, I pushed it in and then nothing. Shifted into fourth fine then fifth...nothing...I limp it home and I can only get 2nd, 4th and 6th gear to work? Any help is appreciated.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:01 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
check your shifter the stock ones are cheap plastic hopefully this is the prob.. if get a b&m porsche offers the same shifter... just remove your center co and you will see your shifter it''s a 10 min job good luck and please keep us posted

Old 04-04-2009, 04:44 PM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
happened to me last week!! the linkage popped out of the shifter, 99% its the same thing. I didn't fix it my shop did so i cant tell you how.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:04 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Yes, check linkage, a cable probably popped off. Might take you 10 minutes to fix.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks guys...You have already brought a calm to my senses. I will search the forum for some how to's on taking off the shifter boot etc... I will be sure to keep U all posted.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:41 PM
Thank you all again...I was able to fix the problem and it only took me about a half hour once I found the link for getting the center console out. Like you all thought the linkage popped out of place and could not engage the forward shifts. All back together now like it never happened. Also come to find out the car already has a short shift kit in it. Not sure what brand but it is; however it is blue anodized metal at the base.
After pulling it all apart, I really can't believe they would use such a cheap plastic part to hold the linkage together.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:39 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Well done.

You probably went from dread and visions of transmission on a cart, to a very satisfied "hey, now I know how the shifter works"...

FYI- the linkage adjustments can be finicky...if you note funny feelings, you may need to re-adjust.

A

Old 04-04-2009, 11:45 PM
Ard, its like you read my mind. I will keep close tabs on it for the next few miles.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:08 PM
New issue I think. I have now put the threaded looking end of the shift cable into the holder twice now and adjusted it. It works fine for a few shifts then fails again. I marked the cable in the spring covered holder and the threaded end is not moving. Can it be something else further back?

Old 04-07-2009, 02:42 PM
luva966tt will become famous soon enoughluva966tt will become famous soon enough
The same thing happen to me but lost all the gears. It was the shifter and took it apart and poped it back in but went back out after a couple of hours driving around town. Decided to got with the 997 short shift assembly (302.00) sunset porsche oregon and vivids shift linkage for 100.00. Hopefully that will solve the problems. The regular 997 shift assembly is even cheaper by 140.00 bucks and was also told that it comes with the alingment tool for nuetral

Old 04-08-2009, 08:51 AM
So when you took everything apart and had the shift cable exposed, were you able to put the car into gear just by using your hands pulling or pushing it back and forth? I am able to get into the gears by pushing the cable to the front of the car, but when I pull it towards the rear of the car it will not engage a gear. The end of the cable gets down to the plastic sleeve and I can't pull it back any further to get into R,1st,3rd and 5th.