996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

2003 Upgrade Planning help requested (long)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Mike in MD is on a distinguished road
2003 Upgrade Planning help requested (long)

All, I have been lurking here for years and finally invested in the 30 seconds it takes to join. I'm ready to contribute some DIY's with some help from the board. I have also posted this same to-do list on another site yesterday, so apologies if you are reading this for a second time. It was suggested that posting here might get more results.

Bought my '03 TT new in December of '02. Has been my true daily driver for the last 71,000 miles, and been THE most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Man I really like this car, even 7 years after I drove it off the showroom floor. Actually, I think I might like it better now.

I owe this car a few upgrades and need to replace a few things that are getting a worn. I possess above average mechanical skills (honed from years of ownership of Audi, VW and Mercedes products of suspect reliability), have a fully equipped garage with 2 post lift, air and a fairly complete set of tools. I do all of my own mechanical work and have a group of friends who (using my garage) perform all of their own work as well.

Here's the plan:
Refine the list of upgrades/replacement parts with group help
Assemble all the DIY's I can find
Put it on the lift
Call my friends
Do it all at once.
Document, photograph and Post progress and DIY's

The Broad List to include:
-Suspension. Anticipate 99% road use, no track time except the occasional DE to stay young. Stock suspension is shot and wanders all over the road. Recent alignment at dealer found no parts dangerously worn, but man does it float all over the place and bottoms easily. Thinking PSS9/10 so I can lower it a bit and dial-in the ride a little better. Considering road use only, any advise on what other bits should be replaced whilst I'm at it? (shock tops, bushings, sway bars, motor mounts, links that are prone to wear).
-Exhaust. I like the Fabspeed modular approach from headers to the tips. Swapping in muffler bypass pipes for a Sunday drive sounds interesting. Comments?
-Chip: Lots of info already here on options, but if you have comments let me know.
-Intake. Really just for looks as the stock one lacks visual appeal and I broke off some of the plastic do-hickeys during a tune-up.
-Short Shift Kit. Any new news since I looked into B&M 5 years ago?

Maintenance:
-Clutch. 71,000 miles and starting to feel like its pulsing at start. No slipping yet but I did teach both of my kids to drive stick in this car, so just for fairness sake I think I owe the car a new one. Accumulator is also shot so I'll replace that while I'm at it. With the maybe 100hp increase of above mods should I go LWFW and a tougher clutch/PP or stick to stock. I like the idea of a quicker reving flywheel but will I sacrifice anything in the way of usability or reliability?
-Radiators: I always thought the dealer was trying to scam me when I refused the "Radiator cleaning service" for $125 which would have cleaned out all the crap the scoops suck up. Well, both left and right are rotten now and leaking from a few years of salt layered with leaves, cigarette butts and dead birds. Replace.
-Wheels. Still like the stock wheels, but they really need some light grinding and a respray. Any tips on vendors who have done respectable restoration work? Maybe change the color up a bit.
-Full detail. Considering this car spent 4 years of its life 100% outdoors in the mid-Atlantic, and only recently got a garage for night storage, the paint is in great shape. Planning a full massage by the dent wizard and a clay bar rub down. Any advise on polish/wax for black paint.

Could use some DIY links for clutch, as I can't find one for 996TT. I did find a great one for a 996 that dropped the trans only and hoping I can go the same route. Possible?

Should I suck it up and buy the factory manuals or can I find most of what I need online or through the group?

Lots of questions, I know, but if you have anything to add please let me know. Hope to start at the end of summer/early fall.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Site Sponsor
GMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond repute
Wow thats a serious list right there

You got a PM!

Old 07-01-2009, 01:39 PM
AdamW81 will become famous soon enoughAdamW81 will become famous soon enough
There are many DIY articles on renntech, I would start there before buying the manuals, you may find everything you need.

B&M is still the way to go on short shifters, as you probably remember from your previous research the oem short shifter is just a rebadged B&M.

A new good option for clutch upgrade is a stock GT3 RS clutch, you can do some searching on it but its probably the easiest step up over stock. The normal sachs upgrade is very streetable as well from everything I've seen (disclaimer, i have no experience with either...stock one still going strong with 16/16g turbos...if you aren't upgrading turbos stock clutch is probably fine).

VividRacing.com has what is probably the most popular intake upgrade and I haven't heard of anyone blowing mafs with it like on others (I have this one)

I'll leave the chip question alone, everyone will pick what they have - talk with all the tuners you are considering, for a basic upgrade they are close enough that going with your gut after talking to them all is probably the way to go.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:22 PM
Mike in MD is on a distinguished road
OK, really have been busy. Time to get back to the Porsche

My son and I just finished this complete nut and bolt M3 suspension/brake/cooling refresh for his daily driver. Project took on a life (and budget) of its own. I think my wife thinks I have a girlfriend who lives in the garage.

The Planning: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=276705

The Execution: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=281530

The Finished Product: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=286780

I think I have found most of the DIY's for the 996T I will need. Anyone have any other input before UPS starts dropping off parts this fall?

Thanks

Old 10-12-2009, 01:54 PM
wezz is on a distinguished road
great job on the M3 build. Hopefully next spring i'll be tackling an E36 project of my own.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:24 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Some people find the B&M short shifter to be notchy. A better choice would be the stock 997 shifter for under $200. Shorter, smooth and precise, everything the stock 996TT shifter isn't. Many on this board have gone this way.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
The B&M shifter is a far inferior product to the Shortshift kit from Porsche, and not worth the savings in cost difference between the two... I'd save money elsewhere.

Also, I'm not really that far from you. Might want to come down and visit and take a ride in mine. It'll give you an idea of what is capable with not a lot spent... Ask Larry! It's how he started his project!

Mike

Old 10-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
Go visit Mike, he's a mine of information and would be a great local resource. He also does most of the work on his vehicles too.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:24 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
+1 for Mike.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:40 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mike in MD
OK, really have been busy. Time to get back to the Porsche

My son and I just finished this complete nut and bolt M3 suspension/brake/cooling refresh for his daily driver. Project took on a life (and budget) of its own. I think my wife thinks I have a girlfriend who lives in the garage.

The Planning: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=276705

The Execution: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=281530

The Finished Product: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=286780

I think I have found most of the DIY's for the 996T I will need. Anyone have any other input before UPS starts dropping off parts this fall?

Thanks
Great info, thanks for sharing! I plan to put all R2 urethane bushings in my supra; guess I need to hit HF and pick up a press.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:18 AM
porscheralph is on a distinguished road
Hi Mike - where in MD are you located? I live in Herndon VA - not to far away. I have the Softronic ECU upgrade installed on my 996 turbo and I have a Durametric tool that can be very helpful. You are welcome to drive my car (it is a tip by the way). The only other mod is PSS10's and lowered to ROW height. PM me if you want to get together.