996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Pumping oil to top of motor before starting on car that sits for a while...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 08:34 PM
D_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant future
Pumping oil to top of motor before starting on car that sits for a while...

My car sits for about a week at a time between starts. When i first start it up, you can hear that the valvetrain does not have oil pumped up to it. Is there an easy way to crank the car over and get oil up there before it fires up? Is the fuse for the fuel pump easy to get to? I'd love to be able to wire an inline switch or something in order to do it, but I don't want to cut things up. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Old 08-25-2009, 08:46 PM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
Pull the fuel pump fuse, turn it over until the pressure comes up. I do 7 - 8 secs count to 10 & do it again to avoid overheating the starter.

Peace

Old 08-25-2009, 09:06 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
yep fuse is C4

Old 08-25-2009, 09:47 PM
D_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant future
Thanks guys! Now, since you seem to know where it is, would you mind telling me? Is it in the trunk or in the drivers side footwell? I haven't really investigated teh car that much as it is relatively new to me.

Thanks!

Old 08-25-2009, 09:57 PM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
By your left calf; pull the cover off. Letters top down, number R-L

Old 08-25-2009, 10:35 PM
ABCar is infamous around these parts
Good advice...I wonder if pulling the fuse might be appropriate more often when the weather is cold...although, 0W40 should get the lube up pretty quick. What is too obsessive?

Old 08-26-2009, 06:48 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
See TSB 1728. Lack of oil pressure on on start-up. Check valve between oil tank and cranckase...

Old 08-26-2009, 07:05 AM
Typically I don't see (or hear) a lack of oil at startup unless I leave the car unattended for 10 - 14 days. Being a daily driver, I am probably more sensitized to a change in sound at startup when I've been away for a long period (more aural than gauge).
The only time I've actually seen a delay in the rise of oil pressure is after an oil change.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:29 AM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
I actually don't believe there's much difference between running a dry
valve train with fuel or not. It's still going to need the same number
of motor revolutions to get the pumped oil up there, and the load on
the drive train isn't going to be that much different. Actually, I take
that back, because the speed of motion will be higher with the motor
firing, so the friction and impacts might be higher. Maybe I'd want one
of those rechargeable jump-battery packs to take the load off the car
battery while cranking it over for however many revolutions we'd want
before the oil gets everywhere...
Pre-oiling is a good idea. Kevin strongly recommends that after an oil
change that you pour as much of a quart of oil as you can, right down
the center of where the oil filter goes, before starting the motor. I don't
know if that condition is any dryer to the valve train than if the car had
just sat for weeks, but if I were completely **** about it, I'd install a
twist drain on the main sump bolt, and every time I wanted the royal
pre-start, I'd drain a quart of oil, and undo the oil filter housing, and
pour that oil down the center. Or maybe have some fancy machinist
install lines from the valve covers to the top rear of the motor, and
pour the drained oil down those, so they wet the valve train directly
before the motor is turned over at all... And if this were such a big
deal, someone (Porsche?) could have built in a line from the sump to
the valves, with a small electric pump to do the pre-oiling for 15
seconds by our flipping a switch on the dash...

Old 08-28-2009, 04:31 PM
Grendel is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Joe Weinstein
And if this were such a big
deal, someone (Porsche?) could have built in a line from the sump to
the valves, with a small electric pump to do the pre-oiling for 15
seconds by our flipping a switch on the dash...
I think you have a great idea for a new product...

Old 08-28-2009, 05:31 PM
shonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to behold
accusump is a well known, old time pre oiler.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:07 PM
2LOW4 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jpflip
See TSB 1728. Lack of oil pressure on on start-up. Check valve between oil tank and cranckase...
Anyone have a link to the TSB's?

I've noticed if I park mine on an incline with the nose up that it will rattle for about 5 seconds upon starting the next morning. If I back up the driveway with the rear of the car higher there is no rattle or only 1/2 second or so.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:51 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
The TSB's can be seen on Renntech.org but you have to be a donator I think....