996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

links on how to DIY LSD?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 09:49 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
links on how to DIY LSD?

Can't find any online. Looking through the 996tt workshop manual, can't find anything accept in the GT2 section. This probably applies but want more info if possible. thanks!

Old 10-01-2009, 11:45 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the reason for that is the 996TT didn't come with a true LSD. The GT2 did though. The GT2 should be the same procedure, but I think there is some setup/shimming required to do it right.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:42 PM
sweeney186 will become famous soon enough
Its not an easy job,did my own but auto repair is what I do for a living . Lucked out on reshimming-all in spec w/ the old shims.Very tedious to get it right otherwise.If you don't have alot of exp. w/ setting up ring & pinions its prob. best left to a professional

Old 10-01-2009, 11:18 PM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
yes the 996 doesn't have an LSD but didn't find manual instructions on removal/refitting a differential either. GT2 one probably applies but there's not much detail.The manual has about 9 lines of instructions removal/install and no mention of shims.

I'll have a professional helping me, so just need to make sure I've got all the parts/bits ready.

Can anyone shed more light here please? thanks

Old 10-02-2009, 03:37 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
+1 thanks

Old 10-02-2009, 10:08 PM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mad Ness
yes the 996 doesn't have an LSD but didn't find manual instructions on removal/refitting a differential either. GT2 one probably applies but there's not much detail.The manual has about 9 lines of instructions removal/install and no mention of shims.

I'll have a professional helping me, so just need to make sure I've got all the parts/bits ready.

Can anyone shed more light here please? thanks

Not sure how much speed shops charge to put one in on a porsche but I know on other cars is not that much for labor.

When you consider how much these units cost and a risk of putting it in wrong and ending up with a noisy dif or at the worst a bucket of useless parts and a cracked case, I'd let someone do it whoo's done many on pcars.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:11 AM
your concerns are valid and I agree. my tuner is a very seasoned proffesional and has a relationship with a reputable Pshop if needed. Just doing as much homework as I can on my end. Much of my enjoyment in modifying cars is from the joy of being hands on, which I do not get by simply dropping the car off and paying the bill.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:48 PM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mad Ness
your concerns are valid and I agree. my tuner is a very seasoned proffesional and has a relationship with a reputable Pshop if needed. Just doing as much homework as I can on my end. Much of my enjoyment in modifying cars is from the joy of being hands on, which I do not get by simply dropping the car off and paying the bill.

I'm with you on the hands on thing, however putting a diff in has a big potential for disaster and to do it right the first time, you either have to be lucky or very experianced. You also have to consider that the ring and pinion you're gonna be using is not only a matched pair but also a pair that was worn in together, unless you'll be changing that too. If money is no object I'd say go for it and do a writeup

Old 11-08-2016, 07:12 AM
BMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond repute
I have done a couple of Ford 8.8 ring and pinion setups; would the procedure be similar (for those that have done it)? Thanks.

Old 11-08-2016, 08:55 AM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BMiller33
I have done a couple of Ford 8.8 ring and pinion setups; would the procedure be similar (for those that have done it)? Thanks.
I've set up several Ford/Chevy rears back when I was young and drag racing muscle cars with my high school buddies.... It is the same principle, but the application of the process is a little different due to the equipment differences (there isn't a center section in these cars, the diff is housed in the transaxle, and you remove it from the side vs from the back). I'm going to drop my trans myself and take it to a shop that has experience with Porsche transaxle and this sort of job... For the amount it costs in parts to repair if I were to try it on my own and mess it up, I'd rather not take the risk.

Good luck... let me know how it goes for you.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:54 AM
stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !