996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Grill material and 3M Carbon Fiber wrap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 01:15 PM
wooosh is a name known to allwooosh is a name known to allwooosh is a name known to allwooosh is a name known to allwooosh is a name known to allwooosh is a name known to all
Grill material and 3M Carbon Fiber wrap

Pulled the nose off the car to clean out the Fall leaves and misc. crap that gets sucked into the side radiators. Decided to add grills and have been reading some posts about the different mesh styles people have been using. Found a site called www.Grille4u.com that has several choices of material. But specifically they have a stainless steel, both natural and black (which is coated with a thin strong black layer of plastic) in a pattern that I thought looked much better than some of the other materials I have seen. It also seemed to have what looked to be about an ideal ration of mesh size without being restrictive. Even though not advertised on their site, they sell it in 12" by 48" sheets. Cost was about $75 which included shipping. Came well packed and in just a few days from California to TN.

You will not see it listed on their site. You have to call the 800 number they have on the site and ask for this mesh in a universal application where they just sell the mesh and not a completed grill for a specific vehicle. They did have a picture of the mesh from this same company on ebay.

Very durable, found the best way to cut it was with a rotozip with metal cutting disk. Just laid it down on a piece of plywood with pattern I wanted in magic marker drawn below the screen. Cutting with wire cutters extremely hard, bolt cutters can cut easily but try to geet a nice shape with those...Trust me on the rotozip.

Now my install is not normal because I have a GT2 nose with the stock 996TT radiator venting. It was no problem fitting the mesh between the two. Normal GT2 venting actually inserts into the mouth of the bumper. The 996TT rubber vent just nicely pushes up against the new grill.

Also why I was at it I used the new 3M Di-Noc carbon wrap to do my lower lip on the GT2 nose. Stuff is unbelievable, looks great and will protect from stone chips. Found a cheaper site than what is advertised in the parts for sale section of this forum. http://www.metrodecals.com/store/htm...l-4/index.html

Old 01-29-2010, 01:40 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Nice work again! Keep up the great threads and showing the pics,

Old 01-29-2010, 06:25 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Really likin' the tape...

Mike

Old 01-29-2010, 07:13 PM
RiA
RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !
Looks clean - really like the CF tape on the lip.

I gotta get some of that...

Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:44 PM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
Really good job!

I was wondering what to do with my scraped-up lip, painting last a couple of weeks! A couple of questions; Did you cut it from a larger sheet and how does it adhere?

Old 01-29-2010, 10:27 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
That looks great!

Old 01-30-2010, 07:47 AM
wooosh is a name known to allwooosh is a name known to allwooosh is a name known to allwooosh is a name known to allwooosh is a name known to allwooosh is a name known to all
I just bought the 12" by 48" piece and cut some approx 4" strips. It is easy to hide the seams. It has an adhesive backing, that can be repositioned several times while you are putting it on and still adhere extremely well. It is very workable around corners with the heat gun on low. Easily wrapping around the curve of the lower lip while also wrapping under and behind without any wrinkling. You will be amazed how pilable it becomes when heated. Youtube has a bunch of videos on working with it. Just search on 3M Di-Noc Carbon Wrap.

Some videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGwhosrmcbk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2mBclTY_Uo

Old 09-04-2010, 09:04 AM
usdesikid is on a distinguished road
Adhere

How did you get the mesh grille to adhere\stick to the vent?

Zip tie?
Glue?
CLips?

Old 09-04-2010, 09:43 AM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Nice grill but that site is terrible to nav. Any pointers on how you were able to view patterns on that site?

Old 09-04-2010, 10:23 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Good job man,bike looks realy nice.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:28 AM
usdesikid is on a distinguished road
CustomCarGrills.com

I can't say for the site listed above... But I purchased mine from:
http://customcargrills.com/

They have a decent video of the thickness/open-area for each type of grill mesh...

Old 09-04-2010, 11:09 AM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
I got mine from customcargrilles too.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:37 AM
If you look closely at the Pics you can see very small tie wraps. Three along the top and two at the sides. When installed and the bumper back on they can only be seen if you lie down and look a the nose street level.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:32 AM
JG GT500 will become famous soon enough
Looks good - lovin' the carbon wrap.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:57 AM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Please post a link to this mesh grill, thanks,

-Eli

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Grill material and 3M Carbon Fiber wrap