996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996TT vs. GTR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 01:11 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Hogapalooza
I've never been around a GT-R but they seem to be very fast and a great road car. I agree w/ the post above. Yet the 370 is very cheap feeling and looking on the inside. I was very disapointed and backed out of buying a brand new 370Z Nismo ( sp? ) because of the lack of options and the cheap finish. I ended up buying my used X50 and I'm so glad I did!

Some would say the 370 is another version of butt ugly. I actually like it, but know many that dislike it's looks.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:19 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Prche951
Some would say the 370 is another version of butt ugly. I actually like it, but know many that dislike it's looks.
I like the look of the outside and that is why I was interested. I was very disapointed in the inside. It had few extra options and it was a very cheap fit and finish IMO.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:22 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
I like the look of the outside and that is why I was interested. I was very disapointed in the inside. It had few extra options and it was a very cheap fit and finish IMO.

I'll admit I have not been in a 370 for more than a few minutes, but have been in 350's and G35's and the quality seems better than what chevy puts in their corvette

Old 02-27-2010, 01:35 PM
Monaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond repute
These threads are always interesting. We need a F.A.Q. section with these two cars.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:26 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
I'll admit I have not been in a 370 for more than a few minutes, but have been in 350's and G35's and the quality seems better than what chevy puts in their corvette
I have a friend w/ an 08 Z51 Vette, I looked at the G35 when I looked at the 370. The G-35 felt and looked Japanese cheap to me too. My friend will tell you that Chevy and the Japanese cars are a long way from being on par w/ the German cars on the inside. I agree w/ him and think they both are about the same.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:35 PM
I have a friend w/ an 08 Z51 Vette, I looked at the G35 when I looked at the 370. The G-35 felt and looked Japanese cheap to me too. My friend will tell you that Chevy and the Japanese cars are a long way from being on par w/ the German cars on the inside. I agree w/ him and think they both are about the same.

I won't disagree with you. However, japanese car quality is much higher than American car quality. plain fact.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:47 PM
Zeroh has a spectacular aura aboutZeroh has a spectacular aura about
Ran a GTR today... heavy rain conditions.... from 4k rpm in 3rd to middle of 5th gear, took easily 3 to 4 car lengths out of it. Running X50 + flash + zorst, dv's & hoses.

Counted 321 then we went... wasnt a random, are they giving it the beans or not !

Old 02-27-2010, 04:26 PM
I won't disagree with you. However, japanese car quality is much higher than American car quality. plain fact.
Except Toyota!

Old 02-27-2010, 05:13 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I do believe that OP's car has around 500 whp with either K16/16g's or K16/24's at sea level. I also do believe that he can loose to a GTR because of that transmission. Just look at the LP560 and how much faster it is than the old Gallardo. It has only 20-30 bhp more, but it is a full 3/4 seconds faster than the old car if not more.

The new PDK 997 Turbo just ran a 11 seconds flat at 128 in CD or MT magazine. That is a full 3/4 seconds faster than the Manual and more so than the tip.

These new transmissions are extremely efficient. The GTR's tranny is the equalizer. Without it, it is a big fat hog and the probable reason why Nissan did not put the car out with a manual.

to top it off, OP has the worst trans you can get in a turbo. An automatic
No way 500 whp loses to a GT-R from a roll.

From a dig, it's very likely depending on what speed you're going to. But it's not REALLY 500 whp if you aren't pulling the GT-R hard on the top end. The GT-R is geared to get going to 100, after that it's very average (think M6).

ET means next to nothing, put launch control in the Manual Turbo like there is in the PDK one and GT2 and I bet you the Manual is pretty much as fast to 1/4 mile, and probably a higher trap speed.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:14 PM
Except Toyota!

I expected that from you so I reeled you innnnnn

Blame the American auto worker and the auto unions for Toyota's problem. All Toyota's whose VIN start in J are fine, all Toyota's made in North America are subject to recall. It is once again American auto workers.

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/car...20a86bee2c970b

Old 02-27-2010, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
No way 500 whp loses to a GT-R from a roll.

From a dig, it's very likely depending on what speed you're going to. But it's not REALLY 500 whp if you aren't pulling the GT-R hard on the top end. The GT-R is geared to get going to 100, after that it's very average (think M6).

ET means next to nothing, put launch control in the Manual Turbo like there is in the PDK one and GT2 and I bet you the Manual is pretty much as fast to 1/4 mile, and probably a higher trap speed.
All other factors being equal I agree. But again, comparing a tip to a dual clutch tranny with launch control is like comparing a column shifter manual to a good 6 speed manual.

As for PDK vs manual. I think that issue is resolved.The 997 GT2 with launch control ran 11.5 at 123.9, while the new pdk turbo with launch control ran 11 flat at 128. Considering the turbos extra weight and less power, I think we can clearly see which works better.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:33 PM
I expected that from you so I reeled you innnnnn

Blame the American auto worker and the auto unions for Toyota's problem. All Toyota's whose VIN start in J are fine, all Toyota's made in North America are subject to recall. It is once again American auto workers.

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/car...20a86bee2c970b

Is the Corp located in America or Japan? Was the person in front of Congress from America or Japan? Corp Toyota knew about this issue in Europe ( cars not made in America ) long before the issues got this way here. The Corp located in Japan didn't get the information to the American plants in order to save $. The Corp leaders from Japan made the decisions that lead to the production at the Ameican plants.
Bottom line is the company leadership and direction is located in Japan, because it is a Japanese Company. It's their quality control or lack there of that allowed this to happen.

You just hooked your own *** w/ that argument not mine.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:36 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Considering the turbos extra weight and less power, I think we can clearly see which works better.
The dynos for the DFI 3.8L Turbo show consistently better power production than the GT2.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/2707455-post40.html

Last edited by bbywu; 02-27-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:37 PM
Harold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Zeroh
Ran a GTR today... heavy rain conditions.... from 4k rpm in 3rd to middle of 5th gear, took easily 3 to 4 car lengths out of it. Running X50 + flash + zorst, dv's & hoses.

Counted 321 then we went... wasnt a random, are they giving it the beans or not !
I am sorry, but the GTR driver obviously wasn't putting all into it...maybe due to weather conditions. I seriously doubt an X50 with a flash would pull so hard on the GTR.... I have personally seen the GTR blow away a retuned 997TT and Superlegerra numerous times in the last three weeks on a 800km road trip in perfect conditions on very long straight roads, and all are driven by very experienced guys in dry conditions. No way a 996TT X50 could pull on it to the middle of 5th.... maybe 3rd to 4th yes as even my rechipped RS can keep up with it in 4th gear, but beyond that, forget it....

Old 02-27-2010, 05:46 PM
Is the Corp located in America or Japan? Was the person in front of Congress from America or Japan? Corp Toyota knew about this issue in Europe ( cars not made in America ) long before the issues got this way here. The Corp located in Japan didn't get the information to the American plants in order to save $. The Corp leaders from Japan made the decisions that lead to the production at the Ameican plants.
Bottom line is the company leadership and direction is located in Japan, because it is a Japanese Company. It's their quality control or lack there of that allowed this to happen.

You just hooked your own *** w/ that argument not mine.

ok, I give up you win

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.