996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996TT vs. GTR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 10:01 PM
bad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond repute
996TT vs. GTR

My buddy has a '10 GTR fully stock...over the weekend we did a few runs on the highway starting at around 50 or 60 up to 140 or so. We were just about even the entire time. He had someone else in his car.

I have a '01TT Tiptronic with AWD, k16 hybrids, exhaust and softronic tune. Going my numbers alone, I should have over 100hp more than him. I realize this is not wheel horsepower, but I thought for sure I should be pulling on him. Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Old 02-22-2010, 12:13 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
I have an idea. Don't trust the GT-Rs HP numbers. I have heard that they are pretty conservative. I have no real proof of this, but I wouldn't trust them. Not to mention they are pretty large/heavy cars for the performance they get in the track for the HP/Tq to weight ratio that they have. At ~3800 lbs they are about the weight of the B5 S4 sedans which is a pretty heavy for a sport coupe. Not to hate. They are really cool and really capable cars. Maybe Nissan has found a way to make a 3800 lb car handle like a 3200lb car without under rating the numbers? I just don't know.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:20 AM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
If the GTr was stock...something is up with your car...
I pull really hard on GTr's after 3rd gear...and i only have a flash on k16's

Old 02-22-2010, 02:35 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bad107
My buddy has a '10 GTR fully stock...over the weekend we did a few runs on the highway starting at around 50 or 60 up to 140 or so. We were just about even the entire time. He had someone else in his car.

I have a '01TT Tiptronic with AWD, k16 hybrids, exhaust and softronic tune. Going my numbers alone, I should have over 100hp more than him. I realize this is not wheel horsepower, but I thought for sure I should be pulling on him. Any ideas?

Thanks!!
Ever considered your buddy is not giving you the full story on his car and is having a little laugh ?

Old 02-22-2010, 05:55 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Two things going on here. Your car has a very inefficient tranny which looses more power than you think. The GTR has a very efficient tranny that shifts faster and launches better. The transmission in the GTR makes up a lot for the cars weight. If you modded your tip trans, it would make up for a lot of loss. Vivid Texas (Todd) did that I think. Makes a big difference. you would then pull on him. you do have more power no doubt about it.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:15 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Ben GTR's are very quick and underrated. Ask Steve about GTR's, he'll be running one this year is Speed World Challenge.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:09 PM
XwalkerX has much to be proud ofXwalkerX has much to be proud ofXwalkerX has much to be proud ofXwalkerX has much to be proud ofXwalkerX has much to be proud ofXwalkerX has much to be proud ofXwalkerX has much to be proud ofXwalkerX has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by VAGscum
I have an idea. Don't trust the GT-Rs HP numbers. I have heard that they are pretty conservative. I have no real proof of this, but I wouldn't trust them. Not to mention they are pretty large/heavy cars for the performance they get in the track for the HP/Tq to weight ratio that they have. At ~3800 lbs they are about the weight of the B6/B7 S4 AVANTS which is a pretty heavy for a sport coupe. Not to hate. They are really cool and really capable cars. Maybe Nissan has found a way to make a 3800 lb car handle like a 3200lb car without under rating the numbers? I just don't know.

fixed.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:01 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
If the GTr was stock...something is up with your car...
I pull really hard on GTr's after 3rd gear...and i only have a flash on k16's

Yeah, but his car is a tip, and tips are slow shifting, between shift time and extra hp lost due to tip tronic vs a DSG that supposedly loses less hp than a manual, it could make sense.

The 2010 GT-R's are a little stronger than the rest of them. Probably could trap 120-121 consistently (maybe a 122).

I didn't know k16 hybrids were making around 500 + whp, to have 100 more hp than a GT-R, in fact I don't buy that, at all, not from a softronic tune on a tiptronic with basic mods.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:35 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Well, I can't speak to this guy's car, But I do have a 500 WHEEL HP K16/24 Hybrid setup. More than 500Wheel HP actually.

All that said, the new 2010 GTR is much better sorted than the previous year. I've gotten a ride in two and they are exceptionally fast off the line, at 60MPH roll-ons and the top end pulls hard all the way to redline.

There was an article posted elsewhere (I'll try to find the link and post it) that showed the stock GTR making more power to the wheels on a conservative dyno than the claim. The car is VERY under-rated.

All said, the tip, along with the efficiency of the GTR trans/power management, and the actual power of the car could certainly make it faster than your car.

Mike

Old 02-27-2010, 05:41 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
There is no way a stock GT-R would keep up with anywhere near a 500 whp 996 TT unless we are talking from a dig.

There are too many people here running away from GT-R's (even tuned ones) with basic mods to even entertain a stock one keeping up with 500 whp in a 996 TT.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:54 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Well we'll just have to agree to disagree... The 2010 model is making way more than it's 485HP rating, and using it very well. I was shocked at how closely its power deliver felt to my car and how fast it felt.

I don't know if one would hang with mine, since it's a 6 speed and I'm making somewhere north of 520WHP on 93 octane fuel, but I'd certainly not be surprised to see one sitting at my fender on a hard roll on pull... That's all I'm saying... It's a bad **** for such an ugly car.

Which begs the question, still... Why the HELL didn't they make that car's lines more sexy??? Ugh...

Mike

Old 02-27-2010, 06:06 AM
Harold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by bad107

Thanks!!
A lightly tuned 09 GTR (delimited) but with no other mods can eat a rechipped 997tt and a Superlegerra for breakfast and lunch at higher speeds.... I have evidenced this with my friends cars on a rolling start from about 200kmh all the way to 270kmh just over month ago along the north south highway in malaysia (the asian equivalent of the autobahn)... we were in awe at the GTR.... on the straights....

That same GTR kept up with another friends 997GT2 that has been rechipped as well as a 599GTB. It is a monster in gear and above 200kmh.

Last edited by Harold; 02-27-2010 at 06:09 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:39 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
I do believe that OP's car has around 500 whp with either K16/16g's or K16/24's at sea level. I also do believe that he can loose to a GTR because of that transmission. Just look at the LP560 and how much faster it is than the old Gallardo. It has only 20-30 bhp more, but it is a full 3/4 seconds faster than the old car if not more.

The new PDK 997 Turbo just ran a 11 seconds flat at 128 in CD or MT magazine. That is a full 3/4 seconds faster than the Manual and more so than the tip.

These new transmissions are extremely efficient. The GTR's tranny is the equalizer. Without it, it is a big fat hog and the probable reason why Nissan did not put the car out with a manual.

to top it off, OP has the worst trans you can get in a turbo. An automatic

Old 02-27-2010, 08:55 AM
KICKINIT is infamous around these parts
The GT-R is butt ugly no matter how fast it is or isn't. The Nissan 370 looks better.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:29 AM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by KICKINIT
The GT-R is butt ugly no matter how fast it is or isn't. The Nissan 370 looks better.
I've never been around a GT-R but they seem to be very fast and a great road car. I agree w/ the post above. Yet the 370 is very cheap feeling and looking on the inside. I was very disapointed and backed out of buying a brand new 370Z Nismo ( sp? ) because of the lack of options and the cheap finish. I ended up buying my used X50 and I'm so glad I did!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.