996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tilton Clutch....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 08:40 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Tilton Clutch....

I generally find it hard to stomach much of the pricing structure in the Porsche world, at least compared to domestic pricing. Having just swallowed a very large outlay for a new to me GT2 gearbox, my opinions on Porsche pricing is reinforced. For those that are interested, a NEW GT2 trans is 17K, a reman is 10K with a roughly 2K core, a turbo box new is 12K and a reman box is 7800 with a 1700 core. I got lucky with my GT2 box price on a unit that was new with less than 500 miles on the clock.... which brings me to the God awful expensive Tilton clutch. I dont think I could ever bring myself to condone or rationalize a 7k clutch but having driven it for a 100 or so miles and two passes down the Goliad runway I actually believe it is worth the money, as painful as that is for me to say. At high power levels with these cars everything is a trade off or a compromise. This clutch is a sweet unit that provides near stock driving feel and takeup but can handle more power than almost anyone in the Porsche world can throw at it. Aside from stock, this is the best clutch I have had and would recommend it to anyone who is building a high hp Turbo. Also, I believe the rebuild kits for the Tilton are very inexpensive and with the proper service this clutch should last many , many thousands of miles. Looking forward to getting it home and doing some daily driving with it...

Old 04-03-2010, 09:07 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
After almost 10 years of having clutch cars I think the Tilton clutch was the best single investment I've put in the car as far as performance modifications. It drives even better than stock in my opinion.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:06 PM
racegate is on a distinguished road
What are the other full carbon clutch options out there? No question the Tilton is the best of the best.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:43 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
I can remember back in 2003 pioneering with Wevo and S Car Go Racing the use of the Tilton clutch on the 996tt. At the time it was not readily accepted or acknowledged for use on the 996tt.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:59 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
I appreciate your comments on the Tilton, Kevin.

What clutch were you using last and what were your experiances with that one?

Old 04-04-2010, 07:21 AM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Subscribed. I'm really interested in this whole "clutch" thing everyone is buzzing about.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:35 AM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
I can not comment on the Tilton clutch but for half the price my ATS clutch is strong as ever with out any problems. My car makes around 1200 RWHP and I truly abuse this car, motor and tranny weekly! For those who live in Texas we are blessed to have some incredible cars so taking a ride in Powell's or mine will provide you a good comparison to base your decision.
Just my thoughts
Robert

Old 04-04-2010, 07:54 AM
houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !
Kevin, I have had Tilton's in my Supra's for years now. The Tilton was a GREAT "can do everything" clutch for me, but on this Supra, I decided to go with a quad disc OS Giken clutch. Mainly b/c it was 1/2 the cost and I never drag race (the OS wouldn't hold up to drag racing duties for long whereas the Tilton would). The OS drives very much like the Tilton IMO. Anyhow, if you want the BEST OF THE BEST, Tilton is the way to go.
Peter

Old 04-04-2010, 07:57 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VividRacingTX
Subscribed. I'm really interested in this whole "clutch" thing everyone is buzzing about.
Just buy the smurfmobile & be done with it.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:09 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by robmd99
I can not comment on the Tilton clutch but for half the price my ATS clutch is strong as ever with out any problems. My car makes around 1200 RWHP and I truly abuse this car, motor and tranny weekly! For those who live in Texas we are blessed to have some incredible cars so taking a ride in Powell's or mine will provide you a good comparison to base your decision.
Just my thoughts
Robert
My understanding for drag racing the ATS is a better clutch. I believe it was introduced to the community by VR Alexander through Protomotive.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:24 AM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MBailey
I appreciate your comments on the Tilton, Kevin.

What clutch were you using last and what were your experiances with that one?
Mike, I went from stock to a Clutchmasters Kevlar/Fibertuff disc with a resprung plate. I tried that setup with the stock hyd assist as well as as the gt2 slave delete. I then tried a higher clamping Sachs pressure plate that was a factory Sachs option with a ceramic 6 puck disc, then finished up with the Tilton. The middle setups were much more manageable with the gt2 slave delete in my experience.... Tilton is just one of those things that is expensive but worth the money...

Old 04-04-2010, 09:27 AM
KPG
Originally Posted by houstonT
Kevin, I have had Tilton's in my Supra's for years now. The Tilton was a GREAT "can do everything" clutch for me, but on this Supra, I decided to go with a quad disc OS Giken clutch. Mainly b/c it was 1/2 the cost and I never drag race (the OS wouldn't hold up to drag racing duties for long whereas the Tilton would). The OS drives very much like the Tilton IMO. Anyhow, if you want the BEST OF THE BEST, Tilton is the way to go.
Peter
Peter, I was not very familiar with OS Giken until recently. I did come across the clutch you are referring to and it looks like a great unit. I hope their new Super-Lock LSD is as good to me as their clutch has been to you...

Old 04-04-2010, 09:29 AM
KPG
Originally Posted by robmd99
Just my thoughts
Robert
Robert, how has it held up at the dragstrip or the TX mile type standing start events... the point I am trying to make is a roll on is probably the easiest event for any clutch....

Old 04-04-2010, 06:15 PM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
subscribed...good info

Old 04-04-2010, 06:23 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Thanks for the report Kevin. Sounds like a one time "HIT" and relatively reasonable after that "HIT"...Do you have any drag strip time on it?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tilton Clutch....