996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Help with next vehicle purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 11:44 AM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
I think when you research Range Rovers, you will find a long list of problems... no offense to RR owners, do your research and let us know what you find. :P

GTR back seat isn't very big either...

Cayenne GTS and M5 are my picks... both roomy for the long road trips you are talking about and both sporty enough. Everything else is just not big enough for your initial requirement for space.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:50 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
e90 over the gtr... you already got a turbo.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:58 AM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
The funny thing, those are the exact 2 cars I had it (temporarily) narrowed down to this weekend.
Haha, well, if you're anything like me, I change decisions 20 times before the day is over!

But my take is this:

Not really a fan of SUVs so the Cayenne would be out. M5, if you want more room, I think this would be a good car for trips. M6 is a cool car, but I think there are other cars that can what it can do, better. C63 imo is a hot car...but I don't know enough about it...and see it more like a wife car tbh (I don't know why). S5 is kind of eh to me...I've thought about it to replace my E46 M3 daily, but when it comes time, it will probably be an e92 m3. GTR, is surprising very comfy from the seats, and doesn't seem to ride too rough. E90x, driven before and very comfortable and refined. Not as much as a "drivers" car anymore but that's ok if you are looking for comfort vs. raw feeling. They say the E36 m3 is even more fun than the e46 m3 so I guess as the generations progress, they get more refined.

Always fun to debate huh?

Jack

Old 05-24-2010, 12:06 PM
phillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to behold
Mercedes G55 Kompressor.

Hands down the best SUV.
I take mine to the dunes... trails... long road trips.... and run high 12's.

Mine has 125k miles already... minimal problems... owning it for 4 years.. its been in the shop only for minor problems.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:08 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by phillym5
Mercedes G55 Kompressor.

Hands down the best SUV.
I take mine to the dunes... trails... long road trips.... and run high 12's.

Mine has 125k miles already... minimal problems... owning it for 4 years.. its been in the shop only for minor problems.
Josh,

That thing runs high 12's? Holy crap!

Old 05-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by s14roller
Haha, well, if you're anything like me, I change decisions 20 times before the day is over!

But my take is this:

Not really a fan of SUVs so the Cayenne would be out. M5, if you want more room, I think this would be a good car for trips. M6 is a cool car, but I think there are other cars that can what it can do, better. C63 imo is a hot car...but I don't know enough about it...and see it more like a wife car tbh (I don't know why). S5 is kind of eh to me...I've thought about it to replace my E46 M3 daily, but when it comes time, it will probably be an e92 m3. GTR, is surprising very comfy from the seats, and doesn't seem to ride too rough. E90x, driven before and very comfortable and refined. Not as much as a "drivers" car anymore but that's ok if you are looking for comfort vs. raw feeling. They say the E36 m3 is even more fun than the e46 m3 so I guess as the generations progress, they get more refined.

Always fun to debate huh?

Jack
Good stuff. Thanks.

I like SUVs, so I'll keep them in the mix. Curious about the C63 (or E63). I think I need to drive one.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 05-24-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:34 PM
needforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to behold
I definitely wouldn't rule out the E63, would fit your space requirements better and from everything ive heard from friends they are great

Old 05-24-2010, 12:50 PM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
Well its not on your list, but I had a very similar choice, and settled on the 335. The M3 felt kinda useless with a 996tt sitting next to it. The 335's are pushing mid 500 rwhp with the upgraded turbos. and 370rwhp or so with just a tune. 24mpg, 400awhp . and pretty much no one has any idea what it is.....

Old 05-24-2010, 12:51 PM
str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
What do you think of the GTS?
Love the look and sound of the GTS. But IMHO... the Turbo is the way to go. You will look back one day an wish you had bought a turbo/turbo S .... We all know you love speed Scott....

BTW... my brother has a E63 and that car is SICK! If you haven't looked at one already you should definately put it on your list. That or a E55....

Old 05-24-2010, 01:30 PM
NelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to behold
Next vehicle

Have had both the Cayenne Turbo S and E60M5, E90 M3 and GTR and can tell you that they are all very good long distance cars. Yes, the GTR's rear seat room is limited but roomier than one would think for kids-plus it's got performance galore(4k in mild ecu/ exhaust mods provides 550whp/tq.-on pump fuel). Cayenne would be the most practical combo hauler/open road ride-plus off road capable. GTR would be the best performer. M5 is a larger version of the M3 with great open road performance. All are heavy but the GTR hides it best. E90 M3 is a smaller, more tossable version of the M5 and very practical DD-I still have my M3 but had the Cayenne Turbo for the most miles(had no problems in over 45k). Just depends on what you need.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:58 PM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Scott I'd look at a GTR and also a low mileage E55 in addition to the E63. They can be had for dirt cheap even with low miles are pretty bullet-proof and a ton of fun to drive. Very fast for a big heavy sedan and a chip and pulley can make them that much faster. I like the 55 motors over the 63 motors because of the low end torque. They are great DD's.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bmoores
Scott I'd look at a GTR and also a low mileage E55 in addition to the E63. They can be had for dirt cheap even with low miles are pretty bullet-proof and a ton of fun to drive. Very fast for a big heavy sedan and a chip and pulley can make them that much faster. I like the 55 motors over the 63 motors because of the low end torque. They are great DD's.
+1... I was going to say CLS55/63. I'd also say stay away from the RRS. Mine had a lot of little annoying things go wrong and although none of them left me stranded, the truck was in the shop more times than I care to remember.

Edwin

Old 05-24-2010, 02:05 PM
DBV
DBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud of
My vote would be to go with either the Cayenne GTS, E60 M5 or maybe even consider a used Audi S8

Old 05-24-2010, 02:22 PM
rh888888 is infamous around these partsrh888888 is infamous around these parts
What about the Lexus ISF. My Lexus dealer treats me like a king and I never bought a car from them and from what I hear from other owners most of there dealers are like that. Plus 416hp 371lb ft torque 0-60 4.6 is pretty impressive

Old 05-24-2010, 02:43 PM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
You have a GT2 for sport now step into luxury and get the LS 460. I love mine it is a great cruiser & DD.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help with next vehicle purchase