996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Help with next vehicle purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 07:39 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Scott,

The M cars, since 2006 when they severed ties w/ Chrysler have become very reliable.

I would go w/ the E63. Actually, I would go w/ the new 2010 E 550. Go drive one they are really supreme family haulers and have plenty of power.

Remeber, you always have your GT2 if you want to go fast. Heck, I went w/ the 6 banger and am very happy, I drive my E350 when I want to cruise and relax.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:42 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
You can drive it off the lot for $61K: http://www.edmunds.com/new/2010/merc...49/prices.html

Edmunds rates it a phenomenally high 8.5. I have not had one issue w/ my E.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:46 AM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, these new Merc are really ugly imo....

Old 05-25-2010, 07:57 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
I've taken my little ones (4 - 8yrs) on a trip for a couple of hours... They prefer it over the roomier minivan (with every damn option available). My 8yr old loves the attention the car still gets after 2yrs, and my 4 yr old thinks it's the greatest car ever.

That being said - for family trips for extended timed periods, I'd recommend the CTS-V, the IS-F, and the M3 Sedan. Why not? How big are your kids, and how long do you plan on keeping it?

*edit: My 14yr old just asked me to pick him up from school on Friday, my 19yr old daughter wants to take it out this weekend, and my wife loves being my DD. It is a better family car than any other I've ever had. Endless trips to Lowes, grocery stores, etc... The trunk is actually something you can use.

Last edited by jaspergtr; 05-25-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:56 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
I think Scott has so many choices that he can sit back and study them for about 5 years

one parting shot, if you want CGT sound and a nice classy cool ride this is it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDc_B...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOudz...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gg6mh6j2rc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3GVo...eature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJqMX...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt1_OKkZzp4&feature=fvw

Sorry scott, I know your decision is tough.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:56 AM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Scott, my brother got a GTS for a loaner and he said it was the nicest vehicle he ever drove. He went out and bought one later that week.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:46 AM
EnzoXYZ is infamous around these parts
You have a truck already so I vote for the M5.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:48 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 9Eleven
Scott, my brother got a GTS for a loaner and he said it was the nicest vehicle he ever drove. He went out and bought one later that week.

I drove a GTS on a short track and it was an incredible handling vehicle, much better than many sports cars.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:02 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
I found that vid with the GT-R and M5 kind of funny...

After the first run, the GT-R turned rather uneventfully, where the M5 damn near lost it. Of course a modified car starting with 500HP will be better on the top end than a car with 480HP - does this really surprise anybody? Perhaps the GT-R owner should get a class on what the GT-R was NOT made for... If he wants to do high-speed runs, he should at least get an AP, Y-pipe or something.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:05 AM
drjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the rough
I love my GTS, its not the fastest suv, but is roomy, handles, and looks amazing. Im not going to be drag racing in it since most of the time the wife and kids are riding with me. Also the value has held pretty strong compared to the rest of the cars.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:07 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by drjoe
I love my GTS, its not the fastest suv, but is roomy, handles, and looks amazing. Im not going to be drag racing in it since most of the time the wife and kids are riding with me. Also the value has held pretty strong compared to the rest of the cars.
Yours is awesome Joe! I'd take it any day.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:09 AM
drjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
I found that vid with the GT-R and M5 kind of funny...

After the first run, the GT-R turned rather uneventfully, where the M5 damn near lost it. Of course a modified car starting with 500HP will be better on the top end than a car with 480HP - does this really surprise anybody? Perhaps the GT-R owner should get a class on what the GT-R was NOT made for... If he wants to do high-speed runs, he should at least get an AP, Y-pipe or something.
It looks like it was for fun, not Monaco....

Old 05-25-2010, 10:23 AM
Site Sponsor
DrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond repute
Scott, I will be selling my CL in about 5-6 months, doesnt get any more luxurious then my ride with 680hp and 900+tq

Old 05-25-2010, 03:27 PM
earlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud of
Had a e90 M3 4dr with the V8 before I got the GT2, there's not a better car out there for the parameters you've defined. Cayenne would be more family friendly, but less fun.

New M3 is just the best all-around car you can buy, period. It's fast, handles extremely well, has all the bluetooth, nav goodies, etc. and can fit your family up to mid teens. Just a phenomenal car, almost too good. It's faster than it feels.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:42 PM
wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !
funny you left the 335i off the list, My best friend ( he is a member here) was shopping one against an M3 4 door.

He ended up with the 335i 4 door ( with the M sport) and absolutley loves it, since he added the ECU tune to it it's pleny fast enough. Living with it every day is a breeze. the 335iX might be a better choice if you ever encounter poor weather.

How 'bout an RS6 ( do they still make those? I'm sure sure, it's not offered in Canadaland)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help with next vehicle purchase