996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Gbox detent

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 11:17 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Gbox detent

I ordered the GBOD 2nd gear detent today. Dan at Speed Gallery feels strongly that a stainless steel price will replace a weaker, more malleable unit that is subject to some wear. This may go along way to preventing 2nd gear poput in the first place.

My car looks and feels like new. Literally. I want to keep it that way. It seems very worth it to do this. It's cheap insurance. Those that have done it feel that it really works with second really feeling like it "slots" in place better.

It's inexpensive at some $70 and is very easy to install with the car on a lift.

I'll update in a week or so.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 07-27-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:43 PM
legendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud of
After I installed the detent, the shifter definitely feels more solid and crisp. I can't speak about the 2nd gear pop out issue since my car never experienced it.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:20 AM
coastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant future
I too have bought the detent but have not installed it yet. I don't have any pop-out symptoms, but I want to avoid any potential future issues.

Are you doing the install yourself? Have you been under your car to take a look at the detent location? I have and there is no way I would call the job easy if the transmission is in the car.

I spent a good 20 minutes under the car pondering it and finally decided to give up for the evening and I would attempt it again another day

I'm subscribed! I definitely want to hear how your experience goes and any pointer you may have

Old 07-30-2010, 12:31 AM
coastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant future
Oh yeah - Pictures and a write-up would be nice too if you have a chance.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:03 AM
@l996 is just really nice@l996 is just really nice@l996 is just really nice@l996 is just really nice
How long would a qualified shop take to do this install? I like the idea of cheap insurance against the pop-out issue.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:16 AM
legendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by @l996
How long would a qualified shop take to do this install? I like the idea of cheap insurance against the pop-out issue.
the independent Porsche shop charged me 1 hour of labor

Old 07-30-2010, 05:36 AM
DERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of light
GREAT part...anybody who has a 996 ,its a must do....part install time...4 minutes, gettin ready to remove plug that holds it about a hour.... Just tight up there is all.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:07 AM
BMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by coastalb55
Oh yeah - Pictures and a write-up would be nice too if you have a chance.
A quick search reveals some information that may assist you:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...insurance.html

Renntrack has a super write-up with photos:
http://www.renntrack.com/forums/show...278-Detent-DIY

Old 07-30-2010, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by BMiller33
A quick search reveals some information that may assist you:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...insurance.html

Renntrack has a super write-up with photos:
http://www.renntrack.com/forums/show...278-Detent-DIY

Yep, already got all of that. But even the Renntrack write-up didn't prepare me for how tight it is up under there.

I don't have a rack readily accessible, so I was on my back under the car which didn't make it any easier.

I may make another attempt today if time allows.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:03 PM
OK, I got back under the car and have had success removing the first bolt. Now I'm stuck trying to get the 8mm detent cover off. The Long handled allen key I am attempting to use is just too big. There is no room to maneuver it. I can get it on the the cover but have no room to torque on it due to the position of the handle next to various bits of the car.

I'm going to run to the hardware store and pick up an 8 mm allen socket. I think that and the extensions I used earlier will do the trick.

Last edited by coastalb55; 07-30-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:24 PM
DERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of light
Costal...go get a 8mm allen wrench, with a grinder cut off a 1" hunk, then get a 8mm little gearwrench...super easy this way, put the 1" hunk in the nut then slip the gearwrench over it..bam out she comes. Now to bust it loose take the allen other part you still have and put it in the nut,then you use a prybar and a hunk of wood to crack it loose then go to the gearwrench...

I hope the guy who invented gearwrenches is a billionare cause they are amazing.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:04 PM
yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ari
I ordered the GBOD 2nd gear detent today. Dan at Speed Gallery feels strongly that a stainless steel price will replace a weaker, more malleable unit that is subject to some wear. This may go along way to preventing 2nd gear poput in the first place.

My car looks and feels like new. Literally. I want to keep it that way. It seems very worth it to do this. It's cheap insurance. Those that have done it feel that it really works with second really feeling like it "slots" in place better.

It's inexpensive at some $70 and is very easy to install with the car on a lift.

I'll update in a week or so.
$70 dont forget $14 turbo tax on shipping

Old 07-30-2010, 05:10 PM
yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by coastalb55
Yep, already got all of that. But even the Renntrack write-up didn't prepare me for how tight it is up under there.

I don't have a rack readily accessible, so I was on my back under the car which didn't make it any easier.

I may make another attempt today if time allows.
use a reall long 1/4 extension to loosen transmission bolt. loosen it from far is much easier than trying to squeeze ur hand in a tiny spot.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by yllwturbo
use a reall long 1/4 extension to loosen transmission bolt. loosen it from far is much easier than trying to squeeze ur hand in a tiny spot.
Yeah, I ended up doing that. But I still had to wiggle my hand up there to get the socket on the bolt head.

Andy

Old 07-30-2010, 10:21 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Yllwturbo and I are doing this upgrade at the same time. We'll report

What's up Richie? I'm ready for that race. Just got retuned!! 660 HP and 700 ft/lb @ 1.3 BAR holy ****!! It's a MONSTER!!

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 07-30-2010 at 10:26 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gbox detent