996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Please help me identify source of vibration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 01:25 PM
tomjack will become famous soon enoughtomjack will become famous soon enough
Please help me identify source of vibration

2001 911tt, tip.

There is a very noticeable vibration, almost like a grinding, when I am accelerating while cornering. It doesn't appear while driving in a straight line, and it's not noticeable while cornering at a constant rate, only when accelerating. The harder I accelerate, the more pronounced it is.

I took it to a Porsche mechanic- he thought it was due to the front diff. fluid being a little low, so he topped it off. I didn't notice much of a difference afterwords, but my friend did. Lately, though, it's very noticeable. (it could, in fact, have nothing at all to do with the front diff)

Any ideas before I start spending a lot of money troubleshooting? This is my first Porsche and I've only had it for 2 months, so I'm not all that familiar yet. Thanks!

Old 08-31-2010, 01:36 PM
RiA
RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !
Considering when this happens, I'd start looking at motor and transmission mounts.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:05 PM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
check the trans mounts too.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:06 PM
Thanks. Are theses mounts a common problem?

Old 08-31-2010, 04:10 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
We're guessing here, of course. But since someone thought it was your front diff, I'm guessing the sound comes from the front. That would kind of rule out the motor and tranny mounts. I'd be looking at front wheel bearings and maybe the CV joints.

Jon

Old 08-31-2010, 08:12 PM
joyride has a spectacular aura aboutjoyride has a spectacular aura aboutjoyride has a spectacular aura about
it might be wheel bearings

Old 08-31-2010, 08:47 PM
DERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of light
its wheel bearings, change all 4, its a crappy design Ive changed quite a few

Old 08-31-2010, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by FAST FWD
We're guessing here, of course. But since someone thought it was your front diff, I'm guessing the sound comes from the front. That would kind of rule out the motor and tranny mounts. I'd be looking at front wheel bearings and maybe the CV joints.

Jon

The sound isn't necessarily coming from the front. In fact, it's more of a "feel." It could be coming from the front or rear- hard to tell.

What does it typically cost to replace the wheel bearings?

Old 09-01-2010, 05:22 AM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tomjack
The sound isn't necessarily coming from the front. In fact, it's more of a "feel." It could be coming from the front or rear- hard to tell.

What does it typically cost to replace the wheel bearings?
Unfortunately, it's rather expensive because the labor cost is high. Wheel carriers have to be removed and the bearing pressed out, the new one pressed in. As I recall, standard labor rate is 3-4 hours per bearing. I might be wrong - that could be for the front axles. I've had both done recently.

Good luck.

Jon

Old 09-03-2010, 12:20 PM
DERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of light
Yeah its a pain to do...I wrote a nice DIY in the tech section. Everything has to come apart and a lot of careful presswork.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Quick follow up- turns out it was the transmission mount- both of the rubber mounts were completely broken inside the housing. The vibration I was feeling in corners must have been the metal to metal contact because there was no rubber insulation in there any more.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:16 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Upgrade to the 997TT part. It's made better and fits the 996TT.