996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Built and installed my own gt2 mod kit with instructions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 07:50 AM
tbarcelo is a glorious beacon of lighttbarcelo is a glorious beacon of lighttbarcelo is a glorious beacon of lighttbarcelo is a glorious beacon of lighttbarcelo is a glorious beacon of light
GT2 Clutch slave conversion questions

For anyone that has done this before, I've got a few questions:

Parts question ...

So I ordered the parts for this mod from Sunset Imports. For the clutch spring, they sent me 996 423 081 18 which is supposed to replace 996 423 081 13.

Can anyone verify that this won't cause me any trouble?

What's the recommendation on Pentosin ... does it really matter whether you get 11S or 202? How much do I need? Will 1L cover it?

DOT 4 brake fluid for the clutch ... any recommendations on brand? Again, how much?

Thanks!

Old 11-06-2010, 01:21 PM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
The spring I order was supposed to replace a different model as well, it works fine, but if they came out with another new model spring I'd use it. The only difference I saw between the oem spring and the gt2's was the spring was a different color, other than that it looked the same. As far as pentosin I went with the fluid recommend by Porsche chf 11s, it's what came out so best to put the same back in. I used just over a liter and bought it at lordco (autoparts store in Canada). As far as the dot4 I used prestone synthetic dot4 about 4 liters worth as I flushed the system many many times to make sure I fully got all the old pentosin out before I made the final connections. It's relatively cheap and you can always return what you don't use. JUST MAKE SURE you flush the system well. You don't want to do this twice.
Here's my update, had the system on now for a while, driving around in heavy traffic everyday and it is so much better. I really wouldn't say it's any heavier just way more direct. You can feel the contact point and you actually look like you can drive a stick instead of the oem inconsistent feel. Well worth the time and not expensive at all if you do it this way Hope this helps

Last edited by gearhead; 11-06-2010 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-07-2010, 05:31 AM
tbarcelo is a glorious beacon of lighttbarcelo is a glorious beacon of lighttbarcelo is a glorious beacon of lighttbarcelo is a glorious beacon of lighttbarcelo is a glorious beacon of light
gearhead,

Thanks again for all your helpful info on this topic. I'm hoping to give it a try with the coming months before my garage gets too cold! I'll post to the list once complete.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:39 PM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
No problem, glad I could help. Sorry it took so long to respond, good luck with it. I am no mechanic but I can turn a wrench(lefty loosy, righty tighty correct?) if I can figure it out anybody can. You're going to love it.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:31 PM
kwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud of
Has anyone sourced the end piece to make their own hose for this kit? My hose failed and I want to replace the threaded end piece with one of the same dimensions and size, but with barbs on the shaft to help keep the hose from sliding off. Anyone have info on that piece please let me know, would greatly appreciate it!

Justin

Old 03-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Great post!
thanks!

Old 03-01-2011, 06:20 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
awesome post!! seems a little intimidating at my mechanical skill level...I'm still at brake pads, rotors, and vehicle fluids/lubricants stage of the game

Old 03-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Sounds like this is a job for Speed Gallery

I'm not sure if "the kids are too young to allow me to get this job done" excuse still works. I'm just lazy!!

Old 03-02-2011, 10:12 AM
bsprad is on a distinguished road
It appears that the GT2 uses pentosin for the clutch actuation. Why the switch to DOT4 fluid?

Old 03-02-2011, 12:36 PM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
The GT2 uses DOT4 fluid.

Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2011, 01:49 PM
Definitely DOT4, nothing else you will destroy it otherwise. You can't even have residual pentosin in there, it has to be ALL cleaned out before reinstall of gt2 parts.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:12 PM
snopdog911 is on a distinguished road
[quote=gearhead;2969081]This is how I built my own gt2 slave conversion kit, cost and any tips I found, I would say this mod on a level of 1-10, 10 being most difficult I would rate it a 4 but an 8 in accessibility and messy.
It took me about 7-8 hours by myself on my back with the car on 2 jack stands, with basic hand tools.
Parts needed:

GT2 mod bracket, dgreen78 on this web site sells them ($200.00) worked perfectly
4 allen head mounting bolts M10-1.5x45mm (size-threading x length) ($3.00)
3 small adjustable hose clamps 5/8th diameter ($1.50)
2 metal bolts (plugs) will explain ($0.80)
GT2 slave part number 996 116 237 90 ($125.25)
GT2 master part number 996 423 171 06 ($64.50)
GT2 assist spring part number 996 423 081 13 ($57.75)
Brake fluid reservoir cap part number 996 355 119 01 ($4.00)
GT2 hydraulic hose 996 423 377 90 ($115.25) this is optional build your own for $25-$30 I will explain below.

where is the best place to find these prices?

Old 04-19-2011, 09:23 PM
nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !
Great tutorial! Thanks.

I may convert to the GT2 MC and slave. I hate the "feel diminishing" power assist clutch. Now if we could only come up with a mechanical throttle cable and loose the electronic BS, we may get the car to feel like we're actually in control of a few things.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:45 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
So we're talking $585 in parts if you go with the GT2 hydraulic hose or about $500 if you make the hose yourself...

I think this is excellent! In fact if you creat your own kit and mark it up say 20% so it's $600 I would still go this route and get your kit.

Now the real question if installation! Gotta find a shop willing to do this for a reasonable price, 8 out of 10 is above my skill level...I am at fluid changes, and brake pads/rotors, and routine maintainance stuff for DIY...

Old 04-20-2011, 09:07 PM
Pelican parts is where I got mine from

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Built and installed my own gt2 mod kit with instructions