996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Built and installed my own gt2 mod kit with instructions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 11:53 PM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
Don, you machine the mushroom flare into it to hold it in the gt2 slave?

Old 10-31-2011, 04:06 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Dgreen you are tuly a DIY pioneer and great person to have on the boards, from the coolent hose fix now to this...great work.

Keep it up buddy
Oh and flying you out to UK is actually more cost effective than most of the shops outright labor cost, assuming you do it for a discounted rate vs. normal shop hrs !

Originally Posted by dgreen78
Sure, fly me out and I will do it for ya, I need a vacation

If anyone is interested, I can also machine some rods to spec so you dont have two weld to pieces together.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:52 PM
fastawd will become famous soon enoughfastawd will become famous soon enough
slave rod length for better engagement point

I was thinking of doing this mod and I understand the feel will be more predictable of engagement but...

Will the clutch engagement point still be high in the clutch pedal release like the stock 996tt clutch? It gets uncomfortable to drive the car with the engagement so high up in the pedal release.

If so, is it possible to change the slave rod length for an engagement closer to the floor? Does anyone know what the ideal slave rod length is to use and where to get it?

Old 12-05-2011, 02:17 AM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
Fastawd, I can only speak for myself. I have a stock clutch and pressure plate and my engagement point is just a little after it starts coming off the floor. And by half way up it's fully engaged. To me it feels right. Not too high not too low. I reused my oem turbos slave pushrod as I mentioned in the post. It's probably why evoms does it this way as well.
Most guys mod the pushrods making a turbo/gt2 hybrid is so it makes the install easier as it will be the right length(turbo) and have less chance slipping off into the bell housing during install because of the mushroom flare (gt2) . As well I would say the force needed to apply to depress the clutch pedal fully is only slightly harder and I mean slightly. Now I'd have to drive a stock slave setup to remind myself of the difference. It's well worth the effort and glad I did it. Highly recommend.
Again this is with my setup, if you have a upgraded clutch or pressure plate your results might be slightly different. But definetly still worth the effort as the "feel" is there and makes for much smoother shifts. As well I hear most stock slaves go out sooner with upgraded clutches/pressure plates as it requires more force to move them around. So clutch pedal force might be heavier if this is your case.
Hope this helps your decision.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:59 AM
fastawd will become famous soon enoughfastawd will become famous soon enough
Sounds like the perfect clutch to me! Excellent post and information which is much appreciated. Now I just need to convince the wife to watch all the kids while I do the install.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:07 AM
Dr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of light
I'm in the process of installing my GT2 slave right now. Thanks for the write up gearhead! It's been very informative!

Old 12-05-2011, 08:15 AM
tbarcelo is a glorious beacon of lighttbarcelo is a glorious beacon of lighttbarcelo is a glorious beacon of lighttbarcelo is a glorious beacon of lighttbarcelo is a glorious beacon of light
I agree with gearhead. I have the stock clutch / pressure plate (at least I think I do) and I followed gearhead's instructions (i.e. unmodified rod). My clutch engagement point seems perfect - not too high and not too low.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Thanks guys glad to help.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:08 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
I have the evoms kit and it came with a rod. I was advised not to use the stock rod and use the one in the kit. Maybe something new?

Old 12-05-2011, 01:26 PM
Dr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of light
I'd like to get the GT2 mushroom flare welded to the stock rod, but I don't have a GT2 rod or a place around here that I trust to do the welding. Anyone have any hookups?

Old 12-05-2011, 01:52 PM
tbarcelo is a glorious beacon of lighttbarcelo is a glorious beacon of lighttbarcelo is a glorious beacon of lighttbarcelo is a glorious beacon of lighttbarcelo is a glorious beacon of light
Frankly, we should just get the measurements to dgreen78 so that he can make them for us. I've already done the mod, but I would happily swap out to the frankenstein rod whenever I have to change the clutch. if I could easily buy one from dgreen, I would do so in preparation for a future swap.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:57 PM
It sounds like the stock rod length would be fine for me, but I'm just worried about dropping the damn thing into my bell housing. I'd definitely pick one up if dgreen or anyone else sold a franken-rod.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:15 PM
awdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant future
Great thread and write up! I just got my slave bracket from dgreen! I also just PM him in regards to the machined gt2 slave rod he machines, Looking forward to his response!

Old 03-22-2012, 07:44 AM
Has anyone tried the new machined rods, yet? I wouldn't mind getting one for whenever I end up doing a clutch job. It would be good to not have to worry about the OEM rod from falling into the bellhousing.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:54 AM
awdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by tbarcelo
Has anyone tried the new machined rods, yet? I wouldn't mind getting one for whenever I end up doing a clutch job. It would be good to not have to worry about the OEM rod from falling into the bellhousing.
I am awaiting the response from dgreen, As soon as i get it my cars goes back together. i will keep you posted.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Built and installed my own gt2 mod kit with instructions