996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

GT2 to Gallardo....looking for advice!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 12:29 PM
Racin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant future
GT2 to Gallardo....looking for advice!!

It's a long wet winter in canada and I found myself thinking about selling the GT2 and getting into a Gallardo. I am looking for input on the gallardo and any advice on the service side.

The GT2 does everything well, hauls *** but isn't visually stimulating.

I drove a Gallardo back in 04 and I was not thrilled with the power but the look and sound(Tubi exhaust) were intoxicating.

Are there any converts from TT cars to Gallardos here?

The proper thing to do would be to keep the GT2 and get a Gallardo but finances dictate otherwise.

TIA

Old 12-17-2010, 12:42 PM
Mikkofin is on a distinguished road
Been thinking the same thing recently (though "upgrading" from a 966TT).

The maintenance costs seem almost rediculously high compared to Porsches. Clutch every 10K miles being the worst.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:40 PM
BOOMER7 is on a distinguished road
Get the Gallardo. Try and stay with an 06 or newer. Great car and lot's of fun. I love my TURBO S 911 but get the "rush" from the G.
Clutch needs replaced approx every 8,000-10,000 miles at a cost of about 6k. I've had mine 2 years and driven 6k problem free miles.

Last edited by BOOMER7; 12-17-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:45 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Pros:
- better sound
- better looks
- the most reliable and practical exotic money can buy (and it's pretty cheap too)
- more balanced and planted

Cons:
- higher maint and repair costs (not just on clutch jobs alone)
- AWD gets more grip but feels less in touch with the road
- too much attention so can't take the cars to certain places
- less qualified shops / dealers. But parts are easy to get, unlike ferrari that takes weeks and even months.

If you modify your GT2 with some sharkwerks exhaust, you can probably achieve better sound while retaining reliability of a Porsche.

I switched from a 996 NA to a 05 Gallardo. Couldn't be happier. I think a true exotic sound and look are worth the tradeoff. I care less if GT2 was slightly faster. Make sure you have a DD and get the Gallardo with an exhaust like LOC, quicksilver, kreissieg, etc.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:56 PM
Duff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond repute
Also looking to hear people's experiences from tt/gt2 to a gallardo.

Is it just the egear that needs the clutches every 8-10k, from what ive researched the manuals get alot better clutch life.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:07 PM
Racin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant future
I think i'm going to go with a 06 or newer manual trans. Sort of a sideways move but it should be a blast to tool around town in!!

Exhaust is a must, i may fab up my own exhaust if time permits.

My friends 04 manula trans gallardo went 20,000 miles and still had 50% clutch life left in it.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:36 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
gee i have heard very bad things about reliabilty. is in if your gonna drive from sacramento to carmel be sure you have a tech to work on the car becauce you will not make it round trip.... that statement was made by my tech of 20 years, while he was doing service on the same .... love the sound love the looks but porsches are faster and me thinks more bullet proof imo but i still want a lambo, just cant find the 200grand

Old 12-17-2010, 03:37 PM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
RACING JASON get a BLACK LAMBO niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

Old 12-17-2010, 03:40 PM
AlphaDog28 is a splendid one to beholdAlphaDog28 is a splendid one to beholdAlphaDog28 is a splendid one to beholdAlphaDog28 is a splendid one to beholdAlphaDog28 is a splendid one to beholdAlphaDog28 is a splendid one to beholdAlphaDog28 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by djantlive
Pros:
- better sound
- better looks
- the most reliable and practical exotic money can buy (and it's pretty cheap too)
- more balanced and planted

Cons:
- higher maint and repair costs (not just on clutch jobs alone)
- AWD gets more grip but feels less in touch with the road
- too much attention so can't take the cars to certain places
- less qualified shops / dealers. But parts are easy to get, unlike ferrari that takes weeks and even months.

If you modify your GT2 with some sharkwerks exhaust, you can probably achieve better sound while retaining reliability of a Porsche.

I switched from a 996 NA to a 05 Gallardo. Couldn't be happier. I think a true exotic sound and look are worth the tradeoff. I care less if GT2 was slightly faster. Make sure you have a DD and get the Gallardo with an exhaust like LOC, quicksilver, kreissieg, etc.
He said slightly faster...hahaha!

Old 12-17-2010, 05:05 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
If you think the GT2 isn't visually stimulating then my advice is to see an ophthalmologist

However a TT Gallardo would be my ultimate car.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:11 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
I have both! Both are superb in there on way, it is like comparing a wild blond to a brainy brunette!
Robert

Old 12-17-2010, 05:35 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by robmd99
I have both! Both are superb in there on way, it is like comparing a wild blond to a brainy brunette!
Robert
Which one is which?

Old 12-17-2010, 06:09 PM
tvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond repute
Personally, I love what Porsche 911 Turbo stands for and delivers vs. Ferrari or Lambo and can care less about looking good for general audience, so I'll likely stick with the Porsche brand for the rest of my life.

That said, it's all about what you're after - it you are after exotic looks (not necessarily more attractive IMO) and exhaust sound, you should make the switch.

Either way, you'll end up with a nice machine :-)

Old 12-17-2010, 06:23 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Which one is which?
LMAO yeah i wanna know two... im guessing the wild blonde is the porsche?

i have been dealing with the same dillema for quite some time also , and went back and forth for over a year ,and decided that i could not downgrade in power , no matter how good the G looked and sounded.

so i decided to do the next logical thing, save up to throw a TT kit on the G when i get it.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:49 PM
ruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to behold
i traded in my modded 996tt for 06+ gallardo...no comparison..G is just much more viceral. I got a 6 spd manual...You will NOT need to replace clutch very often..egear diff story. Power...it is on par with a 996 x50 but NA feeling is way better IMO....have'nt missed my 996tt yet?!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT2 to Gallardo....looking for advice!!