996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Best 3 performance upgrades 996tt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 07:36 PM
imolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the rough
1. Exhaust (catback)
2. Diverter Values
3. Tune
4. Plan your bank account's impending doom by picking a route after the modding sickness and/or track sickness has taken hold and 1-3 aren't enough =)

Old 01-02-2011, 08:35 PM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
Learn how to drive your car ....
Really? What are you so cranky about?

Originally Posted by imolafem
1. Exhaust (catback)
2. Diverter Values
3. Tune
4. Plan your bank account's impending doom by picking a route after the modding sickness and/or track sickness has taken hold and 1-3 aren't enough =)
Diverted valves are maintenance doesn't count as a mod

Old 01-02-2011, 08:40 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
Learn how to drive your car ....
Personally, I like:

Drivers education course - become a better driver, learn your car.

Exhaust - not just the sound - but lowered IATs.

Then it became a toss up between flash and sways for me.

Good luck.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Banned
M3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by LiNks
Really? What are you so cranky about?

Diverted valves are maintenance doesn't count as a mod

Not cranky at all, it is by far the best and most pleasurable mod that you can have ... and once you extract everything out of your car, you can add power suspension mods and actually be able to appreciate even more.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:43 PM
Banned
porka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant future
NO 1 - Advice from other board members particulary f1crazydriver!
Seat Time
Alignment
Big Brake Kit - track/street pads
Flash

Old 01-02-2011, 11:51 PM
tvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by porka
NO 1 - Advice from other board members particulary f1crazydriver!
Seat Time
Alignment
Big Brake Kit - track/street pads
Flash
BBK seems like an overkill on the priority list, especially at the cost - 996TTs come with great brakes out of the box, more than enough for 95% of drivers running street tire/stock turbos. Until you max out the driver mod in a close to stock car, some Motul 600 and a better pad will do fine.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:04 AM
Former Vendor
Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !
How do you intend to use the car?

Any particular goals?

Old 01-03-2011, 10:10 AM
Banned
Robin@EPL will become famous soon enough
We've got you covered on a flash-- I'll PM you with some pricing. That will give you the bulk of the power gains, a quality exhaust and suspension make the car really shine.

You'll start down the slippery slope... these cars are too good to leave stock

Old 01-03-2011, 10:55 AM
Banned
porka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by tvr-4
BBK seems like an overkill on the priority list, especially at the cost - 996TTs come with great brakes out of the box, more than enough for 95% of drivers running street tire/stock turbos. Until you max out the driver mod in a close to stock car, some Motul 600 and a better pad will do fine.
I got my calipers used so was not confronted with a 3k bill in parts!

the calipers have allowed much more brake modulation, they just give me a lot more confidence on the track and on twisties!

im pretty sure that a similar result can be achieved by replacing those terrible oem pads with something a little more aggressive. oem pads offer very little bite and the brake bias is really upset.

im also running motul!

mike

Old 01-03-2011, 01:11 PM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by zeuslax
Where is the best place to purchase a 997 short shifter? I see some on ebay but I'm worried about getting a knock-off. I want to make sure that I get the 997 short shifter that will NOT void warranty.
We have the factory short shift kit here: http://www.suncoastparts.com/product//99742498300.html

Just to be clear, this is a Porsche OEM part and the car can come the factory with this option. No wear and tear on the trans, and has a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty through any porsche dealership.

Let me know if there is anything else we can help you out with...

ryan@suncoastparts.com

Old 01-03-2011, 01:48 PM
krpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to behold
Funny enough I am about 1 year removed from a similar post.
As you can see there are various opinions here, all equally intelligent from experienced drivers but the three that stick out to me are:

Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
take the porsche driving school. then decide how you will use the car and mod accordingly.
Best way to learn not only the car but your capabilities and limitations. Some mods may be more forgiving for experienced drivers than others.

Originally Posted by Seattle996
Short shift kit
Ecu tune
Exhaust

About sums it up for me. Did the ECU flash after a few months of driving. SSK coming this week...thanks to Suncoast!
Exhaust in the near future.

That will hold you over for a few months... The sickness then really kicks in. Hide your credit card.
Great advice....just make sure you have money for any unforseen needed repairs. Alternator and clutch cable came up quickly for me and were not cheap.

Originally Posted by Basic
Drive the car for awhile, get a feel for it, do tons of research. This site is full of good information, make a final goal plan and start your mods. Many directions to go, depends on your personal tastes. These are great cars, hope you enjoy your journey.
Personal taste. Key statement. Some may think I am nuts but right now I would rather upgrade my stereo system than my suspension. I am not a track driver nor a racing guru so for me it is not tops on my list.

I love the purity of these cars and with all of the various mods out there, makes me think back to high school when we had civics and integras and modded the crap out of them.
To me the more you ad the more you are begging for trouble. Please don't kill me for syaing that guys...
Sure with a great tuner etc...you will likely have less problems but the more you mix and match products and companies etc...the more you leave room for potential error.
Make sure you plan properly to make certain every modification works harmoniously with the next.
Turbo upgrades are probably never in my sights but again I came to realize my goals for the time being and I am content with them.
A lot of gurus on this site so ask questions and read. I've learned a ton from them.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:03 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Best 3 performance mods:

-Flash
-Exhaust
-Coil-Over

Old 01-03-2011, 02:32 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Seattle996
Short shift kit
Ecu tune
Exhaust

That will hold you over for a few months... The sickness then really kicks in. Hide your credit card.
+1. Don't forget the diverter valves and f-hose.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:59 PM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
The OP asked about what the best 3 performance upgrades for a 996tt are.... I don't understand all these comments about him driving the car? Even a driving lesson is not a performance upgrade. This car in stock form which is 10 years old is not that crazy of a car, its 415hp AWD, not the hardest car to drive.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:01 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Best 3 performance mods:

-Flash
-Exhaust
-Coil-Over
+1. THIS answers the OP's question...period.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best 3 performance upgrades 996tt