996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Best 3 performance upgrades 996tt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CoffeeMan
Hey guys just purchased bone stock 2003 996TT 13,000 miles, what recommendations would you have on performance upgrades. manufacturer and best source.

Well he also wanted manufacturer and best source.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:13 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
man up
do a rear wheel drive conversion
drop the car
put a chip/exhaust on it

Old 01-03-2011, 04:14 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by krpt176
To me the more you ad the more you are begging for trouble. Please don't kill me for syaing that guys...
Sure with a great tuner etc...you will likely have less problems but the more you mix and match products and companies etc...the more you leave room for potential error.
Make sure you plan properly to make certain every modification works harmoniously with the next.
I have to disagree with this statement up to a point. All my suspension mods have been a huge plus. The interior mods have been a plus. The ECU flash has been a plus.

The only time that I have seen others have problems is when they go for the extreme edge of the envelope with engine mods looking for maximum HP. Mid-range engine HP mods have shown to be reliable. That is what I am now contemplating.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:14 PM
Former Vendor
Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !
I just want to know how the car will be used and end goals to determine what he will need... There is a big difference between a road racer and a street racer...

Old 01-03-2011, 04:20 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Neil Switzer
There is a big difference between a road racer and a street racer...
Just the driver mod...

Old 01-03-2011, 04:33 PM
krpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by landjet
I have to disagree with this statement up to a point. All my suspension mods have been a huge plus. The interior mods have been a plus. The ECU flash has been a plus.

The only time that I have seen others have problems is when they go for the extreme edge of the envelope with engine mods looking for maximum HP. Mid-range engine HP mods have shown to be reliable. That is what I am now contemplating.
Sure I see your point but I think you realize what I was getting at. The same super intense HP upgrades you are referring to.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:09 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by LiNks
The OP asked about what the best 3 performance upgrades for a 996tt are.... I don't understand all these comments about him driving the car? Even a driving lesson is not a performance upgrade. This car in stock form which is 10 years old is not that crazy of a car, its 415hp AWD, not the hardest car to drive.
I will bet you that one driving lesson will allow the OP to drive his car faster than any other mod. The HP does not matter. Taking your car to a DE at a decent track will make you much faster than any bolt on modification.

DE's are performance upgrades for the number one component on the car - the nut behind the wheel!

Old 01-03-2011, 10:36 PM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
how much do you want to bet that GT30's flash exhaust as his 1st 3 mods on a public highway will make his car go a Sh*tload faster then any driver mod or DE?

Sorry my friend THE HP DOES MATTER!!!

Old 01-03-2011, 11:11 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
how much do you want to bet that GT30's flash exhaust as his 1st 3 mods on a public highway will make his car go a Sh*tload faster then any driver mod or DE?

Not on a road with turns ,

Old 01-03-2011, 11:12 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Nikolas
I will bet you that one driving lesson will allow the OP to drive his car faster than any other mod. The HP does not matter. Taking your car to a DE at a decent track will make you much faster than any bolt on modification.

DE's are performance upgrades for the number one component on the car - the nut behind the wheel!
100 % agree with you. I was at a track day with a sharkwerks car with 750 hp plus and he couldnt keep up with my 480 hp.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:25 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
What's important to you? Handling or speed?

I would say coil-overs, flash and exhaust as well.

A few other cool ideas:

15mm wheel spacers all around (21mm rear if you are willing to roll the rear fenders). The wider track looks great and helps handling.
Audi Diverter valves - I agree these are a maintenance item, but the Audi units are super cheap and are said to work great! Change to a silicone "f" pipe while you're at t.
Aggressive alignment - I like to go with pretty aggressive front camber. Really dials out under-steer and since the front tires don't really wear, you won't affect longevity
Hybridize your turbos to 16/16g and add a 5 bar FPR and you can expect to be at the limits of pump gas (600-650 HP)

Come to think of it, at today's prices you can do all of the above for about $5,000 including labor. That's the deal of the century! I've probably spent 4x times that

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 01-03-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:38 PM
Dr Kans is on a distinguished road
Hey CoffeeMan,

Welcome to the club !
I agree with the other
1 1 bar tune
2 diverter valves
3 exhaust

These three make a huge difference and are very reliable.

I will be putting up my custom exhaust soon, if your interested let me know.

Exhaust was custom made Alan at Performance in Atlanta

No CATS and just passed smog. 3" front to back with crossover

It looks and sound just like 911TUNING custom exhaust with crossover as found on the internet at there site and is very similar to the GT3 sound !

David

Old 01-04-2011, 11:15 AM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future

If you are only mashing the pedal and going straight, then yes. As stated by F1CD above, add turns and all that HP will hinder the inexperienced driver. HP for show, driving skill for go!

Setting the DE aside - I would:

1. flash
2. sway bars
3. exhaust

Last edited by Nikolas; 01-04-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:17 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Many opinions and helpful members....Confused yet??If you are not a track road racer then ,as I said before........Flash,you will feel it and that will give you more pedal pleasure, always......Exhaust,You will hear it and it will be music to your ears ,always........Short shifter[997],you will interact with it and it will make you feel more as one, always,,Know matter where or how you drive your car........DV's are needed but I do not think it is a main mod like the 3 above.......Hope it helped.......

Old 01-04-2011, 04:16 PM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
100 % agree with you. I was at a track day with a sharkwerks car with 750 hp plus and he couldnt keep up with my 480 hp.
Originally Posted by Nikolas
If you are only mashing the pedal and going straight, then yes. As stated by F1CD above, add turns and all that HP will hinder the inexperienced driver. HP for show, driving skill for go!

Setting the DE aside - I would:

1. flash
2. sway bars
3. exhaust
If the title of the thread was 3 BEST TRACK MODS you guys would have a chance....but im sorry my friends its not.

Even if I was the Sharkwerks car who lost around the ring, I'd follow your *** out of that place and blow your doors off !!!

Lastly, for the record, what you guys consider mindless "mashing the pedal and going straight" "HP for Show" strangly enough has a proffesional sport and multi billion dollar industry based around it ...how the hell did that happen

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best 3 performance upgrades 996tt