996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Standalone or not to standalone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 03:06 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Powell, I agree with you. The tuner is not the question rather what the members think about running a standalone. Years back it was important to me to use the factory DME. Now I could careless. I am very interested in seeing what your build does.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:47 AM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
Powell, I agree with you. The tuner is not the question rather what the members think about running a standalone. Years back it was important to me to use the factory DME. Now I could careless. I am very interested in seeing what your build does.
I always run what works best for my application.. Not that i dont care about what my customers think but its my time and wallet and whatever will yield me the best results on my setup is what i go with.. just sayin..

Mike

Old 02-08-2011, 05:16 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
If you can get around smog checking I say do it, you have so much more room to tune and failsafes and more data back. Downfall not many have gone this route it will be a bit of trial and error to get the best tune out of the car.

It's 4k to get an elaborate stock DME tune from vendors that have reliable cars. That half a motec you could adjust yourself as I know your a knowledgable car guy tim

Old 02-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
OS, Good points and as a matter of fact the MoTec cost is not the problem its the smog issue. Next problem I feel is the dashboard. Will the time date air temp A/C No CEL's that type of stuff. Or just throw the MoTec dash in? Hell no the fat kid needs A/C so that must work too. HAHA.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:15 PM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
too bad you're not in NJ, stickers just fall onto your windshield

Old 02-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
On a side note I always pondered the whole Motec idea myself.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:23 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
[quote=Tim941NYC;3118891]OS, Good points and as a matter of fact the MoTec cost is not the problem its the smog issue.quote]

Tim,this was my point earlier and one of the reasons i am worried about TT a Lambo.They use a Motec on the big builds and until i see one pass through the computer i am worried about having to jump through hoops to get one to pass in NY.In other states that don't emissions test the way they do here and this is a no brainer and i would have already had a motec in my car.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:09 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
OS, Good points and as a matter of fact the MoTec cost is not the problem its the smog issue. Next problem I feel is the dashboard. Will the time date air temp A/C No CEL's that type of stuff. Or just throw the MoTec dash in? Hell no the fat kid needs A/C so that must work too. HAHA.
The air temp / AC controls are all a seperate system if memory serves me correctly. I know in our car we recently ditched the factory dash in favor or an AIM unit and still have control over the AC and other vehicle comfort features. When we first installed it we did have a circus of lights on the dash from taking over the DBW, PSM, etc.

I'm not quite familiar with emissions testing because Florida is quite lax in that department, but from what I've been told when integrating a Motec with factory ECU, the vast majority of emission controls can be made "functional" or appear as so, it's just a matter of knowing what they'll be looking for, and having the appropriate number of outputs to address or fake out those systems.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:56 AM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
In NY only one OBD2 fuctiion of the test can be in the "not ready state.None can fail and turning them off through the stock ecu does not work because they show up as not ready.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:56 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Why don't you just set the codes to ready in the DME? It is possible in the ME7.8, it is not like the old LS1Edit days where you have to turn off. I think even HP Tuners now has the option to set the codes to ready with the LS1s. Our emissions are the same in Houston. It can't be turned off, it has to be set to Ready.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by Cpais
I find it hard to believe that you are worried about getting an inspection. Is it really that hard for you? You actually go through the process of putting your Porsche back together with cat's and then you turn on all your sensors and drive your car till they are listed as ready and then, during that 50 or so miles of driving you don't have any check engine lights come on that cause you to fail?

That's a lot of work every year to get your car through inspection and I would think it's a big waste of time.
Yup,they will not renew your registration here if it doesnt pass .

I put the straight cats on and put pump gas in and go for a drive and it passes.done! The only codes my car will throw is a occasional misfire on cold start which is mostly due to the VP120 and the cold and the secondary o2.I have been putting cats on it up till now because I have been to lazy to take the ecu out and send it out while I was driving it.Since its winter I am going to send it out.(Remember you can only jave one not ready.)Is this a god enough explanation ?

Old 02-10-2011, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by Powell
Why don't you just set the codes to ready in the DME? It is possible in the ME7.8, it is not like the old LS1Edit days where you have to turn off. I think even HP Tuners now has the option to set the codes to ready with the LS1s. Our emissions are the same in Houston. It can't be turned off, it has to be set to Ready.
Yes Chris,that works but you can only have one set to ready but not go through the test cycle(on my car I will use this for the secondary o2's) which works for a stock ecu and a piggy setup but as far as o know not a full motec.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:40 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
I still don't see the advantage of a using standalone over Bosch 7.8DME, except if you want to tune it yourself. Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that most people, including race teams, can't crack the 7.8 DME code so they use something they can tune like a Motec. Proto and others have built high HP cars on E85 where much greater fuel delivery is needed using 160 lb injectors, extra pump, etc.. The 7.8 DME does an excellent job on big HP cars and you don't have to worry about smog. Heck you can pass emissions with a catless system, if you have the right tune.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:54 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
I'm not a smog expert but in CA they plug into your OBDII and do a sniffer test. I don't think having very similar O2 sensor readings would be problematic. If you have a very clean burning tune, the values would not differ much whether you have a cat or not.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by Cpais
With cat's the secondary o2's see a much different value than the primary o2's. Without cats the rear o2's see the exact same value as the front o2's and that is where the problem lies. The computer expects a certain change between the two and it does not see that.
Again, if you have a clean burning tune, 1:1 stoich, your primary and secondary O2 values will not differ (in theory) regardless of whether you have a cat in place or not. They are not going to fail you just because your O2 values don't differ, at least not in CA.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Standalone or not to standalone