996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Standalone or not to standalone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 10:22 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTdude
Again, if you have a clean burning tune, 1:1 stoich, your primary and secondary O2 values will not differ (in theory) regardless of whether you have a cat in place or not. They are not going to fail you just because your O2 values don't differ, at least not in CA.
Not true. At least at WOT on all of the LS1 cars I've seen and helped tune over the years if you put a O2 on a sniffer with a car that has cats, and then put an O2 after the Merge collector (pre-cats) the a/fs have been close to a point different.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:24 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by joetwint
Yes Chris,that works but you can only have one set to ready but not go through the test cycle(on my car I will use this for the secondary o2's) which works for a stock ecu and a piggy setup but as far as o know not a full motec.
Ahh I see what you mean. Yeah if someone dropped their stock DME completely and ran a standalone you couldn't do anything because there is no codes to read at that point.

Our emissions are pretty brutal here in Texas as well. I miss 10 years ago almost when I had my supercharged 98 Cobra and my emissions testing was going to Jiffy Lube and taking my buddy for a spin in the car and getting my sticker for $15 LOL!

Old 02-10-2011, 10:28 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Powell
Not true. At least at WOT on all of the LS1 cars I've seen and helped tune over the years if you put a O2 on a sniffer with a car that has cats, and then put an O2 after the Merge collector (pre-cats) the a/fs have been close to a point different.
I agree but I'm not talking about wot. Of course you're not going to run 1:1 at wot. I'm talking about an emission test, that's 2500 rpm with ZERO load in CA. If you're car is in tip-top shape with a clean burning tune, you can pass emissions without a cat. That's all I'm saying here. People can believe me or not.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:31 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
I still don't see the advantage of a using standalone over Bosch 7.8DME, except if you want to tune it yourself. Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that most people, including race teams, can't crack the 7.8 DME code so they use something they can tune like a Motec. Proto and others have built high HP cars on E85 where much greater fuel delivery is needed using 160 lb injectors, extra pump, etc.. The 7.8 DME does an excellent job on big HP cars and you don't have to worry about smog. Heck you can pass emissions with a catless system, if you have the right tune.
A 160lb E85 injector is the same as a 80lbs gas injector as far how the DME sees them and tune with them.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:35 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
A 160lb E85 injector is the same as a 80lbs gas injector as far how the DME sees them and tune with them.
How is that? A 160 lb injector is a 160 lb injector regardless of whether you inject E85, gas, or whatever else.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:56 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
How is that? A 160 lb injector is a 160 lb injector regardless of whether you inject E85, gas, or whatever else.

Look at the specific gravity of the two fuels. You need roughly twice the injector to run E85 to make the same power. so the trims are very close for a 80 lbs gas motor making 800 hp and a 160 lbs E85 motor making 800hp.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:01 AM
It's not the specific gravity that matters here. It's the BTU difference between the two different fuels but that's not really the issue. It's the duty cycle that matters. Don't get me wrong but I think your project will be loads of fun. That alone is reason enough to mess around with a standalone. Since you were asking for opinions, I just thought I'd chime in and mix it up a bit.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:15 PM
It's not the specific gravity that matters here. It's the BTU difference between the two different fuels but that's not really the issue. It's the duty cycle that matters. Don't get me wrong but I think your project will be loads of fun. That alone is reason enough to mess around with a standalone. Since you were asking for opinions, I just thought I'd chime in and mix it up a bit.
For sure and welcomed.. but after years of on and off playing with the stock 996 DME and it doing as it likes sometimes or wait for it to adapt I really feel like tossing it in the back of my toolbox. I was runnig 1000cc LOW impedence injectors 2 1/2 years ago on my stock DME. anything over and idle was a dream..

Old 02-10-2011, 06:36 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Cpais
So when you are driving around without the cats the rest of the time you have a check engine light on for O2 sensors? I figured you would have had those turned off so you didn't have to deal with a constant check engine light.
not for the 02's but i do get an occasional check engine light for misfires on cold start with the VP120...
I'm not trying to be a ball buster
Yes you are but that's ok.....
but I just can't believe you go through all that work to get an inspection sticker. I have an off road set up as well but I don't go through all that trouble when it comes time for inspection.
all what work?It almost takes me longer to get the car on the lift then it does to remove the eight bolts to swap out straight pipes.....
If I wanted to really get a Motec I would definitely not let that be the decision that stopped me from getting one, or a TT Gallardo. My decision that stops me from getting toys like that is more of a monetary choice as I cannot afford that, not a state inspection.
I would .......especially if there is no chance (nevermind a little or a lot of work) of getting a full Motec setup to pass emissions.
I could just imagine telling my friends that I want to get a TT Gallardo but I won't be able to get an inspection so I decided against it. I would never hear the end of it.
Your right I'm a poser
You can PM me when you need to get the car inspected, maybe I can steer you in the right direction.
No thanks.....

Old 02-10-2011, 06:47 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by joetwint
not for the 02's but i do get an occasional check engine light for misfires on cold start with the VP120...

Yes you are but that's ok.....

all what work?It almost takes me longer to get the car on the lift then it does to remove the eight bolts to swap out straight pipes.....

I would .......especially if there is no chance (nevermind a little or a lot of work) of getting a full Motec setup to pass emissions.

Your right I'm a poser

No thanks.....
joe , your SUCH a poser ... lmao.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:15 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by unvmy996
joe , your SUCH a poser ... lmao.
Thanks Nick,I know i can always count on my friends on here to tell me when i'm talkin sh*t

Old 02-10-2011, 09:38 PM
I'm not a smog expert but in CA they plug into your OBDII and do a sniffer test. I don't think having very similar O2 sensor readings would be problematic. If you have a very clean burning tune, the values would not differ much whether you have a cat or not.
The DME preforms self tests and dumps extra fuel to see the secondary O'2 response time and delay to inputs plus reading value. That is why the simulators do not work and if you pull the O'2 to far out of the exhaust stream. Your tune can be the holy grail of tunes but without cats your secondary O'2s will trigger a CEL. 997's are different DME's

Old 02-10-2011, 10:48 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
We are utilizing a Link System with a Motec Dash. The reason we went to Link was to control the dual phased injectors and dual drive by wire servo motors. The motor idle with the smaller injectors is outstanding. The larger injectors phase in on demand. The wiring harness was designed to plug into the existing wiring harness ...... no splicing.

The motor uses Speed Density, however a MAF is kept in the loop to operate (provide feedback) for certain non motor functions along with a certain other function.

Last edited by cjv; 02-10-2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
The DME preforms self tests and dumps extra fuel to see the secondary O'2 response time and delay to inputs plus reading value. That is why the simulators do not work and if you pull the O'2 to far out of the exhaust stream. Your tune can be the holy grail of tunes but without cats your secondary O'2s will trigger a CEL. 997's are different DME's
Thanks Tim. I did not know this. Your project is going to be a ton of fun!

Old 02-11-2011, 04:21 AM
LOL.. The fun left with the simple bolt ons! Its more of a exercise for my mind to give me something other then business to think about. Plus my workshop is in my warehouse so I can clear my mind at anytime..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Standalone or not to standalone