996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 TT - 0.5 BAR - Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 05:34 PM
square head is on a distinguished road
996 TT - 0.5 BAR - Suggestions?

Hey All,

I'm a new used 996 Turbo owner. '02 model blue on blue. Fantastic valued automobile. I've waiting along time to be able to scoop such a fantastic car.

I am advised that the car was chipped by previous owner stating that boost pressure should stabilize at 1.1 BAR. Under WOT in 3rd, my example will peak at 0.5 BAR and stabilize at 0.4 BAR. I understand that 0.8 BAR is standard

My mechanic and I had it up on the lift and looked for leaks... Nothing hot side was noticeable. I fear a dreaded vacuum leak somewhere which, from my experience are tough to troubleshoot.

Any suggestions where we should start looking? I come from other forcefully induced VAG products so I assume the Bosch DV could be problematic.

More on the car - 80,000 km
Exhaust has been gutted and reassembled

Thanks gents.

Stephen

Old 06-09-2011, 05:40 PM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
Old 06-09-2011, 09:12 PM
TT996-2002 is a jewel in the roughTT996-2002 is a jewel in the roughTT996-2002 is a jewel in the roughTT996-2002 is a jewel in the rough
Same thread I started a few days ago. Pressure test. And start pulling on hoses. The leak is there.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:15 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Search is always your friend here:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...leak-test.html

Old 06-10-2011, 12:22 AM
tkuwaha is on a distinguished road
Time to look for a new mechanic. The first thing he should've done is to perform a boost leak test as other members have already mentioned.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:18 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
maybe the car is no so fantastic as you stated... now get ready to spend money because most mechanics are parts changes and not problem solvers... sorry to say... but true...
I would first disconnect the battery for an hour .... the positive terminal...
see if that clears it... did you have the issue form day one or did it happen recently...
get a durametric cable.... run it for fault codes...
and get someone that knows these cars to look for issues... boost leak is one... bad turbo? etc.... could be many things....

They

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 06-11-2011, 07:12 PM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
Agree with markski, my car was going into "limp" mode as I couldn't get the boost over .4 no codes though. Looked all over for a popped hose as it has happened before and found that everything was good. Ran my durametric and sure enough it was getting a knock sensor code. Turned out that one of the wires on the knock sensor broke causing the fault and making the car to not make full boost. Pain to fix but you don't need to drop the motor as some had stated before, just need to be creative.
Point of the story get a durametric the help it can do will save you lots of headaches.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:36 AM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
The first thing your mechanic should have done was use the Porsche system tester to get a read out of any codes your car is throwing. Get yourself a durametric cable and you can do this yourself. Sounds like your car is in limp mode right now, thus 0.5 bar boost.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:31 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
As others have said , boots leak test. But one thing I would say is 0.8 bar is not standard. 0.65 to 0.7 is standard.
If your in limp home mode you wil get a light on the dash.
AS Markski says , disconnect the battery to reset the adaptive values in the DME.
Have a look at the wastegates, check the actuator arm hasn't corroded and snapped. if this was a while ago then a wastegate could very well have seized slightly open.
Do a search on here for pressure testing the turbos and pipes. There are many many posts IIRC.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:16 PM
TT996-2002 is a jewel in the roughTT996-2002 is a jewel in the roughTT996-2002 is a jewel in the roughTT996-2002 is a jewel in the rough
Do the leakdown yet. Did u figure it out. Can't start a thread and leave us hangin.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:16 AM
TTS
TTS is a glorious beacon of lightTTS is a glorious beacon of lightTTS is a glorious beacon of lightTTS is a glorious beacon of lightTTS is a glorious beacon of lightTTS is a glorious beacon of light
Look at your f pipe first, that's where I found my leak.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:39 PM
Update: Sealant on my homemade boost leak tester is drying. It is getting dark out so I shall pressure test the system tomorrow.

I've read nearly every thread on here regarding boost leaks. I'm really hoping for F-pipe and not a bad turbine.

I tried unplugging the battery as well as runs with the MAF unplugged. Same 0.4 BAR stabilization pressure.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

Old 07-26-2011, 10:23 PM
porschetec is on a distinguished road
boost leak test.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:09 PM
Got into it this afternoon gents!

Wheels off, fender liners out, bumper off.

Turbos spin freely. Wastegates actuate well.

Noticed the car already has Evolution Motor Sport DV's. F-pipe looks healthy. I've man handled every pipe related to the intake system and nothing is visually off.

The boost leak tester that I fabbed up is acting up. Put together a better one and ran out of daylight.

Will advise tomorrow AM.

Last edited by square head; 07-29-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:56 PM
Also - no fault codes.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 TT - 0.5 BAR - Suggestions?