996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

H&R coilover question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 04:41 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
H&R coilover question

I've got them and my car sits pretty low. Does anyone know if these have a bump-stop installed to prevent the tire from being able to hit the wheel well? If I'm on it and hit some pretty rough pavement that requires a bit of wheel travel at a high rate of speed, there is a loud thump that I hear at the moment the car becomes light and then settles back down. There has never been any rubbing in my wells, which would seem impossible without a stop and considering the height I'm at. TIA

Here's a side shot for height:

Attached Images  
Old 10-14-2003, 04:15 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
Just had to re-post this b/c I can't imagine no one knows this. Maybe posting on the weekend is a bad idea. I know that sometimes I never look at topics past page one. Sorry for the re-post if you've already seen it.

Old 10-14-2003, 07:45 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
The original H&Rs do have bump stop in them. Unless someone removed them you should have them in place. The bump stop was move of a measurement to prevent the shock from bottoming out rather than stopping the wheel from hitting the fender.

Old 10-14-2003, 09:30 AM
Jack(LA) is on a distinguished road
The only thing I can add to Stephen's post is that there was an issue with the early H&R coil overs, especially the first ones which were marketed under the Gemballa name. The entire suspension/springs would begin sagging and causing the car to get lower and lower over time, ultimately riding on the bump stops. Eventually, even after readjustment to the highest height setting available, the car was still so low that it could not be aligned to anything close to factory specs -- too much negative camber front and rear and other alignment issues. There is a new H&R coil over setup which solves this problem -- I believe Mike at AWE posted info on this back when he was having trouble doing the "set up" on some Turbos with the old H&R coil over suspensions.

Old 10-15-2003, 05:58 AM
Is there any way to tell from looking at them if mine are the old ones? They were installed about March 2002. TIA

Old 10-15-2003, 07:50 AM
Jack(LA) is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by Red Devil
Is there any way to tell from looking at them if mine are the old ones? They were installed about March 2002. TIA
Sorry, but I don't have that info. I'd suggest calling Mike at AWE -- I believe he's a Board sponsor.

Old 10-15-2003, 07:55 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
There is a large billet spacer on the the top this time. It should be pretty obvious if it has it or not.

Old 10-15-2003, 08:39 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Jack(LA)

Here is the original thread regarding the H&R redesigned coilovers.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...=&threadid=840