996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Those without the double din NAV unit, What do you guys use for aftermarket units?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 12:18 PM
awdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant future
Those without the double din NAV unit, What do you guys use for aftermarket units?

What unit looks the most fitting in the interior, I know sometimes when fitting aftermarket mods and especially electronics to a car it is key to make sure they do not look out of place. I am curious to see what you guys have installed for head units and how well they blend into the cars interior styling. Thanks in advanced --Rob

Last edited by awdbiturbo1; 07-21-2011 at 12:21 PM. Reason: i
Old 07-21-2011, 12:58 PM
ukgatecrasher is infamous around these parts
I had a Pioneer unit fitted. My car is a MY03 so has the MOST system fitted. Because of this I had a new bigger AMP and wiring fitted to all speakers. The install cost was nearly as much as the head unit.

I love it though as it has USB / Ipod connecion, reads SDHC cards and has bluetooth for my phone. Its also ear bleeding loud!! It also plays dvd's and pretty much any format ie divx xvid etc from the sd card or dvdr.

I believe the gap is slightly bigger than a standard double din unit so you need an appropriate trim.

Heres some pics of mine.

Last edited by ukgatecrasher; 07-21-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:14 PM
thebananaman is infamous around these parts
I have a Clarion unit in my DD F150 but have not put anything in the 996TT yet. The Clarion has amazing sound (as you would expect) but the interface and GPS are not the greatest. For this reason I am going to put a Kenwood in the Porsche.
IMHO the Kenwood has an nice interface and Garmin GPS which is my preference, having used Garmin and others. And many models to choose from, the higher end units (DNX7xxx or 9xxx series) having no ***** making it a better match for any interior. If you are looking to save a few bucks there is always a new something coming out, just pick up the "not-quite-the-latest-and-greatest".
Personally, if I was going to spend a couple of grand on electronics I would put a built in detector / laser jammer in first. But again that is just my opinion.....

Old 07-21-2011, 01:35 PM
roseylv is a name known to allroseylv is a name known to allroseylv is a name known to allroseylv is a name known to allroseylv is a name known to allroseylv is a name known to all
I'm going to be doing a double din along w/ a A/C relocation as well. I would like to know where everyone purchased there adapters for their double din?

Old 07-21-2011, 01:51 PM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
they sell a kit on ebay, the people selling the kit will also break up the kit if for instance you only need the surround trim piece (i bought this on its own as thats all i thought i needed)

my stereo guy didnt need any of the parts, he had everything on the shelf and made a trim piece to cover the gap arround the perimiter

Old 07-21-2011, 01:59 PM
roseylv is a name known to allroseylv is a name known to allroseylv is a name known to allroseylv is a name known to allroseylv is a name known to allroseylv is a name known to all
Originally Posted by buzzm
they sell a kit on ebay, the people selling the kit will also break up the kit if for instance you only need the surround trim piece (i bought this on its own as thats all i thought i needed)

my stereo guy didnt need any of the parts, he had everything on the shelf and made a trim piece to cover the gap arround the perimiter

Thanks buzz,
I'm assuming this is the harness everyone is buying based on a few searches.
http://cgi.ebay.com/2002-PORSCHE-996...#ht_2232wt_842

Are there any other options that anyone knows of? TIA

Old 07-21-2011, 02:05 PM
awdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ukgatecrasher
I had a Pioneer unit fitted. My car is a MY03 so has the MOST system fitted. Because of this I had a new bigger AMP and wiring fitted to all speakers. The install cost was nearly as much as the head unit.

I love it though as it has USB / Ipod connecion, reads SDHC cards and has bluetooth for my phone. Its also ear bleeding loud!! It also plays dvd's and pretty much any format ie divx xvid etc from the sd card or dvdr.

I believe the gap is slightly bigger than a standard double din unit so you need an appropriate trim.

Heres some pics of mine.

That Looks great? Thanks for the pics too. Question, Did you have to use an aftermarket amp? I don't want all "that" just looking for a modern double din with a large nav screen and a ipod hook up.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:20 PM
porscheforfun is infamous around these parts
You can add rear view camera real.easy

Old 07-21-2011, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by awdbiturbo1
That Looks great? Thanks for the pics too. Question, Did you have to use an aftermarket amp? I don't want all "that" just looking for a modern double din with a large nav screen and a ipod hook up.
At first my car audio shop didnt think it was required as they had a cable harness / adapter in their catalogue which gave the impression that it worked ok with the original optical cable system (MOST) and original amp.

However when it came to fitting it did not work so they re-wired the whole lot and put in an amp. I didnt particularly want the extra power from the aftermarket amp either but had no choice. If your car is pre MOST (MY03) i dont believe you will have these issues.

There may well be another product that allows the optical system to be adapted to an aftermarket stereo but I'm not aware of it.

I also got them to add a reversing camera to the system. In the catalogue its a Cayenne item which replaces one of the rear number plate lights. It is really good but needs cleaning regularly.

One other point, because the original fit stereo has been removed you will always get a fault code come up when its is plugged into a diagnostic such as durametric or at your OPC. It doesnt really affect anything and you wouldnt notice it if it was not put on a diagnostic.
My OPC technician tells me this is because even though it is just a stereo it is integrated and communicates with the car. He didnt say what the communications were, but he did say that it would invalidate a Porsche warranty.

Forgot to mention you will also need to relocate you air con unit to the lower section which also needs another piece of trim, but these are very cheap.

Hope this of some help. Shaun.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:07 PM
z06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond repute
Car Concepts in SLC UT did mine, have been very happy with it.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:30 PM
cactus57 has a spectacular aura aboutcactus57 has a spectacular aura about
Here is mine. It's an older model Pioneer AVIC with custom bezel. Had the ipod link routed to the tray.

Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2011, 08:30 PM
beckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the rough
This is what I did to my 03, you might find it useful...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...st-system.html

Old 07-21-2011, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by ukgatecrasher
At first my car audio shop didnt think it was required as they had a cable harness / adapter in their catalogue which gave the impression that it worked ok with the original optical cable system (MOST) and original amp.

However when it came to fitting it did not work so they re-wired the whole lot and put in an amp. I didnt particularly want the extra power from the aftermarket amp either but had no choice. If your car is pre MOST (MY03) i dont believe you will have these issues.

There may well be another product that allows the optical system to be adapted to an aftermarket stereo but I'm not aware of it.

I also got them to add a reversing camera to the system. In the catalogue its a Cayenne item which replaces one of the rear number plate lights. It is really good but needs cleaning regularly.

One other point, because the original fit stereo has been removed you will always get a fault code come up when its is plugged into a diagnostic such as durametric or at your OPC. It doesnt really affect anything and you wouldnt notice it if it was not put on a diagnostic.
My OPC technician tells me this is because even though it is just a stereo it is integrated and communicates with the car. He didnt say what the communications were, but he did say that it would invalidate a Porsche warranty.

Forgot to mention you will also need to relocate you air con unit to the lower section which also needs another piece of trim, but these are very cheap.

Hope this of some help. Shaun.
Thanks for all the info, Sorry about the question mark after my comment "that looks great?" i meant to add a ! oops

Old 07-22-2011, 03:51 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by awdbiturbo1
Thanks for all the info, Sorry about the question mark after my comment "that looks great?" i meant to add a ! oops

Lol, no worries :-) I use iPad and am forever having to edit posts to correct mis types or correct the predictive text.