996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

To Tune or not to Tune?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 03:40 PM
Mattyrae will become famous soon enough
To Tune or not to Tune?

Looking at buying a 996 X-50 equipped car in the next week. Thinking about shipping it up to Sharkwerks and doing a tune, possibly the evo 600 hp package. Any thoughts and experiences with this tuner and package?

Would do exhaust - Can't decide on which one yet, want a sound as close to the 997.2 GT3, but I understand 7k rpm vs 8.5krpm is a big difference, plus the silencing effect of the turbo's
Intake
Hitachi Maf
Upgraded Diverter Valves and Boost hoses
Evomsit tune

Car would not ever be "tracked", would just use the hp to mess around my the guy down the streets Audi 5.2 Spider on long straight roads.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:51 PM
bng4god has a spectacular aura aboutbng4god has a spectacular aura about
Have you considered Kevin at UMW which is somewhat local to you if you are in the state of Washington?

Old 08-24-2011, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by bng4god
Have you considered Kevin at UMW which is somewhat local to you if you are in the state of Washington?
I have not heard of them. Do you have a link to their website? I am about 4 hours away from Seattle.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:00 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
http://www.ultimatemotorwerks.com/

Kevin is top notch, had a nice long conversation with him today over the phone.

Also, EvoMS is local to me in AZ. I've seen some of the insanely powered cars they built. Just saw some 950+ whp and 1000+ whp 996's they we working on with E85, crazy stuff.

Either way, you'll be in good hands with any of the above choices, whether it be UMW, Sharkwerks, or EvoMS.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:14 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Definitely do it.

Don't forget upgraded wastegate springs... You're on the right track

Old 08-24-2011, 04:21 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Kevin at UMW will sort you out. You will not be dissapointed with him. Well worth it and you are local.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by dhahlen
http://www.ultimatemotorwerks.com/

Kevin is top notch, had a nice long conversation with him today over the phone.

Also, EvoMS is local to me in AZ. I've seen some of the insanely powered cars they built. Just saw some 950+ whp and 1000+ whp 996's they we working on with E85, crazy stuff.

Either way, you'll be in good hands with any of the above choices, whether it be UMW, Sharkwerks, or EvoMS.
He needs to update his website, doesn't even list his location.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:27 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mattyrae
He needs to update his website, doesn't even list his location.
Kevin probably gets more business from 6so and rennlist than his website could ever bring... I've heard nothing but good stuff from every single one of your choices.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:57 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
The guys at SharkWerks are great; you cannot find a better tuner that stands behind their products like them; they use the EVOMsit tune.

However, I do agree with others that you should find someone locally; especially they are reputable.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by MY996TT
The guys at SharkWerks are great; you cannot find a better tuner that stands behind their products like them; they use the EVOMsit tune.

However, I do agree with others that you should find someone locally; especially they are reputable.
Local for me would be 4 hours drive to Portland, 4 hours drive to Seattle, 2.5 hour drive to Spokane. That's why I started this thread, with my goal for a tune, how reliable is it, what problems might I experience, I understand something not related to the tune could go wrong, but what are the worst case scenerios people are experiencing. The cars are 9+ years old, so I would think if everything was done correctly, most of the bugs have been worked out so far, such as the upgrade to the Hitachi Mafs, and having more experiences with different exhaust systems.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:25 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
The question is never "to tune or not tune" it is what should I do and who should do the work. I have known sharky the owner of sharkwerks for years and he will do a great job. I also have had my car modded by Todd Z at evoms and have been extremely happy. Can't go wrong with either of these guys and they have been on this forum as long as
as I have been.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:44 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I would add a good GIAC dealer to your list. They invented the Hitachi MAF setup. The owner of GIAC owns a blue 996T and has more dyno time than he wants to admit on this chassis.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:27 AM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
I only had experience with the EVOMsit tune so I cannot speak for others. From what I learned from 6so, most tunes are quite solid. I have had my car tuned for almost 4 years and without a single problem.

There are side effects due to the increased power... like clutch, DVs, MAF...

Originally Posted by Mattyrae
Local for me would be 4 hours drive to Portland, 4 hours drive to Seattle, 2.5 hour drive to Spokane. That's why I started this thread, with my goal for a tune, how reliable is it, what problems might I experience, I understand something not related to the tune could go wrong, but what are the worst case scenerios people are experiencing. The cars are 9+ years old, so I would think if everything was done correctly, most of the bugs have been worked out so far, such as the upgrade to the Hitachi Mafs, and having more experiences with different exhaust systems.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:12 AM
bng4god has a spectacular aura aboutbng4god has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by MY996TT
I only had experience with the EVOMsit tune so I cannot speak for others. From what I learned from 6so, most tunes are quite solid. I have had my car tuned for almost 4 years and without a single problem.

There are side effects due to the increased power... like clutch, DVs, MAF...
Not if you have a tune from Speed Innovation - that's what I inherited from the car I purchased. Luckily, it was installed at the local Porsche dealer under warranty so I guess it's OK, but I am willing to bet it does jack squat. The dealer might have reflashed it back to stock for all I know.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:37 AM
Sorry to hear that! But most is not all and I did mention "reputable"...

"From what I learned from 6so, most tunes are quite solid."

Originally Posted by bng4god
Not if you have a tune from Speed Innovation - that's what I inherited from the car I purchased. Luckily, it was installed at the local Porsche dealer under warranty so I guess it's OK, but I am willing to bet it does jack squat. The dealer might have reflashed it back to stock for all I know.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: To Tune or not to Tune?