996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Anyone have P-tool #9661

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 07:44 PM
RennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of light
Anyone have P-tool #9661

If you have or know of someone who owns the above tool, would you please contact me via PM here on the site. Big thanks

Old 09-11-2011, 02:06 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RennFab
If you have or know of someone who owns the above tool, would you please contact me via PM here on the site. Big thanks
Whats it used for.
I'm always for ideas on how to duplicate a tool in my workshop. If its form Porsche , it wont be cheep.
Any pictures of the tool ??

Old 09-11-2011, 08:33 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sunnyside
Whats it used for.
I'm always for ideas on how to duplicate a tool in my workshop. If its form Porsche , it wont be cheep.
Any pictures of the tool ??
Frank you don't have Porsche tool list? This tool is used in conjunction with 9661/1 to do the cam timing adjustment....Used also with 9401 to put tension on the chain while adjusting the cams....

Attached Images      

Last edited by jpflip; 09-11-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:35 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
I have it.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:04 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jpflip
Frank you don't have Porsche tool list? This tool is used in conjunction with 9661/1 to do the cam timing adjustment....Used also with 9401 to put tension on the chain while adjusting the cams....

Hi JP,
No I don't have a tool list unless its some where on the IPAS system which I do have.
If not it would be nice to get a Tool list. Where else could I obtain a copy.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:57 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Hi JP,
No I don't have a tool list unless its some where on the IPAS system which I do have.
If not it would be nice to get a Tool list. Where else could I obtain a copy.
It is in the repair manual in the section that shows how to install and time the cams. Check page 3 of the link:

http://www.baumtools.com/pdf/porsche_timing_tools.pdf

Old 09-11-2011, 10:13 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VAGscum
It is in the repair manual in the section that shows how to install and time the cams. Check page 3 of the link:

http://www.baumtools.com/pdf/porsche_timing_tools.pdf
I wonder how much the tool set would cost, 9661 9661/1 (probably not required on ebaum tool because it seems to be included in the design) and 9401 (tensioner) and the cam wrench...I did not have any success with Ebaum, never got a replied from them after numerous "E" mail for a price list.....

Old 09-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
I do not like the way the baum tool looks. I feel the way they pass a blade though the plate is just not that precise. It was very expensive and hard to get I have it. The real one from Porsche. You can always time the cams the old way with a dial indicator...

Old 09-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
I do not like the way the baum tool looks. I feel the way they pass a blade though the plate is just not that precise. It was very expensive and hard to get I have it. The real one from Porsche. You can always time the cams the old way with a dial indicator...
Thats a good point, I wonder how much of the Porsche special tools are not actually required and can be got round using standard practises.

Rep point to JP for all his help and advice on this topic.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Thats a good point, I wonder how much of the Porsche special tools are not actually required and can be got round using standard practises.

A lot

Old 09-11-2011, 11:43 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
I haven't used this tool so I cannot speak for it's quality or how precise it is. How would this design induce anymore slop than the factory one. If the blade fits in the slot without slop it would work fine. Their just isn't that much to the tool. But the other thing is Baum tool can order the factory unit as well.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:53 PM
RennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of light
This is so true. The Baum tool is a flimsy piece of steel, and the inserts they use have play to them. For the money you spend on the kit from them(~$1500) you'd expect more than what you get.

I had the OEM headplate and cam locking blocks, however my shop was broken into some time back and the thieves made off with one of my locked tool chests which had a multitude of my factory tooling and my Bosch hammer. Was a huge loss and at the time I didn't have it covered under insurance Local dealers, whom I'm friends with, do not have the tool either.. I still have the rest of the required tooling but this set was in a plastic case at the bottom of the chest when it grew legs and walked off.

Tim, do you happen to know the timing specs to set with dial indicators for the stock camshafts? This is common practice with the aircooled motors here, but I cannot find the factory settings for doing this(setting crank to "X" angle then setting cams for "Y" amount of lift) on the M96.70

I was hoping to be able to find a kind person that owned the tool, and was willing and able to get me some specific angles off the cam block inserts for the tool as-installed in the headplate so that I may be able to recreate a temp tool here at the machine shop. You would know as much as any why that task is so difficult. If dial indicating specifications exist for the stock cams though I have no issues about doing it that way so long as I can get accurate stock cam info. I did gt some information from a guy on another site awhile back but I cannot confirm the accuracy of this info anywhere, which makes me wonder where he received it himself.

Any help you're willing to lend is priceless on this end for me.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:56 PM

Thanks Frank! I hope one of these days I will be able to see or assist someone doing the cam timing of better , an engine overhaul. I have visited many shops here in Montreal and nobody seems to be able to overhaul one of our engines. Except of course the Porsche dealer but people like me are not welcome in the garage area

Old 09-11-2011, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by jpflip
Thanks Frank! I hope one of these days I will be able to see or assist someone doing the cam timing of better , an engine overhaul. I have visited many shops here in Montreal and nobody seems to be able to overhaul one of our engines. Except of course the Porsche dealer but people like me are not welcome in the garage area
Your welcome.
I also find it a bit worrying when I think of the possibility of having to work on one of these engines my self. There a long long way off working on Cosworths, where a DTI and angle gauge would do just about everything to do with cam timing.

I wonder, cant you just Pock mark all the components such as pulleys and flanges before dismantling. Then you can line up the marks on rebuild.
TBH that's an open question , as I have very very little experience of these engines.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Your welcome.
I also find it a bit worrying when I think of the possibility of having to work on one of these engines my self. There a long long way off working on Cosworths, where a DTI and angle gauge would do just about everything to do with cam timing.

I wonder, cant you just Pock mark all the components such as pulleys and flanges before dismantling. Then you can line up the marks on rebuild.
TBH that's an open question , as I have very very little experience of these engines.

I imagine one could do this, but the if anything is off then it's going to be off apon assembly, and with the keyless and infinitely adjustable cam gears there's quite a bit of room for error.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.