996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Failure Indicator - Both Oil Press & Water Temp -

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 10:34 PM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
Failure Indicator - Both Oil Press & Water Temp -

Wondering whether this is a random coincidence or perhaps the 2 -3 issues coinciding points to a different diagnosis.

Start with below links as they're helpful and include part numbers.

Indicator Failure Engine Temp
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...lant-temp.html

Indicator Failure Oil pressure
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ure-gauge.html

Thanks to above posts, I know which parts to replace. The car's running fine, have a obd2 reader and operating parameters are with in spec. no leaks, fluid levels normal. just the oil pressure and water temp meters go berserk and back to normal intermittently. No DTC's. I got the oil pressure indicator failure first, then the water one 2 days later.

Oil sender requires dropping the engine, and looks like the alternator needs to come out to replace the water sensor. Want to make sure this really needs to be done before starting.

Don't think this is related but will mention just in case: got the brake oil level warning light just a week before during spirited mountain twist run. Understand this is a common bug for this car. It's the first time for this particular warning but the car's been driven hard on countless previous occassions. Brake oil level was fine, no leaks. May be it was the cold weather... Here's a link to helpful post on this issue: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...goes-away.html

Thanks!

Old 12-22-2011, 11:06 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
You do NOT need to drop the engine for the oil sender, certainly not a step in the shop mannual. I did mine, it's a bit tough to get to.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:22 AM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Any critters been chewing on wires? Seems odd both start at the same time.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:29 AM
S4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really nice
Subscribed! Tks for great info!

Old 12-23-2011, 10:43 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Just for interest, has your gauge panel been removed - ever? It sounds like it could just be a loose connector on your display. That would certainly explain totally unrelated systems reporting a failure at the same time...

Old 12-24-2011, 07:54 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
thanks for the replies.

no have never removed the cluster. The car sits for a couple months at a time and yes rodents are an issue but from what I could see, no wire nibble damage or signs of new visitors.

would hate to go through the trouble of changing the sensors (especially the water one) to find sensors themselves wasn't the problem.

Found a post on rennlist reporting stalling the engine just preceding the water temp indicator failure. Exact same thing happened to me. No solution was found, some replies cite it as a glitch- something to ignore. I'll probably go ahead and fix the oil pressure sensor first.

This post has pages from the workshop manual on changing oil pressure sensor. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...sor-cable.html

Old 12-24-2011, 05:24 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I just removed and reinstalled my instrument panel so I could replace the needle to adjust the time. When I turned the key the first time, the only two lights that came on were the Oil Pressure and Water Temp warning lights. After I bolted everything back up and started the car, the lights went out. I'm pretty sure your initial problem is related to the instrument panel and not any actual sensor failure.