996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Big HP League Runs IPD+TB

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 04:42 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Big HP League Runs IPD+TB

Hey Guys,It looks like all the high HP ,big league,members do run this IPD and Bigger throttle body...After all my searchs and reads on this forum,it looks like eventually most of them put that set-up on....Yet some still believe it is snake oil??.....I have spoken to Turbo Mike and he is a great guy....So,it looks like I might have to give this a try with my current set-up .I hope I should be able to get an increase from it...I will try to do it on a Dyno,back to back....I have called and left a message at Kelly Moss to see if they can fit me in for this test...

Old 01-01-2012, 04:53 PM
pumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond repute
Well at some point you just run out of stuff to do too. Guys just puttin that stuff on to say they did it or just in case you do get a few HP out of it.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:56 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pumptech
Well at some point you just run out of stuff to do too. Guys just puttin that stuff on to say they did it or just in case you do get a few HP out of it.
YEP,,,,You might have a point there.....lol...

Old 01-01-2012, 05:47 PM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
can't wait to see the results, very interested to know.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:54 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
fuel and enough air to burn it is what makes power. 75mm TB flows more the 60 at the same vac/boost levels. Also you can use the plenum to tune your power band. John PM me your shipping address and I will ship you what I ended up with, It uses a 75mm TB. It worked for me when I was using the stock intake runners. I know it would mean one more dyno pull but I wouldn't mind helping out to put this to bed.

Tim

Old 01-01-2012, 06:37 PM
From: johnspeed911@comcast.net [mailto:johnspeed911@comcast.net]
Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 2:20 PM
To: 'ContactUs@KellyMoss.com'
Subject: Parts comparision on dyno

HI Price,,Hope you had a great x-mas…Hope all is well…….I will pay for your time/work if you would be interested in doing on the dyno a back to back swap of my stock intake plenum verses a IPD plenum with the larger throttle body back to back??I takes about 2 to 3 hrs to do the swap.I have done it in the past ..It makes it a lot easier/faster to lower the motor a few inches to get at things over busting knuckles….Please let me know…Thanks,John

....That is what I sent dyno shop...I am going to wait for there reply before I buy.....

Old 01-01-2012, 06:46 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnspeed
Hey Guys,It looks like all the high HP ,big league,members do run this IPD and Bigger throttle body...After all my searchs and reads on this forum,it looks like eventually most of them put that set-up on....Yet some still believe it is snake oil??.....I have spoken to Turbo Mike and he is a great guy....So,it looks like I might have to give this a try with my current set-up .I hope I should be able to get an increase from it...I will try to do it on a Dyno,back to back....I have called and left a message at Kelly Moss to see if they can fit me in for this test...
John,
You might know this thread but I think it's helpful:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...num-996tt.html

I contributed after I found the IPD+75mm TB helped my spool and high rpm power. It did not do as much in the mid range according to my PBox...

Old 01-01-2012, 07:04 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
I run a stock 997TT T-Pipe and TB. I was originally going to have BL build me a custom intake manifold. At one point I talked to Neil about doing a setup like Chad (CJV) but use 1 TB instead of 6.

Eventually I will upgrade.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:09 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Has anybody calculated the volume of the inlet manifolds to determine what size TB would be optimum?

Where the hell did the number 75mm ever come from??

Old 01-01-2012, 07:16 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ant_8u
Has anybody calculated the volume of the inlet manifolds to determine what size TB would be optimum?

I ran a Cayenne TT TB and IPD Plenum on my Tiptronic. I believe it was 75mm.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ant_8u

Its 3''s and the most common size out there. it offers good driveablity and enough flow. To large and the car will buck. 3'' started back in the 86-7 in the 5.0 ford world. It does the job and fab guys will use the cheapest proven parts that are available readily.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Powell
I run a stock 997TT T-Pipe and TB. I was originally going to have BL build me a custom intake manifold. At one point I talked to Neil about doing a setup like Chad (CJV) but use 1 TB instead of 6.

Eventually I will upgrade.
I am not sure that 6 is better then on1 in a boost motor.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
I am not sure that 6 is better then on1 in a boost motor.
Agreed! If we were an NA setup where we had super long runners trying to pull every last hp we can out of the car NA then yes. I kicked around ideas for about 3 weeks using my stock 996TT intake to get ideas. I just couldn't see spending the money. Eventually I'll get something like the IPD and a bigger TB. I never did on the stock motor because we were already on the verge of blowing stuff up possibly.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:20 PM
mod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura about
john, you may need an intervention... LOL...

Old 01-01-2012, 08:24 PM
I've already got ideas for a second motor. 4.0 with turbos relocated to fit a pair of GT42's with Air/water intercoolers, etc... Just don't think spending the money would be worth it LOL!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Big HP League Runs IPD+TB