996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Any news on the BorgWarner EFR turbos?

Old 03-24-2015, 05:49 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Jig up those headers yet? I'm up for intercoolers as soon as there's a Y-pipe ready

Seriously, I really do want to see how well these turbo do on your car sir. Judging from the Subaru guys a pair of these will seriously rock on our cars!

Old 03-24-2015, 07:00 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by itguy
They will go on as soon as people stop ordering intercoolers and fuel kits

Hey I promised to hold a week!

Old 03-24-2015, 09:22 PM
Bader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud of
Hey itguy
You do have them on ? What do you think

Old 02-08-2016, 09:28 PM
awdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant future
Any update on theses turbos?

Old 02-08-2016, 09:39 PM
itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !
Old 02-08-2016, 09:50 PM
awdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by itguy
That SRM guy does big things ;-)

Thinking about doing these over his 71mm turbos, not sure yet. Not doing rods this year. Not sure which i should get...

Old 02-08-2016, 10:36 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
I like the EFR, bolts to stock manifolds, makes boost quickly, no need for expensive external gates, they move plenty of air for my purposes, and the gates are recirc'd so you don't go deaf or have to mod the exhaust. Speaking of which I believe the stock type exhaust bolts up too, what's not to like?

Old 02-09-2016, 02:04 AM
Banned
Thunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
I like the EFR, bolts to stock manifolds, makes boost quickly, no need for expensive external gates, they move plenty of air for my purposes, and the gates are recirc'd so you don't go deaf or have to mod the exhaust. Speaking of which I believe the stock type exhaust bolts up too, what's not to like?
I really wonder if those EFR really better than Alpha turbos.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:22 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Thunder915
having 2 sets of tials 3071 and 3073 and having ridden in seans car with the 7163 set at a measly 28 psi i can tell you these turbos with the proper mods are a "spooling hit you in the chest" worlds better than the tials

i sold my tials to get the 7163 setup with no regrets. dhalen's 997 turbo build has them as well.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:30 AM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
  1. Originally Posted by Thunder915
Well, the other company makes turbos as their main product, invests to RnD and publishes compressor and turbine maps. The other one is basically just a tuner...

Old 02-09-2016, 02:39 AM
itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Thunder915
http://blog.perrinperformance.com/bo...test-and-tune/

some 3rd party testing

Old 02-09-2016, 04:41 AM
zero400 is a glorious beacon of lightzero400 is a glorious beacon of lightzero400 is a glorious beacon of lightzero400 is a glorious beacon of lightzero400 is a glorious beacon of light
If you knew the background on that testing you'd know it had issues. No way this turbo spools faster than a 3071 let's be honest here and cut the crap marketing. Seeing posts like this from forum marketeers turns me off personally right away. This setup that itguy made with 7163s is nice as its bolton but it isn't the end all be all for everyone especially not for those looking for stock motor street performance and quick response that a set of 28s or 3071s can provide with plenty of power to max the stock motor setup. As for me I prefer external wastegates and no they don't make ear deafening noise at all. I take it you have never been in a 996 or 997 with dumps at all. I will also never trust an N75 valve over a Mac valve or that built in diverter over a blow off. Lessons learned from the past that I just don't need to live through again. I love this set up for its bolt on nature and price but its right in line with a set of GTX3076 turbos from every angle you look at. If a decent shop makes you headers for EWGs and adds a y-pipe with BOVs you are roughly in the same ballpark price and power wise. Anyone have any stock motor dynos to compare these with alphas or gtxs or precisions on a 3.6l or 3.8l back to back? I'd love to see it especially 3071 that someone mentioned.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:49 AM
Originally Posted by zero400
If you knew the background on that testing you'd know it had issues. No way this turbo spools faster than a 3071 let's be honest here and cut the crap marketing. Seeing posts like this from forum marketeers turns me off personally right away. This setup that itguy made with 7163s is nice as its bolton but it isn't the end all be all for everyone especially not for those looking for stock motor street performance and quick response that a set of 28s or 3071s can provide with plenty of power to max the stock motor setup. As for me I prefer external wastegates and no they don't make ear deafening noise at all. I take it you have never been in a 996 or 997 with dumps at all. I will also never trust an N75 valve over a Mac valve or that built in diverter over a blow off. Lessons learned from the past that I just don't need to live through again. I love this set up for its bolt on nature and price but its right in line with a set of GTX3076 turbos from every angle you look at. If a decent shop makes you headers for EWGs and adds a y-pipe with BOVs you are roughly in the same ballpark price and power wise. Anyone have any stock motor dynos to compare these with alphas or gtxs or precisions on a 3.6l or 3.8l back to back? I'd love to see it especially 3071 that someone mentioned.
Jan 2016 join date, maybe you could discuss your background/knowledge/experience before going on a soapbox rant...

The gt30 turbine is 20 year old aero that has been long overdue for an update. The EFR7163 was developed for indycar in 2014, and had huge $$ backing the development. There are quite a few sets of these out there and independent data will emerge very soon. In the meantime, why don't you just grab some popcorn and enjoy the show

I'm sorry your past experience with internal gates turned you into a bigot, hopefully it wont permeate other forum members' opinions.

Please share with everyone the shop that can provide you with headers, catback, y pipes, BOV's, wastegates, turbos for less than 5k, everyone will be going there!

Last edited by itguy; 02-09-2016 at 04:59 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:47 AM
flewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond repute
im a big efr fan and actually had production number 8 of the 7670 for another car. the quality of the efr turbos very a garrett are almost funny seeing how much nicer the castings, the machining, and the overall material quality of the efr is far superior.
The cost of the efr is negated when looking at the big picture that it has a huge internal wastegate (44mm on the smaller turbos), internal BOV, and also a boost solenoid built in. that is a huge savings in the long run. also the bearings and seals used in the efr are much stronger and have less rolling resistance compared to a garrett.
the ti turbines wheels allow for much more turbine flow without spool sacrifice as well and the compressor designs flow a ton for the sizes. id highly recommend trying one. when i build my motor hopefully next winter, efr7163 is what will be going on.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:09 AM
I've had external W/G with dumps in three cars to include one in my driveway now, sorry but I prefer to recirc, my car is loud enough at WOT it can be heard about a mile away as it is and I see zero need to be louder. N75 valve? The plastic one that gets replaced fairly often? I see no reason to swap it running the EFR turbo but I'm certainly not singing its praises and won't be running one on my car and don't now actually. I'd prefer to use their solenoid but I'm betting you could keep your N75 if you wanted. Bypass on the turbo cover? Designed by the company that builds these turbos? Yes please! Recirc that right at the turbo, no muss no fuss! If you must have big chunks of whistling anodized metal mounted somewhere I don't think anyone will tell you it can't be done but I wouldn't expect them to move much air if you use them parallel to the built in units.

You can argue airflow and response, some of that comes to preference. I'll get the power I want from these if I switch to them I'm sure so I'm not concerned. I've ridden in a car with them already, no issues with spool but next time I want to drive it lol. I've seen the dyno sheets too and would expect better spool than my current k24 hybrid, fine by me.

I note that you claim issues with that test but don't mention what they were or provide details. I'm betting W/G control issues as I've heard the cans on the W/G out of the box weren't great. There's aftermarket gates for these that bolt on and I think Sean had something for them too? Buy what you want, pretty sure these aren't being shoved down your throat and I'm happy for the option that checks so many boxes.

P.S. I do find it this guy *****es like he's getting the hard sell on these, because a link was posted to them being sold? Really? This thread was started by folks wanting info on these turbo and in the beginning it looked like Full Race was going to produce headers for them. SRM builds a bolt-on setup and posts while running these himself and that's being a marketeer? demands back to back testing? Wow...

Last edited by BLKMGK; 02-09-2016 at 06:24 AM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any news on the BorgWarner EFR turbos?