996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Any news on the BorgWarner EFR turbos?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 06:34 PM
somefoo1 is a glorious beacon of lightsomefoo1 is a glorious beacon of lightsomefoo1 is a glorious beacon of lightsomefoo1 is a glorious beacon of lightsomefoo1 is a glorious beacon of lightsomefoo1 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Sonny
Guys, stick with the proven stuff, that is Garrett.
ok so i know i'm new to the 911 team but in the whole scheme of turbos that will survive lots of miles.... imho garret is pretty low on the list.

the non fancy borgs last FOREVER my tdo6 20g... the same... then i thought... nope i should go new age fancy... 2 3071 and 1 gtx3076 and "screw these stupid turbos" is strong with me.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:13 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by somefoo1
ok so i know i'm new to the 911 team but in the whole scheme of turbos that will survive lots of miles.... imho garret is pretty low on the list.

the non fancy borgs last FOREVER my tdo6 20g... the same... then i thought... nope i should go new age fancy... 2 3071 and 1 gtx3076 and "screw these stupid turbos" is strong with me.
Any quality turbo should survive tens of thousands of miles. Usually failure results in other areas; **** poor tune, oil or water restriction, exhaust back pressure, etc.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:34 PM
somefoo1 is a glorious beacon of lightsomefoo1 is a glorious beacon of lightsomefoo1 is a glorious beacon of lightsomefoo1 is a glorious beacon of lightsomefoo1 is a glorious beacon of lightsomefoo1 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by dhahlen
Any quality turbo should survive tens of thousands of miles. Usually failure results in other areas; **** poor tune, oil or water restriction, exhaust back pressure, etc.
Ok time for proper grammar. Sorry as director of engineering I have enough report writing at work.
Usually on subarus oil issues are the main concern. I think this was probably the issue with my turbos. It's not so much that the turbos are bad but the fact that subaru motors even with a good air oil separator and proper cool down times still have a tendency to burn oil or create excessive sludge in a short amount of time. I have a hypothesis that on ball bearing turbos with much smaller oil passageways the sludge prevents adequate flow through the turbo and premature failure.

My history with it went as follows. The original oil screen clogged and the stock ihi turbo failed, I removed the screen and installed an hta-tdo6 20g made a bunch of power for 40k miles and wanted more response. Tried the gt3071r failed in 12,000 miles without excessive egts, good air fuel ratio etc. tried another. Still had issues this one with the oil seal leaking by using the same oil restriction oriface as before. I was then insructed to go down a size, oil burning stopped, bearings failed a week later. I wanted more power anyway and went to the gtx-3076 same story again either pushing oil passed the seals and burning oil in my down pipe or bearing failure. Went to a Borg Warner s300sx3 on the same long block as all of the gt30s no problems for 40k more miles till I blew up the 5 speed , considered the six speed swap and laughed at myself for considering spending so much money on a car I'd never be able to sell for more than $15k.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:30 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by zero400
Anyone willing to discuss this further with simply claims and no data it won't do anything but spread misinformation. As for Rob Tuned results they are vbox verified like everyone elses. What results are you talking about that aren't?
I am willing to discuss with some data, speaking of data I haven't seen you post any empirical data to back up anything. Itguy has posted quiet a bit of data on this forum actually. You claim 7163 will spool much slower than X, you have anything to back that up. Back in 2013 handful of people used to argue that Alpha28 was the best spooling turbo ever, I said that a 3076 would spool the same and make more power..... So i went out and got some results. I suggest you give it a shot.

If anyone has a BW EFR Dyno they would like to send me I can overlay it with these files.

-A3076, 28psi, E85, Tony@EPL tuned, X-Pipe
-A28, 24psi, MS109, Tuned, X-Pipe
-K16G, 22psi, MS109, Tuned, Exhaust
-OEM K24, 15psi, 93oct, FVD Tuned, Cargraphic Exhaust

A3076 aren't spoolin that slow. Are they really BIG turbos if they spool faster than stock?

Enjoy..

dip at the end was a 044 going bad on my car.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |

Last edited by Mark @ AIM Performance; 02-12-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:51 AM
flewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by prodigymb
I am willing to discuss with some data, speaking of data I haven't you post any empirical data to back up anything. Itguy has posted quiet a bit of data on this forum actually. You claim 7163 will spool much slower than X, you have anything to back that up. Back in 2013 handful of people used to argue that Alpha28 was the best spooling turbo ever, I said that a 3076 would spool the same and make more power..... So i went out and got some results. I suggest you give it a shot.

If anyone has a BW EFR Dyno they would like to send me I can overlay it with these files.

A3076 aren't spoolin that slow. Are they really BIG turbos if they spool faster than stock?

Enjoy..

Thanks for addition with some data. Looks like those 3076 come on real nice . Like I said earlier to its hard to say blank is faster than blank unless if the exact same car with the same tune. So many thing you can do to affect spool that is not apples to apples.
BTW nice power on those graphs.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:15 AM
Former Vendor
BlackMarketRacing will become famous soon enoughBlackMarketRacing will become famous soon enough
Our 996 turbo kit uses the EFRs and I am sure I can get some dyno files from the tuner.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by prodigymb
I am willing to discuss with some data, speaking of data I haven't you post any empirical data to back up anything. Itguy has posted quiet a bit of data on this forum actually. You claim 7163 will spool much slower than X, you have anything to back that up. Back in 2013 handful of people used to argue that Alpha28 was the best spooling turbo ever, I said that a 3076 would spool the same and make more power..... So i went out and got some results. I suggest you give it a shot.

Enjoy..

So not trying to be a jerk but you know e85 is somewhat self oxygenating meaning it's like having a small shot of n2o in the fuel not to mention how much you can advance the timing and run higher compression... the graph looks good but it's apples to oranges if no one else is running ethanol or methanol blends.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:57 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by somefoo1
So not trying to be a jerk but you know e85 is somewhat self oxygenating meaning it's like having a small shot of n2o in the fuel not to mention how much you can advance the timing and run higher compression... the graph looks good but it's apples to oranges if no one else is running ethanol or methanol blends.
i am fully aware of what you can do with E85 and what the benefits are.

apples to oranges would be overlaying a 996TT graph with a GTR graph, A28s were ran on race gas so its not THAT big of a deal. its far better than hypothesizing on what "tad slower" spool is.

not trying to be a jerk but..... you got something better to show us?

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 02-12-2016, 12:18 PM
rever5e is a glorious beacon of lightrever5e is a glorious beacon of lightrever5e is a glorious beacon of lightrever5e is a glorious beacon of lightrever5e is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by itguy
Tuners posting their personal car 60-130 is meaningless and most realize that, point is getting a customer setup with the same thing and seeing repeatable results. I'd put 1000$ down against anyone willing to wager these 2 cars (vtg vs efr7163) on the same fuel, run down a track side by side. Zero400, will you take that bet?
You're saying these tuners that spend countless hours trying to perfect the power and drivability of a tune that when they post real-world results it's somehow meaningless? You have things backwards. Tuners who sit on the forum all day and run their mouths trying to sound smart are worthless. The only tuners you can trust are the ones that are going out and putting their money where their mouth is by pushing their cars on the street, drag strip, etc and producing real results. Talk is cheap.

Why in the world would a tuner deliver an inferior map to a customer? That makes absolutely zero sense. From my experience knowing multiple tuners and shops this has never been a practice i've seen. It's completely counter-intuitive. I'm so confused about your post it's blowing my mind.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:37 PM
su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rever5e
You're saying these tuners that spend countless hours trying to perfect the power and drivability of a tune that when they post real-world results it's somehow meaningless? You have things backwards. Tuners who sit on the forum all day and run their mouths trying to sound smart are worthless. The only tuners you can trust are the ones that are going out and putting their money where their mouth is by pushing their cars on the street, drag strip, etc and producing real results. Talk is cheap.

Why in the world would a tuner deliver an inferior map to a customer? That makes absolutely zero sense. From my experience knowing multiple tuners and shops this has never been a practice i've seen. It's completely counter-intuitive. I'm so confused about your post it's blowing my mind.
You know he is a tuner right?

Old 02-12-2016, 01:55 PM
rever5e is a glorious beacon of lightrever5e is a glorious beacon of lightrever5e is a glorious beacon of lightrever5e is a glorious beacon of lightrever5e is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by su_maverick
You know he is a tuner right?
That means very little. Calling yourself a tuner doesn't make you good at what you do. You do that by producing results.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:02 PM
He was pointing out that you don't really know who I/we are. With your virgin join date, he was simply informing you that we're not another arm chair engineer posting rubbish. You appear to be local to Rob, no one is attacking him, no need to be scared.
Yes i know Rob. I used to work with TopSpeed. If you look at my previous posts you'll see i mentioned that as well. I also know Doug Wilks @ DBW (just returned from there). I work with a local motorsports company as well. I'm not sure how my join date means anything here. You seem to be de-railing the conversation which is convenient.

Last edited by rever5e; 02-12-2016 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:09 PM
Because as far as everyone is concerned here, you have not contributed anything, have no credentials, and are trying to come across as an authority.
This is why i don't **** around on forums usually. Dude thinks he knows everything, won't discuss facts, gets butt hurt when someone questions his logic. I'm done here.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:26 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rever5e
This is why i don't **** around on forums usually. Dude thinks he knows everything, won't discuss facts, gets butt hurt when someone questions his logic. I'm done here.
What facts, exactly, are you trying to discuss? All I've seen is a bunch of childish bickering. Ask your question and let's move on.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:29 PM
flewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond repute
So much anger. Everyone shimmer down and let get back to the actual subject.

If you honestly want to compare spool and torque curves again you need the same car and same tune just a turbo swap back and forth.

Also on a fair note you should compare similar sizes like an a2871 to a 6758 or a3071/76 to a 7163

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any news on the BorgWarner EFR turbos?