996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Coolant pipe repair - now required for DE!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 09:33 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
My local shop is also doing a 996TT this weekend. They also recommend the pinning method opposed to welding. I'll be doing mine this summer.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:33 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pumalex
how did you test, did you buy hoses that were the size of each hose and plugged them? It must be a lot of work to pressure test those?
My tech that did the repair work discovered the leak before re-installing it (I provided the welded part). I never even thought about the possibility of it leaking, but he was aware that a repair of this nature often has a pin hole leak, as they have seen it occur previously in other similar applications. I'm not sure how he tested it, but probably like you described. I was surprised because the weld looked perfect, then relieved that he had the foresight to test it. He just said "Yea, we always pressure test repairs like this before installing them". Obviously, they had seen it before in 30 years of service work.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos

Last edited by John@SpeedTech; 02-10-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:54 AM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
I find OVR to be strict, but my observation is that they embrace important safety issues like this one in a sensible way. I haven't found them to be arbitrary or capricious about unimportant things. And I cannot argue with them on this. I had a coolant dump on track last year from a split hose. It caused me to spin, but fortunately in the slowest corner on the track. Others haven't been so fortunate.

I will pose the question to them about pinning vs welding. I have already had my water pump fittings pinned, but I'm having the engine dropped to do the rest. I'll post when I get a response.

I would like to see an answer to JPflip's question giving the exact fittings that ned to be addressed.

Jon

Old 02-11-2012, 01:01 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Hi I'm your Porsche glued in coolant fitting named Mayhem. You're going down the freeway and I just bust loose and dump all your coolant out for everyone behind you to skid all over the place and crash into each other. Don't bother calling PCNA, they'll just put you on hold with muzak. Hope your cut rate insurance is going to cover this freeway pile up because it's your fault.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:07 AM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
This is actually serious stuff...really sucks....especially if you have to pay to have this issue resolved....I heard $2,500+....ouch!

Old 02-11-2012, 03:25 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Duane996tt
Is anyone thinking class action lawsuit as this a known defect to PCNA that can result in serious injury or loss of life? I know we got some hungry attorneys on this board.
I'd be willing to chip in for a retainer. I'm not going to wait for it to happen to me to get fixed, but I want some compensation.

Originally Posted by ard
Anyone have a rationale as to why/how this failure would lead to injury/death at highway speeds? That's what NHTSA will use... Plus pcna is feeding them stats to help obscure the issue.

The key is to argue it is a risk for getting groceries...

Risk on the track is not going to influence regulators, IMO

A
Massive loss of coolant over the rear wheels at high speeds is a really easy case. You put you, anyone else in the car, and anyone else on the highway at risk.

Originally Posted by muker
Just so everyone knows, the OVR chapter is quite picky....I had instructed with BMW CCA for 6+ years and asked them to consider me to instruct with them and I was told I had to be a student for several weekend before I was considered. I guess not totally unreasonable but again quite picky....
Yeah, picky to me is like Goldcoast (I think) PCA that were going to require you to be able to heel toe to drive in the advanced group or something like that. When cars are just driving around dumping coolant all over, I see where they are coming from.

Originally Posted by FAST FWD
I find OVR to be strict, but my observation is that they embrace important safety issues like this one in a sensible way. I haven't found them to be arbitrary or capricious about unimportant things. And I cannot argue with them on this. I had a coolant dump on track last year from a split hose. It caused me to spin, but fortunately in the slowest corner on the track. Others haven't been so fortunate.

I will pose the question to them about pinning vs welding. I have already had my water pump fittings pinned, but I'm having the engine dropped to do the rest. I'll post when I get a response.

I would like to see an answer to JPflip's question giving the exact fittings that ned to be addressed.

Jon
I'd have to question what they do about Corvette's, I'd bet the number of Corvette's blowing up has to be equal or greater than the number of coolant spillages considering the production numbers. I saw a guy crash his new GT2 at the track from following a Z06 that went boom. And been at the track when at least 5-6 other Corvette's (7 including my old C5, but no spillage) went boom.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:33 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
BTW I had a leaky coolant fixture in 2010 so I replaced mine, and with it also the adhesive. I do slightly recall him saying something about the fittings being loose and that he was using something MUCH stronger, but I wasn't paying attention much at the time because I didn't think it was a serious issue. I'm going to call and ask, but I'm still getting mine pinned.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:21 AM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I'd have to question what they do about Corvette's, I'd bet the number of Corvette's blowing up has to be equal or greater than the number of coolant spillages considering the production numbers. I saw a guy crash his new GT2 at the track from following a Z06 that went boom. And been at the track when at least 5-6 other Corvette's (7 including my old C5, but no spillage) went boom.
Dunno about Corvettes Dez. This was a communication that came from OVR via Club Registration, and I am pretty sure that it went only to owners of 996/997 TT, GT2 and GT3 vehicles.

Like you, I can't say that I blame them. Mid-Ohio is a pretty fast track, and there are some concrete walls.

I sent the query about allowing the pinned fittings. Will post when I hear back.

Jon

Old 02-11-2012, 12:27 PM
code7rpd has a spectacular aura aboutcode7rpd has a spectacular aura about
If you use the pinning method I suspect a small thread bolt (4 or 5 mm) is used, but what type of thread sealant should be used on the bolt threads? Can all of the weak spots be easily pinned by dropping the motor?

Old 02-11-2012, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by code7rpd
If you use the pinning method I suspect a small thread bolt (4 or 5 mm) is used, but what type of thread sealant should be used on the bolt threads? Can all of the weak spots be easily pinned by dropping the motor?
Here is the link to the original post by Sharkwerks. Looks like they use red Loctite to secure and seal.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ark-werks.html

There is another recent thread started by JPflip that identifies the 8 pipes that need this repair:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ts-needed.html

Old 02-11-2012, 12:43 PM
I heard back from the OVR guys. It looks like they are amenable to the pinning method as a legit fix as well. Let me not speak for them, however, and wait until they make the final decision.

Jon

Old 02-11-2012, 01:50 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Duane996tt
Hi I'm your Porsche glued in coolant fitting named Mayhem. You're going down the freeway and I just bust loose and dump all your coolant out for everyone behind you to skid all over the place and crash into each other. Don't bother calling PCNA, they'll just put you on hold with muzak. Hope your cut rate insurance is going to cover this freeway pile up because it's your fault.
lol!

Old 02-11-2012, 02:27 PM
salerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud of

Old 02-11-2012, 02:30 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by salerno713
When you look at it like that, it seems to be lots of work
and there is a couple missing on that picture.....

Old 02-11-2012, 04:29 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by salerno713
I can only count 6 fittings. I thought there were a couple of curved ones, no? Also, why not just weld the original fittings instead of buying the kit?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Coolant pipe repair - now required for DE!