996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

100 cell vs straight pipes??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 05:04 AM
Another P has a spectacular aura aboutAnother P has a spectacular aura about
stealing the thread for a moment for selfish questions.

I run Fabspeed with 200 cats since its my dd. Does going catless for track days make a noticeable difference in performance? It seems a super easy swap with Fabspeed. Also does my EVOMSit tune work no matter what I do back there?
Thanks.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:30 PM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Another P
stealing the thread for a moment for selfish questions.

I run Fabspeed with 200 cats since its my dd. Does going catless for track days make a noticeable difference in performance? It seems a super easy swap with Fabspeed. Also does my EVOMSit tune work no matter what I do back there?
Thanks.
Hey Another P, yes you can swap out the cats for bypass pipes for increased HP and TQ. It takes about hour or two to swap out and will work perfectly with the rest of the exhaust system and EVO Tune. The EVOMSit tuning is great and when combined with the bypass pipes, you will experience faster turbo spool and stronger boost at times. PM me if you have any questions and for special member pricing on them.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:31 AM
ADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to behold
I can smell a car without cats from a few car lengths. You can smell that raw fuel smell, kinda like an old school hot rod. Sometimes I like it but most of the time it's obnoxious, not necessary. If you use a larger diameter 100 cell cats, that means more passages better flow due to bigger diameter. I found a local fabricator which has 5" 100 cell stainless steel, high flow, metal matrix race cats for low 200s. I looked high and low and these are the only ones I could find that looked nice, had good quality, 5" diameter and stainless steel. They are nicely polished as well. Most of the ss cats I found looked like crap, were only 4" and still cost about that much if not more. The only other nice cat I found was the German ones that GMG uses but they are over 300 a piece. They don't look any better than the ones I got either. I actually like mine better.

Even though they are only 100 cell cats, they will make a big difference in cleaning up the gasses coming out the back and quitting down the car. Is it really worth 5 or so hp to dump all that raw fuel in the atmosphere, and smell it every time you are stuck in traffic. Really bad on hot days; stinks. lol
I might have a sensitive nose.

BTW, EVOMSit Tune… What a bargain… only 3.5K

How much does the FABSPEED exhaust weigh with the cats, and the 4 cans?

Last edited by ADAMNSONS; 12-06-2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:15 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ADAMNSONS
I can smell a car without cats from a few car lengths. You can smell that raw fuel smell, kinda like an old school hot rod. Sometimes I like it but most of the time it's obnoxious, not necessary. If you use a larger diameter 100 cell cats, that means more passages better flow due to bigger diameter. I found a local fabricator which has 5" 100 cell stainless steel, high flow, metal matrix race cats for low 200s. I looked high and low and these are the only ones I could find that looked nice, had good quality, 5" diameter and stainless steel. They are nicely polished as well. Most of the ss cats I found looked like crap, were only 4" and still cost about that much if not more. The only other nice cat I found was the German ones that GMG uses but they are over 300 a piece. They don't look any better than the ones I got either. I actually like mine better.

Even though they are only 100 cell cats, they will make a big difference in cleaning up the gasses coming out the back and quitting down the car. Is it really worth 5 or so hp to dump all that raw fuel in the atmosphere, and smell it every time you are stuck in traffic. Really bad on hot days; stinks. lol
I might have a sensitive nose.

BTW, EVOMSit Tune… What a bargain… only 3.5K

How much does the FABSPEED exhaust weigh with the cats, and the 4 cans?
The HJS 100 cell cats that come on my Milltek are also 5'' and the large taper on the piping to the muffler inlet is a nice tranition...
I have been torn to change to a cat delete pipe..

Old 12-06-2012, 11:52 AM
ADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to behold
You have a good cat setup there John =) 100 Cell might be better than 200 though; just to clean up the unburnt fuel smell. The power rating is a bit low for the 200s with 480 for 2 units. yikes
BTW, I don't know why I automatically assumed you had the 200 cell ones?? Somebody needs his coffee. Which ones do you have John? They are a bit expensive are they not?
I would use 100 cels and be happy with it. I don't think the power gain is worth the stink

Last edited by ADAMNSONS; 12-06-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:11 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
People keep mentioning stink. I dont experience any stink in my 996tt with 3" catless SpeedTech system.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:18 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
You have a good cat setup there John =) 100 Cell might be better than 200 though; just to clean up the unburnt fuel smell. The power rating is a bit low for the 200s with 480 for 2 units. yikes
BTW, I don't know why I automatically assumed you had the 200 cell ones?? Somebody needs his coffee. Which ones do you have John? They are a bit expensive are they not?
I would use 100 cels and be happy with it. I don't think the power gain is worth the stink
Hi,, I did say I had 100 cell, weak coffee..lol
Mine are rated at 350 HP each and they are expensive from HJS.
But those might still hurt spool time and response over catless..

Old 12-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by XLR82XS
People keep mentioning stink. I dont experience any stink in my 996tt with 3" catless SpeedTech system.
I guess it depends on which way the wind is blowing when sitting still..lol..
I think some let there cars idle in the garage , with door open...lol..

Old 12-06-2012, 12:34 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
Personally I love the smell of race gas.

If you don't like the smell of raw fuel there are products out there that sent the exhaust. Just add it to your gas tank. They have many "flavors" like bubble gum or root beer

A real hit at cars and coffee or the local drive in.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mo...9-44/overview/

Old 12-06-2012, 12:39 PM
[QUOTE=TurboTodd;3710872]Personally I love the smell of race gas.

If you don't like the smell of raw fuel there are products out there that sent the exhaust. Just add it to your gas tank. They have many "flavors" like bubble gum or root beer

A real hit at cars and coffee or the local drive in.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mo...9-44/overview/[/QUOTE)
I love the smell of leaded race gas with catless.
But unleaded pump gas on catless stinks to me..

Old 12-08-2012, 03:50 PM
Frickin hillarious

Do they have Vanilla Mocha?? Very fitting for the Cars n Coffee. hehehe

Race gas smells great. Can't say the same for regular pump gas. Big difference.
Sorry to say I don't have access to racegas everyday, and at $12 a gallon, I will stick with my meth injection. A car running on 100% Alcohol\Methanol, I don't mean meth injection, smells awesome. My GC8 runs on Alcohol and I love the smell. It's addicting.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Frickin hillarious

Do they have Vanilla Mocha?? Very fitting for the Cars n Coffee. hehehe

Race gas smells great. Can't say the same for regular pump gas. Big difference.
Sorry to say I don't have access to racegas everyday, and at $12 a gallon, I will stick with my meth injection. A car running on 100% Alcohol\Methanol, I don't mean meth injection, smells awesome. My GC8 runs on Alcohol and I love the smell. It's addicting.
We have 110 leaded for 6.99 and 100 unleaded for 5.29 near us in Chicago,out of the pump..So you really dont know if it is true?
I only use the leaded and mix it with 93 pump for my Hot Rod Harleys..
Actually I make more or the same HP with the mix as using straight 110..