996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996TT Exhaust Suggestions -- Not much louder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 09:58 AM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
996TT Exhaust Suggestions -- Not much louder

This might be an odd question -- but are there any recommendations for 996TT exhausts that are NOT much louder than stock? I'm interested more in possible performance gains, but I'm not looking to make the car much louder (I especially don't want to have problems with the sound limitations at some tracks). Any ideas?

Old 03-24-2012, 10:10 AM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Speedtech 2.5 cross flow. I have the 3.0 and it can be loud, but really not that bad. I can only imagine the 2.5 is much quieter.

Unfortunately I don't think any of them will be at the 93 db limitation of Laguna. Since they only measure it on that one section, and from a distance, I'll bet the speedtech will be close. I used to track a subaru sti there with a catless setup and never had a problem.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:16 AM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
You've got to hear my Europipe Stage 1. This would be the exact exhaust to meet your goals. Its got a much lower tone than stock and Its only slightly louder under normal driving and lets out a nice whale when you get on the throttle at high rpm. You can hear the turbos spooling which is cool too. As far as performance, it is noticalbe from my "seat of the pants" feel. Turbo lag seems to be all but gone and the turbos spool sooner in the RPM range so the biggest power gain feels like its in the lower end. I sure do love it. I still haven't taken it back to Sharkwerks yet either for an updated tune which they said they would do whenever I got an exhaust so I guess things can still get better.

I was going to go to Santana Row for cars and coffee today but the weather seems to be doing away with that idea. Maybe next weekend and you can hear it then.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:19 AM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Turbo
You've got to hear my Europipe Stage 1. This would be the exact exhaust to meet your goals. Its got a much lower tone than stock and Its only slightly louder under normal driving and lets out a nice whale when you get on the throttle at high rpm. You can hear the turbos spooling which is cool too. As far as performance, it is noticalbe from my "seat of the pants" feel. Turbo lag seems to be all but gone and the turbos spool sooner in the RPM range so the biggest power gain feels like its in the lower end. I sure do love it. I still haven't taken it back to Sharkwerks yet either for an updated tune which they said they would do whenever I got an exhaust so I guess things can still get better.

I was going to go to Santana Row for cars and coffee today but the weather seems to be doing away with that idea. Maybe next weekend and you can hear it then.
Sounds good -- I'll look forward to hearing it! Since I have to go out that way anyway, I'll be swinging by SR shortly. Catch up with you next time.

*** Edited: Just another quick thought -- if it's much louder at WOT, that might still be a problem for me. As you can imagine, sound meters at the track are usually located where you'd be at WOT.

Last edited by Aerodude; 03-24-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:22 AM
DYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to all
I had the secondaries removed and the tip "poke-through" mod. Its louder than stock but not completely crazy.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:28 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Hey,I love my Milltek system for those reasons!!

Old 03-24-2012, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by DYL 911
I had the secondaries removed and the tip "poke-through" mod. Its louder than stock but not completely crazy.
Does the poke through mod improve performance? I thought that was really just for sound.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:34 AM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
cut your oem exhaust, take out cats,reweld new cats on and done

Old 03-24-2012, 10:36 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Aerodude
Does the poke through mod improve performance? I thought that was really just for sound.
It helps,,anything you do to let more exhaust out and to get it out faster will help the performance of the stock restrictive system..

Old 03-24-2012, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by Blockhed
Thanks. Didn't think of that. So it's the cats that are more restrictive than the exhaust? Would I go to fewer cells?

Old 03-24-2012, 10:48 AM
Also,you can punch out completely the first set of cats on each side.You have 2 sets of cats on each side....

Old 03-24-2012, 11:01 AM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
I've got poke through stock right now and can really feel the performance hit over my Miltek and Switzer. Gutting the cats would help. For the money might be with looking at PBK.

My poke through and Miltek passed at Laguna. Should have kept that Miltek...

Old 03-24-2012, 11:19 AM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Blockhed
Originally Posted by Aerodude
Thanks. Didn't think of that. So it's the cats that are more restrictive than the exhaust? Would I go to fewer cells?

My previous exhaust is that , no secondary cats and 3" cut out on the internal pipe- sounds good- very good. Let me know if you are interested. I'm not going back to it- i love my current exhaust. Also eugene, it depends on what rpm you are at turn 6 i believe it is at Laguna. I do NOT pass with a full stock exhaust...fwiw. But if Daren can pass with X pipe of a tubie, i'll find away to pass with mine

Old 03-24-2012, 11:22 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
We make them per order per client. Thus, we can build one to specs without complaints in most cases... We make the mufflers from scratch as well and choose various material combinations in building it depending on the goal.
here's a sample:
best
markski

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 03-24-2012, 11:38 AM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
My low mileage Europipe Stage 1 is currently for sale, will sell for 60% of new price

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996TT Exhaust Suggestions -- Not much louder