996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Should I go all the way plugs and coils?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 10:25 PM
ypshan is on a distinguished road
Should I go all the way plugs and coils?

I got CEL and the car sputtered under full boost. The dealership determined that it's a bad coil. We have 26K miles on the 02 X50 TT on original plugs and coils.

They told me changing the one bad coil is under warranty. I have the option to pay for any extra work that I'd like done while they are in there.

Should I ask them to replace all 6 coils and plugs? Is there anything else that I should be considering?

Thanks.

Old 05-31-2005, 10:30 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
How much are they going to charge you to do the plug change and replace the five new coils?

Old 06-01-2005, 08:19 PM
I am not sure. What would be reasonable?

Old 06-01-2005, 08:34 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
That is crazy, they should do the plugs too. If the coil is bad it will foul the plug. They too would need to be changed due to the warranty item failing.

Old 06-01-2005, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the insight Stephen.

The read out of CEL indicates one of the coil is bad. I will ask them to replace the corresponding plug under warranty. However, there are still 5 more coils that are OK (at least for now). I figure that the labor to get to them would be more than the parts so might as well ask them to change all 6 coils and plugs. (I believe each plug has its own coil.)

Does that make sense? Or does the coil seldem fail and I'd be fine without changing the rest 5 coils (just all the plugs)?

Old 06-02-2005, 12:14 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
If the engine hass to be dropped to do anything under warranty, it would be worth you while to get other stuff done. This way dropping the engine at a later date, which may have to be covered by you ($$$) may be mitigated.

Condsiderations:

- New Clutch
- Diverter Valves
- Intake Plenum

Mike

Old 06-02-2005, 06:55 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
The thing about coil packs is it could be that or not. I switch them around and look for the coil to follow the number of cylinder it was moved to. If not then it is plugs. They have to do the one side I would argue that a misfire has caused the system to load up on fuel to protect itself and to replace all the plugs. Either way the plugs can throw the same code as a coil.

Old 06-02-2005, 08:11 AM
Orli930 is on a distinguished road
My car was running like ****..............it kept misfiring and had no power. I had no bad coil packs and two bad plugs.

Old 06-02-2005, 08:18 AM
BCS996TT is on a distinguished road
That's ridiculous...

If you have the time...do it yourself.... it's an easy task...a bit time consuming, but easy.

No need to drop the engine at all.