996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Brake master cylinder question ???? 27mm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 07:54 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mmm635
I ended up making a new line with the proper fittings on each end with a flare tool - double flare. The autozone adapter is not a simple plug and play - it requires some sanding in order to make the threads catch properly.
Ok, I'm lost here. Below is the link to the Autozone M12 bubble male adapter that crews into the Master cylinder? Is this what you are modifying and why since it screws fully into the Master and engages without a problem? The male portion is a M12x1.0 bubble and the female is 3/8-24 inverted.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=183672_0_0_

M12x1.0 bubble to 3:8-24 inverted by pwdrhound1, on Flickr

Are you talking about having to sand or modify the autozone M12 adapter that actually threads into the Master cylinder OR are you talking about having to modify the 3/8-24 tube nut that is used on the 3/16 (4.75mm) brake line that threads into the female inverted flare portion of the adapter (that is threaded into the Master)? I assume you fabricated a new line with a M10x1.0 bubble fitting on one end (the one that screws into the PSM pump) and a 3/8-24 inverted double flare fitting on the other end that screws into the Autozone adapter that is on the Master? However you state that you made a line with inverted flare fittings on both ends which would require you to also use an adapter on the PSM pump also since that is set up for a M10x1.0 bubble fitting. Confused....

Attached Images  

Last edited by pwdrhound; 02-18-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:31 AM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
Why not use a reverse flare to AN on the master and the abs block and use a braided line to fill it in? I know it is more money but I never have luck with the double flare tool.
Tim
Citroen tools from the UK makes a unit that is very affordable that does a decent job of double flairs. It is 10x the tool that any of my snap-on flairing tools are; or any other brand I have found locally. They can be found on e-bay for a fairly cheap price. They are the ones in the blue steel case.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html?_...d=250535709474

Or the Sykes tool
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vice-Bench...item48455e51e1

Last edited by Engine Guy; 02-19-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:44 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Engine Guy
Tim Citroen tools from the UK makes a unit that is very affordable that does fairly decent job of double flairs. It is 10x the tool that any of my snap-on flairing tools are; or any other brand I have found locally. They can be found on e-bay for a fairly cheap price. They are the ones in the blue steel case.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html?_...d=250535709474
I just ordered this one which is supposed to be pretty good. Looks similar to the British unit

http://www.summitracing.com/search/b...ring-tool-kits

Old 02-19-2013, 04:58 AM
Banned
mmm635 will become famous soon enoughmmm635 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Ok, I'm lost here. Below is the link to the Autozone M12 bubble male adapter that crews into the Master cylinder? Is this what you are modifying and why since it screws fully into the Master and engages without a problem? The male portion is a M12x1.0 bubble and the female is 3/8-24 inverted.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=183672_0_0_

M12x1.0 bubble to 3:8-24 inverted by pwdrhound1, on Flickr

Are you talking about having to sand or modify the autozone M12 adapter that actually threads into the Master cylinder OR are you talking about having to modify the 3/8-24 tube nut that is used on the 3/16 (4.75mm) brake line that threads into the female inverted flare portion of the adapter (that is threaded into the Master)? I assume you fabricated a new line with a M10x1.0 bubble fitting on one end (the one that screws into the PSM pump) and a 3/8-24 inverted double flare fitting on the other end that screws into the Autozone adapter that is on the Master? However you state that you made a line with inverted flare fittings on both ends which would require you to also use an adapter on the PSM pump also since that is set up for a M10x1.0 bubble fitting. Confused....
I made a new line that has a 10mm and 12mm fitting on it. The 12 goes into the master cylinder in the rear port and the other 10mm end goes into the ABS pre-pump. As far as I know, I went through every option with Suncoast in trying to find a compatible brake line that would simply plug in - no such luck.

The adapter you that was shown earlier was the exact same one I used and another poster used and had to modify it - I decided not to go this route. The cone shaped end of the adapter is too long in order for the threads to engage in the master cylinder female threaded opening (12mm), and

Old 02-19-2013, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by mmm635
I made a new line that has a 10mm and 12mm fitting on it. The 12 goes into the master cylinder in the rear port and the other 10mm end goes into the ABS pre-pump. As far as I know, I went through every option with Suncoast in trying to find a compatible brake line that would simply plug in - no such luck.

The adapter you that was shown earlier was the exact same one I used and another poster used and had to modify it - I decided not to go this route. The cone shaped end of the adapter is too long in order for the threads to engage in the master cylinder female threaded opening (12mm), and
Ok, gotcha. So you bought a 3/16 (4.75mm) same size as OEM brake line and put a M10x1.0 bubble flare nut on one side and a M12x1.0 bubble flare nut on the other side. I assume there were no issues with the small 3/16 line bubble flare sealing properly on the larger M12 outlet port on the brake master? The reason I ask is that normally the larger 1/4" brake line that is used with the larger M12 port (as is used on the front M12 port of the brake master) creates a much larger bubble flare with a greater sealing surface.

Also, what tool did you use to make the good bubble flare on your new line? A well make flare is critical for a good seal as you know.

Thx...

Old 02-20-2013, 10:03 PM
Banned
mmm635 will become famous soon enoughmmm635 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Ok, gotcha. So you bought a 3/16 (4.75mm) same size as OEM brake line and put a M10x1.0 bubble flare nut on one side and a M12x1.0 bubble flare nut on the other side. I assume there were no issues with the small 3/16 line bubble flare sealing properly on the larger M12 outlet port on the brake master? The reason I ask is that normally the larger 1/4" brake line that is used with the larger M12 port (as is used on the front M12 port of the brake master) creates a much larger bubble flare with a greater sealing surface.

Also, what tool did you use to make the good bubble flare on your new line? A well make flare is critical for a good seal as you know.

Thx...
A simple double flare tool from Autozone will do the trick - it is how you actually make it. most of my tools are purchased from either Mac or Snap-On for my shop. However, i had this flare tool from a long time ago and was going to purchase one from the Snap-On truck the other day. Honestly, it looks no different in quality or design than the Autozone tool.

My lines are very tight and no leaks. I also replaced my brake booster while I was in there.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:10 AM
So after a lot of hair pulling I finally bought a professional brake line flaring tool which made making OEM quality bubble flares very simple and easy. I tried the simple flaring tools available at Autozone and other auto parts places but was not happy with the quality of the flares created by these tools. I ended up making a brake line with a 10mm nut on one end and a 12mm nut on the master cylinder end. I used a tubing bender and the result was a line on par with the quality of the OEM brake line. FYI, as was suggested in a previous post, using a 12mm/AN along with a 10mm/AN fitting adapter and connecting to a braided steel brake line will not work as the 12mm portion of the 12mm/AN adapter is not deep enough to engage and seal the base of the brake master port. I looked at all the options and making a new line is really the only way to go.

Brake line 12mm:10mm by pwdrhound1, on Flickr

12mm brake line by pwdrhound1, on Flickr

12mm 997master brake line by pwdrhound1, on Flickr

Attached Images    
Old 02-22-2013, 11:34 AM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
you should start making those and selling them, i am first in line to buy one

Old 02-22-2013, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by pumalex
you should start making those and selling them, i am first in line to buy one
I could probably get a few made up if there were a few people interested to make it worthwhile...

Old 02-22-2013, 08:06 PM
contigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant future
I just ordered the 27 cilinder if you are going to do it I need it now

Old 02-23-2013, 04:48 AM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
i will need one too.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:28 AM
Scawt is just really niceScawt is just really niceScawt is just really niceScawt is just really nice
I'll take one too!

Old 02-25-2013, 12:19 AM
I'm out of town for the next week or so but should be able to get a few made up for the couple of guys here I guess. I will say one thing, the difference in pedal feel is huge with the 27mm master!! I have the 997.2 PCCB Brakes with 380mm front steel floating rotors and 350mm rear steel floaters using PFC race pads and the pedal is hard as a rock after the conversion. It feels like you are stepping on a brick with a definite hard end point. My friend has a 2008 997 GT3 with the identical rotor/caliper/pad set up and the brake pedal feel is exactly the same on both cars. It's definitely a huge improvement over the mushy OEM 25mm brake master. A very worthwhile mod.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:35 AM
contigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant future
Sounds perfect can we get a cost and paypal account to get this going please

Old 02-26-2013, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by contigo
Sounds perfect can we get a cost and paypal account to get this going please
Anyone that's interested in the custom line just PM me and I'll send details. Thx.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brake master cylinder question ???? 27mm