996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

A Question Regarding to Mod...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 03:28 AM
luting_chen is on a distinguished road
A Question Regarding to Mod...

I was looking over some board, they said that if we're to mod the ECU, and raise the redline over 7000 rpm, we'll need to change the Rod within the car...eg. Pauter Titanium Rod.

Is it needed for the 996 Turbo? I think that applies to the older generation of Porsches...

Also, is the rod used in the turbo engine made of titanium? The one they use in the GT3RS?

I'm now planning the engine mod for my car, looking forward to have it around 600hp... but I don't want to loose the longevity of the engine or etc (i know it really depends on the way you drive)...But just to feel safer, i wonder if by changing to the titanium rod used in gt3rs would help...

people usually just change to the gt2 intercooler and perhaps a better clutch...
but i wonder at around 600hp, is the rod needed to be upgraded?

I saw the RS-Tunning program that they actually changed the camshaft as well...

I'm kinda frustrated @_@....

Thanx for the feed back in advance

Old 07-17-2003, 10:14 PM
Anyone????????

Old 07-17-2003, 11:13 PM
AMG-ETR
Honestly I don't know the answers to any of those questions, however seeing that you want to be around 600HP, I can suggest you check out the Evo stage 4 kit (www.evoms.com). There are a few people on this board, and others that have it and rave about it. I am currently looking at buying a turbo with this kit. I have heard there are people at or above 30K miles with this kit without problems, but this is all second hand info.
Good Luck,
Evan

Old 07-17-2003, 11:24 PM
Thanx...^___^
I'm interested in that kit as well...
but the stage 4 you're referring to is the one with modified K24...
and the new kit is with garrett...

people are saying that garrett turbo don't last long and has problem with longevity issue...
that's what turn me down from that...and still waiting to see if anyone installed that kit and actually has no problem with it...

~><~...

thanx for the reply...^_____^

Old 07-18-2003, 07:12 AM
Marcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Question Regarding to Mod...

Originally posted by luting_chen
Also, is the rod used in the turbo engine made of titanium? The one they use in the GT3RS?
You will never see a titanium rod in a stock production car that isn't meant strictly for racing.

-m

Old 07-18-2003, 07:29 AM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
Re: Re: A Question Regarding to Mod...

Originally posted by Marcus Frost
You will never see a titanium rod in a stock production car that isn't meant strictly for racing.

-m

The New GT3 has titanium rods. Its not "strictly" for racing.

Old 07-18-2003, 07:36 AM
msindi is on a distinguished road
I agree in that for 600HP tou can do EVO level 4...jcramair has it and is really happy with it. I personally have an X50 and will hopefulyy be doing EVO headers and GIAC and level 2 clutch along with a 70mm exhaust from Europipe or Techart and sport intake pipes from Techart or Gemballa...
No need to modify internals for 600 HP - just bigger turbos and ECU.

Old 07-18-2003, 08:05 AM
Marcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Re: Re: A Question Regarding to Mod...

Originally posted by ShankGT2
The New GT3 has titanium rods. Its not "strictly" for racing.

That's very pioneering of Porsche. I've dealt with Titanium rods in a number of applications and while being lightweight and strong are strong attributes, their longevity leaves quite a bit to be desired. The old Lingenfelter Corvette used Titanium rods in their 427 block and they required adjustments with every oil change.

Technology is changing it seems.

-m

Old 07-18-2003, 09:02 AM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
Re: Re: A Question Regarding to Mod...

Originally posted by Marcus Frost

-m
The Acura NSX comes stock with titanium connecting rods. I think it was the first production car to incorporate this.