996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Error Code 4281 - Brake Fluid Level - HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 10:37 AM
drug delivery will become famous soon enough
Error Code 4281 - Brake Fluid Level - HELP

This morning I went to pull the car out of the garage and the PSM and Brake lights came on with the noted failure statements in the display. I cleared these on the display and the lights stayed on. I turned the car off and then back on to see what happens and they came back on. Durametic shows code 4821 Brake Fluid Level. After a few minutes of checking things out and starting the car again, I received a warning in the display saying "Brake Distribution".

The brake fluid level is at the max and is perfectly clear. I'm not sure when it was last changed. My brake pad levels are less than 50% but not too worn down yet. The car seems to brake fine in the driveway but I haven't driven it anywhere since the codes/warnings popped up this morning.

I only found one other thread reporting this issue from 2004 and it seems it was related to driving on the track, and no solution was noted in that thread.

Any ideas? Since I have brakes I assume I won't suddenly have catastrophic failure, but it's not a nice feeling so I'd like to have some ideas before I head out on the road again.

Thanks.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:39 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Hum, that's not common. According to the wiring diagram there are only three wires going to the reservoir. Can you check the plug condition and clean the contact if possible....You have to remove the black plastic cover and you will found a plug under. I have very limited experience in this area so keep us inform of your findings.... I wonder if the level is transmitted through a float switch. Take a look in the reservoir and look if there is a float and if it is stuck to the bottom.....

Attached Images  

Last edited by jpflip; 09-08-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by jpflip
Hum, that's not common. According to the wiring diagram there are only three wires going to the reservoir. Can you check the plug condition and clean the contact if possible....You have to remove the black plastic cover and you will found a plug under. I have very limited experience in this area so keep us inform of your findings.... I wonder if the level is transmitted through a float switch. Take a look in the reservoir and look if there is a float and if it is stuck to the bottom.....
I took the cover off and everything looks very good under there. No corrosion anywhere. The plug is very clean and it seemed to be connected well. I did disconnect and reconnect the plug.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:35 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by drug delivery
I took the cover off and everything looks very good under there. No corrosion anywhere. The plug is very clean and it seemed to be connected well. I did disconnect and reconnect the plug.
Just came back from looking at my car and after gently removing the filter you will be able to see , in the center of the cup a small float. press down on it and see if it is coming back. I thing that is what is triggering the low level warning....

Attached Images   

Last edited by jpflip; 09-08-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Couple of good post about the subject see post#13!!! https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ing-false.html and here for the brake distribution warning....http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...th-no-fault-c/

Last edited by jpflip; 09-08-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:13 PM
I can confirm the small button in the center of the cup when you are looking inside the reservoir (of course with the filter removed) is the floating switch because when I press down on it I trigger the signal for low level warning! But no message of brake distribution....

Note: With the engine running select PSM on and off and also parking brake on and off.....

Last edited by jpflip; 09-08-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:55 PM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Fault code 4281
Brake fluid level
Diagnostic conditions

Status of the brake fluid level switch is evaluated and displays an
implausible value

Short circuit to ground or open circuit in circuit to control module
terminal 36

The filtering time until the fault code is set is approx. 20 seconds
Possible cause of fault

Brake fluid level too low

Wiring/ plug connection faulty

PSM hydraulic unit faulty
Affected terminals

Terminal 36

Diagnosis/troubleshooting
Work instruction Display OK If not OK
1 Brake fluid

Check the brake fluid level OK

Step 2
Correct the fluid
level

End
2 Check ground lead of the
level switch

Ignition off

Pull plug off brake fluid level
switch

Measure resistance between terminal
2 of plug on brake fluid
level switch and ground
< 5

Ω

Step 3
Open circuit
between terminal 2
of plug on brake
fluid level switch and
ground point 3
End

Printed in Germany

4, 2001
3 Check level switch

Measure resistance between terminal
1 of brake fluid level
switch socket and terminal 2 of
brake fluid level switch socket
approx. 100

Ω (at

°C)

Step 4

< 100 Ω
Short circuit in circuit
between brake
fluid level switch terminal
1 and brake

Open circuit
between brake fluid
level switch terminal
1 and brake fluid
level switch terminal

End
4 Check signal lead of the
level switch

Pull off the PSM control module
plug

Measure resistance between
PSM control module plug terminal
36 and brake fluid level
switch terminal 1
< 5

Ω

Step 5
Open circuit
between PSM control
module plug terminal
36 and brake

End
5 Check signal lead of the
level switch for short circuit
to B+

Pull off plug II on the instrument
cluster

Switch on ignition

Measure voltage between PSM
control module plug terminal 36
and ground
< 0.3 V

Step 6
Short circuit to voltage
between PSM
control module plug
terminal 36 and
brake fluid level
switch terminal 1
and instrument cluster
plug terminal II/4

End
6 Check signal lead of the
level switch for short circuit
to ground

Switch off ignition

Measure resistance between
PSM control module plug terminal
36 and ground
> 500

Ω

Step 7
Short circuit to
ground between
PSM control module
plug terminal 36
and brake fluid level
switch terminal 1
and instrument cluster
plug terminal II/4

End
7 PSM control module faulty
End

Its a lot of info I know but its out the workshop manual PDF which is why its copied across like it has.
Frank

Last edited by Frank ( Sunnyside ); 09-08-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:04 PM
This is scary Frank Of course if nothing I've mention work you will have to follow the step by step dd but my point is there is a message that seems to be difficult to understand which is part of the image :Brake distribution" ????? Computer bugs?

Old 09-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
This is scary Frank Of course if nothing I've mention work you will have to follow the step by step dd but my point is there is a message that seems to be difficult to understand which is part of the image :Brake distribution" ????? Computer bugs?
isn't everything to do with these beasts a bit scary.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:41 PM
I can confirm the small button in the center of the cup when you are looking inside the reservoir (of course with the filter removed) is the floating switch because when I press down on it I trigger the signal for low level warning! But no message of brake distribution....

Note: With the engine running select PSM on and off and also parking brake on and off.....
I saw the thread you mentioned earlier but didn't quite know what the float was until I saw your photo. I checked and the float seems to move freely. I reset the code with the Durametric and drove the car quite a bit today and have had no more codes. I guess if it comes back again then I may need to look more closely at the electrical. Since I'll be taking the car in soon for spark plugs and replacing the oil flow sensor I guess I'll have the mechanic take a look at the electrical connections for the brakes and see if everything is connected well and working as it should. The post by Sunnyside is a good post for this issue.

Last edited by drug delivery; 09-08-2012 at 07:43 PM.