996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What aftermarket radio looks good?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 05:59 PM
Third-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond repute
Another pic with cup holder.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:47 PM
jayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to behold
I think the Metra kit available on Amazon leaves the cup holder intact. I just ordered this along with a Sony CarPlay unit that looks to integrate nicely with the interior and retains a volume ****. I just hope I can make it work with my 03 MOST interface. Apparently the 03 are more problematic than other years in this regard.

This is an informative thread

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ggestions.html

Old 07-30-2019, 12:36 PM
Ms4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond repute
Any additional photos of the single din? thx

Old 07-31-2019, 11:14 PM
jayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BMiller33
I really like this. Is it possible/kit to move the climate control up one bin? I don't particularly like it that low.
There is a thread about that here: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...slot-down.html

Unfortunately due to the way the edges of the hvac trim bezel and cubby are tapered, they are not readily interchangeable, and to my knowledge there is no oem piece available to put the hvac in slot #3. So you’d be grinding down the cubby and fabbing a mount and bezel for the hvac unit. In my case I have the beautiful leather wrapped everything that I won’t be grinding down if I ever want to go back to a stock configuration, so have resigned to just using the cubby/hvac piece included in the metra kit I referenced above. I’ll post with what I find after I get to installing it all.

Old 10-28-2019, 04:25 PM
BMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone know how to disable the parking brake signal on the stereo? I tried running it to ground with no success. Thanks

Old 10-28-2019, 04:34 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Anyone know how to disable the parking brake signal on the stereo? I tried running it to ground with no success. Thanks
This will lead you to a nasty chicken and egg situation... If you are now using an advanced head unit with GPS (as I did), if you disable the parking signal, your head unit will report another error when you start moving because it says the brake is on but you are now traveling at 35 mph.So, you will get past the first error and run right into another.

All this to say that the best solution is simply to wire it up as the head unit dictates to avoid all the potential error messages.

Old 10-28-2019, 04:43 PM
BMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Slider
This will lead you to a nasty chicken and egg situation... If you are now using an advanced head unit with GPS (as I did), if you disable the parking signal, your head unit will report another error when you start moving because it says the brake is on but you are now traveling at 35 mph.So, you will get past the first error and run right into another.

All this to say that the best solution is simply to wire it up as the head unit dictates to avoid all the potential error messages.
Sadly I was afraid it was going to come to that. Yea it's a double din aftermarket Alpine unit. Which wire is it? I suppose the center section around the parking brake needs to be removed? UGH. Thanks

Old 10-28-2019, 05:18 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Yes, it's really not very complicated. Just remove the screws holding the console down and there is a wire right at the parking brake. I just checked all the pictures I took when changing head units and speakers and I don't have a single picture of the console removed.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:51 AM
Interestingly, this does not work once tapped into the line. My brake light on the dash is no longer illuminating either (even after removing the stereo line connection) and no fuse blows that I can find.

Also intriguing is if I ground it, the ground only works if i disconnect it and reconnect it after key on. If I leave it grounded it wont work if I turn key off then back on. Damn electrical gremlins....any thoughts?

Old 10-30-2019, 07:59 AM
kamlung is a name known to allkamlung is a name known to allkamlung is a name known to allkamlung is a name known to allkamlung is a name known to allkamlung is a name known to all
Also intriguing is if I ground it, the ground only works if i disconnect it and reconnect it after key on. If I leave it grounded it wont work if I turn key off then back on. Damn electrical gremlins....any thoughts?
you need to ground it on a switch... so you can manually flick it on and off to fool the ground check...

what model alpine is it, they may already sell a bypass switch on amazon for it...

Last edited by kamlung; 10-30-2019 at 08:07 AM.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by kamlung
you need to ground it on a switch... so you can manually flick it on and off to fool the ground check...

what model alpine is it, they may already sell a bypass switch on amazon for it...
Yea, the switch is the work around, only need it to program the unit otherwise everything else works. I hate to have to do that though.

Alpine iLX-W650

Old 10-30-2019, 10:14 AM
kamlung is a name known to allkamlung is a name known to allkamlung is a name known to allkamlung is a name known to allkamlung is a name known to allkamlung is a name known to all
that is a very nice unit, i'm looking at it for my car as well but can't drop the coin just yet until i address other stuff on the car first... i like the shallow mount design and the option for the rear mounted amp behind it... keeps everything nice and compact...

here you go bud... $15

Amazon Amazon

Old 10-30-2019, 12:52 PM
that is a very nice unit, i'm looking at it for my car as well but can't drop the coin just yet until i address other stuff on the car first... i like the shallow mount design and the option for the rear mounted amp behind it... keeps everything nice and compact...

here you go bud... $15

https://www.amazon.com/MicroBypass-P.../dp/B006FKAHFM
Cool, thx for the link.
Yea one of the selling points for me was the shallow design, all wires, adapters, etc fit nicely behind the unit. Def recommend this one.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:23 PM
did you end up keeping the factory amp?

Old 10-30-2019, 07:58 PM
did you end up keeping the factory amp?
Yep, it works fine. You need the Seicane adapter w Bose amp and speakers. I also added front and rear camera and noise suppressor.