996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

track brake setup on a budget

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 06:46 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
track brake setup on a budget

I have been running stock 996tt cross drilled rotors with high temp fluid and Cool Carbon pads. They are great for aggressive street and some track, but have found as others have that this is not a good setup for hard tracking. I'm getting ~2track days (2.5hrs each) of track time on them before they need swap.

We were at Thunderhill on Monday and I ran out of pads. See Vids post:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2/240408-rain-shine-ls-re-11s-new-post.html

I'm looking to upgrade on a budget and looking at a 330mm slotted one-piece option from HRG or the 350mm 997 drilled rotors. Then for pads was looking at Pagid Yellow 29 or a PFC variant.

Are there other options (all 4 wheels for ~$2k) I should consider?

Have searched, but looking for recent feedback. Thanks much!

Last edited by Etchhead; 10-24-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:00 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Mark. First, brakes are the last place you want to cut corners, along with tires. For safety reasons.

1) you have front brake ducs? 25 for the pair
2) rear brake ducs? 60 for the pair

3) use rbf brake fluid or castrol
4)I would purchase pfc01 for the rear. 400 for the pads but they should last sometime. I had the pagod blacks and they lasted 2.5 years. Good pad but the pfc01 is awesome. I just put them on a few weeks back.
5) I use the 997t rear rotors. I made brackets to space out the rear caliper to accommodate for this. Gives more break bias. 400
6) 6 pots up front, i use the cayenne rotors. 220 shipped for the pair. They are solids.last longer
7)you have to get race pads for the front-pagid rs19 or pfc01.
They cost the same- 550 for the fronts.
No way around it. Find which one you like.

It's a good 1900 usd well spent. Do it over the weekend and 0$ on labor

Old 10-24-2012, 09:01 PM
Another P has a spectacular aura aboutAnother P has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
Mark. First, brakes are the last place you want to cut corners, along with tires. For safety reasons.

1) you have front brake ducs? 25 for the pair
2) rear brake ducs? 60 for the pair

3) use rbf brake fluid or castrol
4)I would purchase pfc01 for the rear. 400 for the pads but they should last sometime. I had the pagod blacks and they lasted 2.5 years. Good pad but the pfc01 is awesome. I just put them on a few weeks back.
5) I use the 997t rear rotors. I made brackets to space out the rear caliper to accommodate for this. Gives more break bias. 400
6) 6 pots up front, i use the cayenne rotors. 220 shipped for the pair. They are solids.last longer
7)you have to get race pads for the front-pagid rs19 or pfc01.
They cost the same- 550 for the fronts.
No way around it. Find which one you like.

It's a good 1900 usd well spent. Do it over the weekend and 0$ on labor
Explain the brake ducs (ducts?) you address above, please. Curious...thanks.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:23 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting, 1900.00 including the 6 pots ? Can you PM your source ?

Old 10-24-2012, 09:50 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Another P
Explain the brake ducs (ducts?) you address above, please. Curious...thanks.
the 997 GT3/rs front brake ducs
the 997 t rear brake ducs

Originally Posted by JSBear
Interesting, 1900.00 including the 6 pots ? Can you PM your source ?
No, that is without the 6pots.

Contact Sonnen Porsche. They are about $1500 for the pair. You need longer bolts as well.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:52 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Already have the brake fluid and GT3 ducts front (search on eBay).

Would like more info on the 6-pot upgrade (source an pricing). I don't mind using 4pot still. There are some nice dimpled Sebro 330mm fixed rotors for $200/corner.

I like the PFC01 option. Have heard/read good things about them. What's a good source (pm if you need to).

Old 10-24-2012, 10:50 PM
http://www.gmpperformance.com/index....ail&PID=186024

It's less than 600 ship for front/rear for all 4 corners. Start off there

You don't need 6pots unless you are doing long endurance racing (longer than 45 mins)

Old 10-24-2012, 10:55 PM
Mark, you should really work on some aero, I noticed the biggest difference gained at the track with aero. Ask Daren to get you a set of cf front fender air guides. I did some similar to his wow what a difference !!!!!

The front splitter, the front fender air guides have been top mods list.
I'm working on rear qrt panel air guides and a gurney flap for the stock wing,
Then I can finally say I'm done w this car and a new car project starts

Last edited by f1crazydriver; 10-24-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:00 AM
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
Mark, you should really work on some aero, I noticed the biggest difference gained at the track with aero. Ask Daren to get you a set of cf front fender air guides. I did some similar to his wow what a difference !!!!!

The front splitter, the front fender air guides have been top mods list.
I'm working on rear qrt panel air guides and a gurney flap for the stock wing,
Then I can finally say I'm done w this car and a new car project starts
Thanks Enrique-
Yah Vid and I were just talking aero over the weekend especially after seeing his new rear setup. You'll have to check it out!

My front chin splitter is due for replacement. If I was interested in going with something like your setup is the TT or C4S the right one to start with- or other? Interested in your idea in rear wing.

Are you making the fender guides? Maybe you need to make a go-fast kit for us want-to-be track stars.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by Etchhead
Thanks Enrique-
Yah Vid and I were just talking aero over the weekend especially after seeing his new rear setup. You'll have to check it out!

My front chin splitter is due for replacement. If I was interested in going with something like your setup is the TT or C4S the right one to start with- or other? Interested in your idea in rear wing.

Are you making the fender guides? Maybe you need to make a go-fast kit for us want-to-be track stars.
I have the Aero front chin spoiler with my front splitter. I only made 10 front splitters, all of them are sold. I don't have in mind making anymore. I do have a company that wants to make them for me out of CF but its some pretty good $$ with a MQO.

The fender guides, I can make some. I have enough CF left over. Ask Daren if he can give you his old ones, and I can just help how to install them without drilling into the bumper like Daren did. That would be the cheapest course of action.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:22 PM
PFC01 & Sebros ordered up. Will see about having my calipers stripped and repainted at the same time. They are not the prettiest right now.

Will take some before/after pics. Either way will have much better stopping performance hopefully out next track day at Sears Point mid Nov.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:01 AM
timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !
very informative thread thanks

Old 10-28-2012, 08:42 AM
Fallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud of
I use the StopTech Trophy Series and they are Awesome, Racing quality brakes! I wanted a $ 2K budget, but was talked into these by taking a ride at Willow Springs in a car that had them. They are really that good.... Eyeballs out of your head good....

Initially, I spent more, but will never regret that and never need to upgrade later.

My recommendation is StopTech!

Old 10-28-2012, 03:04 PM
hollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura about
I used 350 mm ft and rear Girodisc 2pc slotted on all four and kept my stock calipers but ran yellow Pagid RS29 in front and Blacks in rear. I did not upgrade my ducting but do use the Motul high temp fluid.

Only for the reason to bring some what of a balance to an after market rear spoiler which is larger than stock, I got the oem aero lip up front which seems to direct air in a more aggressive tunnel to the front brakes but I have no proof of this.

The above set up was est $2,000 for four corners of rotors and another $500-600 for pads. I did my own labor so saved a bit there.

I have zero complaints on the set up and it has been very confidence inspiring at TWS(texas world speedway) coming off a 145-155 mph straight into an 80-90 mph sweeper turn 1.

Good Luck.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:25 AM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
EH: Don't forget about the fluid. I'm currently running Endless RF-650 Racing Fluid and have been quite happy with it even as things begin to really hot. I haven't experienced any fade or squishiness in the pedal toward the end of any sessions yet this year.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: track brake setup on a budget