996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

My New to Me Turbo.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 07:42 AM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
My New to Me Turbo.

I had been wanting a 996 for a while but didn't really think of the Turbo as being attainable since I wanted to keep my previous C5z. I decided to sell the Z06 and keep just one decent car around and decided the 996 Turbo was going to be the goal and I wanted it before I was 30.

I bought my car a little sooner than I was planning but it all worked out so I couldn't pass it up. I found the car on Craigslist at the beginning of September. It turned out the car was owned my forum member TweakitTT. I checked out the car and it was just what I was looking for. The right color, maintenance was up to date, it had a couple mods I wanted to do anyway, the previous owner was the type of PO I wanted to buy from, and the car was only 10 miles away when I was expecting to have to travel across the country to find the right car/right price.

So, I finally had it in my possession about a week and a half ago after a repair was completed on the transmission. End result: I'm very happy with the car and go out to the garage several times a day just to look at it, I was able to get the car before I turned 30 (I'm 28), and TweakitTT was a stand up dude who I wouldn't hesitated buying a car from again.

First thing I did was take the circular and orbital polishers to it and took care of some normal swirls and some bird dropping etchings. I took some pics along with my friends C6z so I'll throw in a couple comparison pics I took.

996tt Front brake

C6Z Front brake

996tt Rear brake

C6Z Rear brake

Z06 rear tire

Turbo rear tire and a shot of the intercooler.

Turbo rear scoop

Z06 rear and front scoops

Old 10-29-2012, 08:22 AM
leftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome - congrats!

Old 10-29-2012, 08:24 AM
BlackSwan is just really niceBlackSwan is just really niceBlackSwan is just really niceBlackSwan is just really nice
Beautiful car! And your first modification will be....?!

Old 10-29-2012, 08:25 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Good for you ! Congrats..
Enjoy but never bulid the Vette to be faster then the Turbo..LOL

Old 10-29-2012, 08:29 AM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by leftlane
Awesome - congrats!
Originally Posted by BlackSwan
Beautiful car! And your first modification will be....?!
Thanks, guys.

I'm trying hard not to modify it any further. It currently has an EPL flash, Clutchmasters Stage 2 clutch, GT2 clutch conversion, and secondary cats removed.

If I do go through with mods I am thinking just an exhaust with 100 cell cats, 997.2 intercoolers, and a GT2 wing to get rid of the troublesome rams on the stock Turbo wing.

Actually, first will be to get some Pilot Super Sports for the 19's he included with the car. I don't feel comfortable pushing the car in the twisties with the Hankook Ventus V12's on there now.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by johnspeed
Good for you ! Congrats..
Enjoy but never bulid the Vette to be faster then the Turbo..LOL
That Z06 in the pics is actually my friends. That is stock and he is wanting to keep it that way. We are thinking how they stand now in the 1/4 his car will probably trap a few mph faster but we may post similar times depending on launch.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:33 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sinKing
Thanks, guys.

I'm trying hard not to modify it any further. It currently has an EPL flash, Clutchmasters Stage 2 clutch, GT2 clutch conversion, and secondary cats removed.

If I do go through with mods I am thinking just an exhaust with 100 cell cats, 997.2 intercoolers, and a GT2 wing to get rid of the troublesome rams on the stock Turbo wing.

Actually, first will be to get some Pilot Super Sports for the 19's he included with the car. I don't feel comfortable pushing the car in the twisties with the Hankook Ventus V12's on there now.
I would definitely do an exhaust or at least do the HP mod on the stock one.. I wouldnt be concerned about inercoolers at your level..

Old 10-29-2012, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by johnspeed
I would definitely do an exhaust or at least do the HP mod on the stock one.. I wouldnt be concerned about inercoolers at your level..
I figured it was debatable whether the IC's were a worthwhile mod for me.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:42 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Congrats on the purchase !! The 996 Turbo is truly an amazing car.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:55 AM
yjm308 will become famous soon enoughyjm308 will become famous soon enough
Congrats. Beautiful car. I just purchased my first Prosche Turbo. Enjoy it.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:25 AM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
Looks great! Congrats and enjoy!!

Old 10-29-2012, 09:58 AM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
Great find! Enjoy and be safe!

Old 10-29-2012, 10:02 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats! Awesome car! My goal was before 40, which I beat by many years . Sometimes you gotta ****** a deal when you see one

Old 10-30-2012, 07:57 PM
Another P has a spectacular aura aboutAnother P has a spectacular aura about
Imagination, or is it lowered, too?
Beautiful.....congrats. Life is good, eh?

Old 10-30-2012, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by Another P
Imagination, or is it lowered, too?
Beautiful.....congrats. Life is good, eh?
Yup, it is lowered on H&R's. I also forgot to mention it has a SSK. Not the slickest shifter but it has a precise mechanical feel that I love.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My New to Me Turbo.