996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

997 Turbo Wheels on 996 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 02:52 PM
WiscoBandit is on a distinguished road
997 Turbo Wheels on 996 Turbo

Hey Guys,

I've searched the forum for my answer on this, but there seems to be conflicting results.

1st: Will these wheels fit on my car? 2001 996TT. Please note: They list two size rear tires. Which one should fit?

2nd: Do you guys think the "replicas" are a bad idea? If so, please let me know why.

3rd: If I did buy these wheels, what size tire should I purchase?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/19-PORSCHE-9...3a7105&vxp=mtr

Thanks,

WiscoBandit

Old 11-11-2012, 04:39 PM
ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !
Here are my two cents as I do have 997TT wheels on my car:

1. Will they “fit” as in bolt up – Yes. However, the offset on these replicas appear different than stock Porsche rims, which is 56 front and 51 rear. I see where they have the offsets listed two completely different ways in the ad. However, I only see the rear tires as 275/30, which will not work well together with 235/35 fronts as it will chew your front AWD differential. So, with this purchase you will have to buy at least two different tires. I have never heard of Achilles and that scares me! Don’t put off-brand crappy tires on your TT! You will regret it.

2. IMHO I would never install replica Porsche wheels on my TT. I think it’s just cheesy. Also, with these, you have no idea who made them or the manufacturing process, or even if they are forged???

3. 235/35 fronts work well with 315/25 rears. The key is to get as close as possible in revs per mile.

Good luck with your search!

Old 11-11-2012, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by ASLAN
Here are my two cents as I do have 997TT wheels on my car:

1. Will they “fit” as in bolt up – Yes. However, the offset on these replicas appear different than stock Porsche rims, which is 56 front and 51 rear. I see where they have the offsets listed two completely different ways in the ad. However, I only see the rear tires as 275/30, which will not work well together with 235/35 fronts as it will chew your front AWD differential. So, with this purchase you will have to buy at least two different tires. I have never heard of Achilles and that scares me! Don’t put off-brand crappy tires on your TT! You will regret it.

2. IMHO I would never install replica Porsche wheels on my TT. I think it’s just cheesy. Also, with these, you have no idea who made them or the manufacturing process, or even if they are forged???

3. 235/35 fronts work well with 315/25 rears. The key is to get as close as possible in revs per mile.

Good luck with your search!
Thanks much for your input. I actually sent the wrong link. The wheels that I was looking at didn't have tires at all. I completely agree, I won't be putting cheap tires on, as it's just flat out dangerous.

That said, taking into consideration that I will be buying 4 new tires, what tire configuration would you recommend?

I'll likely go with factory rims as well. I see so many pairs out there at say "OEM". I would hate to purchase a pair at OEM price, only to receive them and they are the replicas.

Thanks,

WiscoBandit

Old 11-12-2012, 06:28 AM
ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !
I like the PS2's and run 315/25 rear with 235/35 fronts. However, the rear sizes have been hard to find lately. I also have a set of chromed genuine Porsche 997TT wheels for sale. PM if you have any interest.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:13 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WiscoBandit
I'll likely go with factory rims as well. I see so many pairs out there at say "OEM". I would hate to purchase a pair at OEM price, only to receive them and they are the replicas.

Thanks,

WiscoBandit
The term "OEM" is virtually useless these days.

It used to mean "same as OE, just made by the OEM but without the OE brand label"

Now it has been twisted to mean anything...people here and on ebay call "OEM" the original Porsche items (which SHOULD be called OE)...also sellers will say 'any company that ever made a wheel used in an OE car is and OEM, therefore ALL copies, imitations, (or so called 'replicas') can then be called "OEM wheels".

Useless label.

A

Old 11-12-2012, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by ard
The term "OEM" is virtually useless these days.

It used to mean "same as OE, just made by the OEM but without the OE brand label"

Now it has been twisted to mean anything...people here and on ebay call "OEM" the original Porsche items (which SHOULD be called OE)...also sellers will say 'any company that ever made a wheel used in an OE car is and OEM, therefore ALL copies, imitations, (or so called 'replicas') can then be called "OEM wheels".

Useless label.

A
Completely agree!

Old 11-14-2012, 06:39 AM
olwe is a glorious beacon of lightolwe is a glorious beacon of lightolwe is a glorious beacon of lightolwe is a glorious beacon of lightolwe is a glorious beacon of light
Tire availability

I have also considered 997TT OEM wheels for my 996TT, which is lowered about 1 1/2". Offsets and clearances look ok. However, Aslan says above that 315/25-19 and 235/35-19 are scarce. That is no exaggeration. I checked, and Tire Rack has nothing. Do you have any other recommendations for tire sizes? I am concerned with keeping the diameter the same, and with clearance as the car is low. Right now I am thinking of staying I'll have to stay18's.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:39 AM
Guys, check out this thread:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...05-30-19s.html

Looks like it may be a viable option.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:43 AM
Ok, so I went with factory OE wheels that were taken off of a 2010 997 Turbo. Do you guys know if I will need spacers and / or different lug bolts?

Old 11-21-2012, 08:47 AM
don johnson will become famous soon enoughdon johnson will become famous soon enough
I just went through this as I had my outer 3 piece wheel beads go bad and the place i went to put some temporary takeoff 997 Turbo wheels and tires on my 996 while the outers were replaced on my wheels. They fit perfectly with spacers and they used different lug nuts.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by don johnson
I just went through this as I had my outer 3 piece wheel beads go bad and the place i went to put some temporary takeoff 997 Turbo wheels and tires on my 996 while the outers were replaced on my wheels. They fit perfectly with spacers and they used different lug nuts.
Can you please give me some more detailed info? Such as what size spacers? What size lug bolts?

Thanks,

Michael

Old 11-21-2012, 09:19 AM
don johnson will become famous soon enoughdon johnson will become famous soon enough
I cannot as I did not pay attention. Give Verg a call at Grand Prix tires/wheel I am sure he can give you the details. 877-847-3711

Old 11-21-2012, 10:07 AM
olwe is a glorious beacon of lightolwe is a glorious beacon of lightolwe is a glorious beacon of lightolwe is a glorious beacon of lightolwe is a glorious beacon of light
Michael,

Can you pls post the details once it is finalized?

Ola

Old 11-21-2012, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by WiscoBandit
Can you please give me some more detailed info? Such as what size spacers? What size lug bolts?

Thanks,

Michael
Spacers are mostly a looks thing, but also make a difference as to whether you will rub your tires or not depending on your offsets (so they may become a requirement). Lugs are much easier. If you add spacers you have to extend your lug bolts by the same mm. ie: stock lug bolts are 30mm, so adding a 15mm spacer entails changing to a 45mm bolt (I run 46's). Some add 3mm spacers without extending lugs. I have also heard some run 7mm spacers without extending bolts, which IMHO is just asking for trouble. Here is a good website with an offset calculator. Good luck!

http://www.1010tires.com/About/Tools...set-Calculator

Bo