996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Updated inlet or y pipe system

Old 02-16-2013, 08:58 PM
pat
pat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond repute
Updated inlet or y pipe system

I was going to upgrade the intake runners but it looks like it is a fair amount of work to install. It looks like a Y pipe system is easier to install and makes more power.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:19 AM
timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !
do both the inlet pipe work needs to be of a soft type aka 911 tuning style

3'' y pipe looks good and works well with ipd's etc. I have had good results with mine.

think the inlets make more power but I have not done yet so cant comment

Last edited by timccloud; 02-17-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:48 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pat
I was going to upgrade the intake runners but it looks like it is a fair amount of work to install. It looks like a Y pipe system is easier to install and makes more power.
HI,It all depends on your level of mods to get any noticeable benifits....Many threads/posts on those if you do a search.
A 2.5'' Y pipe is a better choice over a 3'' one,as many make big HP with a 2.5''.
Some like the soft inlet pipes for ease of install while others like hard pipes for safety and flow reasons..
Good Luck..

Old 02-17-2013, 09:23 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pat
I It looks like a Y pipe system is easier to install and makes more power.
Not really...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 02-17-2013, 10:09 AM
pat
pat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond repute
It looks like the y pipe is the easiest to install

http://911tuning.com/996-Turbo/Intake-Ypipe-c-65.html

Old 02-17-2013, 11:42 AM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
Does anyone have solid before and after dyno's (or mph increase through 1/4 / 60-130)with out any other mods for either.

John I remember you tested these and didn't see any increase, but as I look at your sig I see you have EVO inlet pipes.

Did you test these and see a measurable increase of 400rpm decrease of spool and 40RWHP increase like some of these inlet pipe sellers claim?

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba

Old 02-17-2013, 01:15 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Some y-pipe food for though:

Chris Green ran 147mph in the 1/4 mile with the stock y-pipe through old school K24/18gs.

Aftermarket y-pipes have been around for 10 years, yet apparently no one has done a simple flow bench test vs the stocker to show you exactly the "restriction" the new part is removing.

IMHO, this is a bling mod on a sub-900hp car and I too would love to see a conclusive before and after.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:34 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bobbyfali
Does anyone have solid before and after dyno's (or mph increase through 1/4 / 60-130)with out any other mods for either.

John I remember you tested these and didn't see any increase, but as I look at your sig I see you have EVO inlet pipes.

Did you test these and see a measurable increase of 400rpm decrease of spool and 40RWHP increase like some of these inlet pipe sellers claim?

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba
I never saw anywhere close to those gains at my K24/18g level at 1.3 bars then.
Didn't even feel a seat of the pants improvement, as a few others have been honest to post on here also.
Also Todd, Protomotive, modified my stock Y-pipe to match my 74mm TB. EVO does that mod also.. And why,?
Just to be fair, every ones combo is different and results may vary.. LOL

Old 02-17-2013, 02:20 PM
SSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond repute
Still don't see why ppl are "upgrading" to inlet pipes when you can tune the MAF out of the equation and run short intakes off the turbos. By the time you buy the pipes and pay for labor mafless would be cheaper. More power, better throttle response, no more blown MAfs..

Old 02-17-2013, 02:28 PM
[QUOTE=SSMugen;37714, 73]Still don't see why ppl are "upgrading" to inlet pipes when you can tune the MAF out of the equation and run short intakes off the turbos. By the time you buy the pipes and pay for labor mafless would be cheaper. More power, better throttle response, no more blown MAfs..[/QUOTE

I know one reason is, if someone still has an extended warranty as I do , it would be way noticeable if the the inspector saw that mod to know the car was not stock. It's kind of a in your face mod that sticks out.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:32 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SSMugen
Still don't see why ppl are "upgrading" to inlet pipes when you can tune the MAF out of the equation and run short intakes off the turbos. By the time you buy the pipes and pay for labor mafless would be cheaper. More power, better throttle response, no more blown MAfs..
Here is my reason why:

I tried them and from my direct experience, the alternate MAF's change the driving characteristics/behavior of the fuel delivery and smoothness of the car. IMO, Porsche has it best with the OEM Bosch MAF. I have used both methods on my own car and it depends how much you want to modify your car and how much change from OEM feel you can be happy with - I prefer the smooth OEM throttle feel vs. the more abrupt feel of some of the other MAF's. Not everyone feels this way, but I know many others that do...it's a commitment for sure. As for "more power", that was not my experience either. Better throttle response is subjective, if you like more of an "on-off" feel, then I would say yes it's better, but if you like to be able to give the car a tiny amount of fuel, like in a very slow speed parking lot scenario, I find the other MAF's a little to jerky for me. Like I said, it all depends what you want from the car, but the fender well intakes are not for everybody. Which is why I designed our Hi-Flow plenum with large diameter hard piping and matching IC's/Y-Pipe - to mimick the flow of a fender well system, while retaining OEM type driving characteristics.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 02-17-2013, 08:11 PM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by earl3
Some y-pipe food for though:

Chris Green ran 147mph in the 1/4 mile with the stock y-pipe through old school K24/18gs.

Aftermarket y-pipes have been around for 10 years, yet apparently no one has done a simple flow bench test vs the stocker to show you exactly the "restriction" the new part is removing.

IMHO, this is a bling mod on a sub-900hp car and I too would love to see a conclusive before and after.

How is that possible to run 147mph on any type of 18g's or new billets!!!! That over 900bhp, the 18g's can't flow that, unless the car is making 750bhp and weighs under 2500lbs.

Is there a thread I can read up on this persons car. If he is running that MPH out of those turbos, there is a lot I can learn off his build!

Please forward me more info on his car!

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba

Last edited by Bobbyfali; 02-18-2013 at 12:45 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:23 PM
SSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond repute
Since people have been doing the MAFless/Alpha N tune for years its possible you had experience with an earlier tune that might not have had the bugs worked out.

My friend Josh who bought Bmoores car had Todd (protomotive) retune the car to run without a MAF about 2 months ago. The car now has no hesitation off the line and runs much smoother throughout. It is a fact that the MAF is a weak link so eliminating this is only a plus for any upgrade.

It is a fact that the MAFless tunes now are running flawless on many cars with no check engine lights. There are some people with mixed opinions like yourself but I can only assume they are opinions based off of older versions of the Alpha N/MAFless. You said you did not like the MAFless tune so you created the hard pipe inlets as a compromise... You have been selling them quite a long time and only recently did Todd (protomotive) tell me he got all the bugs out of the MAFless tune so perhaps your opinion is based off an old version of the MAFless tune.

The problem is the flow of the looonnnng tubes sucking from around the entire motor is not efficient. Essentially its like breathing through a 5 foot straw to get air vs. a very short straw. You can imagine the increase in throttle response right away. Um... throttle response a negative? its undriveable in a parking lot? c'mon...

I can understand you might not want a product like the MAFless tune to become popular since it would quickly outdate your long intake tubes while costing less. The installation cost of the tubes are quite horrendous.

Really for anyone looking to upgrade to intake pipes/tubes whatever... the alternative is:
- MAFless tune
- Intake pipes off the turbo

This would essentially give u better HP gains and keep the entire engine stock.

I'm just sharing info so new members reading this can know all the options out there. I am getting ready to do the MAFless tune, 3" Y-Pipe from IPD, EVOMS Intercoolers and short pipes off the turbos but for the moment my car is running Markski's bendable turbo inlets. Simply because the install is a lot easier w/o having to make hard pipes fit in tight spaces.

http://911tuning.com/996-Turbo/Intak...ing-p-124.html

Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
Here is my reason why:

I tried them and from my direct experience, the alternate MAF's change the driving characteristics/behavior of the fuel delivery and smoothness of the car. IMO, Porsche has it best with the OEM Bosch MAF. I have used both methods on my own car and it depends how much you want to modify your car and how much change from OEM feel you can be happy with - I prefer the smooth OEM throttle feel vs. the more abrupt feel of some of the other MAF's. Not everyone feels this way, but I know many others that do...it's a commitment for sure. As for "more power", that was not my experience either. Better throttle response is subjective, if you like more of an "on-off" feel, then I would say yes it's better, but if you like to be able to give the car a tiny amount of fuel, like in a very slow speed parking lot scenario, I find the other MAF's a little to jerky for me. Like I said, it all depends what you want from the car, but the fender well intakes are not for everybody. Which is why I designed our Hi-Flow plenum with large diameter hard piping and matching IC's/Y-Pipe - to mimick the flow of a fender well system, while retaining OEM type driving characteristics.

Last edited by SSMugen; 02-17-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:25 PM
Have you seen a car w/ the inlet pipes on them? You can clearly see the plenum when you look next to the fuel filter ... If you are concerned with the dealership seeing the pipes you might want to go with the pipes that attach to the stock restrictive plenum.

Originally Posted by johnspeed
I know one reason is, if someone still has an extended warranty as I do , it would be way noticeable if the the inspector saw that mod to know the car was not stock. It's kind of a in your face mod that sticks out.

Last edited by SSMugen; 02-17-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:30 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SSMugen
Since people have been doing the MAFless/Alpha N tune for years its possible you had experience with an earlier tune that might not have had the bugs worked out.

My friend Josh who bought Bmoores car had Todd (protomotive) retune the car to run without a MAF about 2 months ago. The car now has no hesitation off the line and runs much smoother throughout. It is a fact that the MAF is a weak link so eliminating this is only a plus for any upgrade.

It is a fact that the MAFless tunes now are running flawless on many cars with no check engine lights. There are some people with mixed opinions like yourself but I can only assume they are opinions based off of older versions of the Alpha N/MAFless. You said you did not like the MAFless tune so you created the hard pipe inlets as a compromise... You have been selling them quite a long time and only recently did Todd (protomotive) tell me he got all the bugs out of the MAFless tune so perhaps your opinion is based off an old version of the MAFless tune.

The problem is the flow of the looonnnng tubes sucking from around the entire motor is not efficient. Essentially its like breathing through a 5 foot straw to get air vs. a very short straw. You can imagine the increase in throttle response right away. Um... throttle response a negative? its undriveable in a parking lot? c'mon...

I can understand you might not want a product like the MAFless tune to become popular since it would quickly outdate your long intake tubes while costing less. The installation cost of the tubes are quite horrendous.

Really for anyone looking to upgrade to intake pipes/tubes whatever... the alternative is:
- MAFless tune
- Intake pipes off the turbo

This would essentially give u better HP gains and keep the entire engine stock.

I'm just sharing info so new members reading this can know all the options out there. I am getting ready to do the MAFless tune, 3" Y-Pipe from IPD, EVOMS Intercoolers and short pipes off the turbos but for the moment my car is running Markski's bendable turbo inlets. Simply because the install is a lot easier w/o having to make hard pipes fit in tight spaces.

http://911tuning.com/996-Turbo/Intak...ing-p-124.html
It would only make sense that the tune has been improved over time, but going back to conventional intake configuration was not a compromise at all for me, it was an improvement - we made more power and my car ran better with the enlarged plenum, 2.5" IC end tanks and 2.5 x 75mm Y-pipe, etc.

Also, I never said it was "undrivable" in a parking lot, I said it was a little jumpy or "on-off" compared to OEM and I did not care for that characteristic - it was taking a car with perfect driving manners in all conditions and compromising it in certain situations. Proto, who supplied the kit, agreed with me. On hard driving it was not noticable, but when I wanted finese, it was not possible...but like you said, it was a while ago and it would stand to reason improvements would be made by now.

I don't really care if the fender intakes become popular or not, I am just pointing out that my experience with them was not everything it was cracked up to be and personally I was much happier with a conventional intake. Anyone considering doing a fender intake should research it well before hand. I did not know I would have to hack the intercooler brackets, remove the engine fan for clearance, grind the oil filler spout a bit for room - perhaps some of these aspects have been eliminated by now, but I did not care for the whole experience and have been extremely pleased since developing my own Hi-Flow OEM style intake solution.

As for cost, they both cost a fair amount of money by the time you are done with installation - for me it was never about cost, but about the car being right. I did what I had to do to satisfy my goals for my car.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Updated inlet or y pipe system