996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Thanks to 911 Tuning, Layinback, Sambo - it's finally on the road again!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 08:42 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Thanks to 911 Tuning, Layinback, Sambo - it's finally on the road again!

Made the decision to do an upgrade a few months back, wanted a quick spooling turbo with lots of potential, I chose the A28 and began the upgrade process.

I decided to do all the work myself to cut down costs, it was a pain in the ***, and with temperatures above 110 degrees, in my garage, with no a/c, it sucked a lot, but I'm glad it's up and running.

I wanted to say thanks to Markski at 911 Tuning who did and continues to answer questions, take care of the tune, offer me great prices on his products. I've text'd this guy probably 1000 times in the last two months, no joke, and he always responds quickly. The level of customer service he has provided has simply astonished me. I've dealt with a handful of 'tuners' - good luck getting them on the phone and no way in hell you'll get a number to text message. This is not a plug for his business, but it should be. His customer service speaks wonders.

Also wanted to thank Layinback (Randy) for all of the great parts and great prices that came along with them. I think I took half of his car when he decided to upgrade. I wouldn't have been able to get this done without his generosity. Countless hours on the phone talking about options, upgrades, whatever the hell... he's a good guy and always up for a conversation to talk about cars, midgets in latex, how he got drunk that one night and woke up with his pants around his ankles and swears he didn't remember....

Sambo has also been available when I needed a quick answer or some additional parts. Furthermore, he picked up some parts from another board member he worked out a deal with and sold them to me at an even greater discount (who does this?!), he saved me a lot of cash as well. Another member who goes above and beyond to help others out, this is unheard of with most shops/distributors, it's been a pleasure. I plan to make a trip out there soon and put a face to the name!

And finally, the 6so board has been a great source of reference for me and this project. Having been a member of several other forums, I can say beyond a doubt, that this board also has some of the most generous and friendly members I've ever had the pleasure of doing business with (TimNYC, ProdigyMb, Steve, Dgreen to name a few). I've reached out many who have had more years on this platform than I have, many of which have given me their time even when it was of no benefit to them, to that I am truly grateful.

Hopefully I'll have her on the dyno in the next few weeks. I still have some business to settle, but the car is doing great, even in this 115 degree weather!

Drive Safe!

-Darren

Old 07-07-2013, 09:02 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
glad to see your having fun with the car! take some pics of the monster build!

Old 07-07-2013, 09:18 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
That's a great story about these members coming together to help a fellow member fulfill his project.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:20 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
glad to see your having fun with the car! take some pics of the monster build!
I'll get some new pics up, soon. Nothing crazy, you can't really tell the difference aside from the red forge boost hoses.

Complete list of things done was as follows:

-Tial Alpha A28 Turbos
-60# Injectors
-Forge Boost Hoses
-911 Tuning 4.5" Intercoolers
-911 Flexible Inlet Pipes
-911 Tuning software
-Greddy Boost Controller
-Denso Double Platinum Plugs
-Replaced Coolant Expansion Tank
-Replaced Serpentine Belt

Going from a K16/24 hybrid to the Alphas there is a noticeable difference in performance. Most obvious, the torque. I am running 1.2 bar on 91, it was 104 degrees when I did all my data logging and it's not pulling any timing.

Running all the way to redline in 3rd, the car feels like it just wants to keep going and going and going.

Butt-dyno says I'm probably around 500-530ftlbs on 91 pump with roughly the same amount of horse power. Take that with a grain of salt... I'll get actual numbers in the near future.

Originally Posted by johnspeed
That's a great story about these members coming together to help a fellow member fulfill his project.
It really is, John. The amount of support and help I received from these guys was way more than I had expected. I figured I'd get some short answers along the road, this wasn't the case. I asked questions, I actually got answers and explanations.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:18 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Cheers Darren. You are a good guy who deserves it. I hope this kit ends up being what you wanted...I think it will!

Old 07-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
pictures and dynos or didnt happen jk

good to see that you have your new setup running. both alphas are really nice bolt-on options.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 07-08-2013, 01:33 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
A28s = fantastic. +2 for 911 tuning and Sambo - great guys!

Old 07-08-2013, 03:54 PM
vshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to behold
+2 for 911 tuning and Sambo - great guys

Markski done my tune file and the dashboard light (ABS+PSM) are gone ... with this tune file my car became a power beast ..

Thanks again for this great guys.....

Last edited by vshugo996; 07-08-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:24 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Part of the success is the fact that Darren installed everything himself and seems to be handy with tools. he did a pressure test ( otherwise I would yell at him) and the is up and running... no codes, no drama.. now just dial it in a little better and Im sure it will serve him well..
best
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 07-10-2013, 02:23 PM

Currently at 508hp/536ftlbs @ 1.2 bar on 91 on the initial tune.

Markski and I are working on it to dial it in further, maybe get another 5% power, safely.

This power was achieved after heat soaking the components to ensure the power would be consistent. Initial power showed 520hp, but settled at 508 after a few pulls.

Temperature was approximately 95-98 degrees with ~20% humidity.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:26 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Goods start. The logs you did the other day were at 1.15 bar peak mostly around 1.1 bar solid.
The timing is low for initial purposes since your on 91 oct
Markski

Old 07-10-2013, 09:47 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
There is room in her. Even on the 91 craptane. I like how you let it heat-soak for consistency. Most don't do this and the cars pull back quite a bit. Especially out there.

How does it feel on the road initial comparison?

Old 07-11-2013, 12:01 AM
Thank you stupid auto nation advertisement for getting in the way on the mobile page and wiping out the 4 paragraphs I just wrote...ugh

Summary:

-lower fears feel quicker
-additional hp
-longer torque curve (maintains torque a bit longer)
-respool is much faster
-turbos just sound sweet as hell when driving around

If I'm sitting at 4000 rpm and I punch it, they waste no time. They just wake the f up.

I can't complain... For 100 degree weather on 91 craptane, they do well. It's going to be a riot once we dial it in further. 550/550 is what I'm after. It will me much easier when it's in the 70's.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:46 AM
layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !
It's great to hear you enjoying the car! You're an easy guy to treat nice, Darren.

And yep, midgets in latex, Haitian transexuals and drunken blackouts where you

wake up naked with circus people.......just part of the game sometimes.