996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Rollbar Installation Tips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 06:37 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Question Roll bar Installation Tips ???

For those who have installed the tech equip roll bar, can you offer some tips???

Can I do it myself....One person???
Should I remove my seats to do this???
Does rear view mirror need to be removed to get it in the car???

Do I need compression straps to squeeze the bar legs in so they can meet with mounting points???

Basically, any steps to make this job easiest possible would be appreciated. In turn I will supply a detailed "How To" with pictures and captions similar to the way I did for the center console delete. Ken, any help??? Thanks.

Last edited by rockitman; 11-06-2003 at 07:06 AM.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:08 AM
JASCLASS will become famous soon enoughJASCLASS will become famous soon enough
Rockit, It is not a job for one person, you will need help, will probably take approx 4 hours, compression straps are needed, make sure then ends dont scratch anything.

Old 11-06-2003, 07:09 AM
I forgot to add the seats need to be removed, and I dont remember if the rear view has to also, the steering wheel can stay, its tight but it will fit in.

Old 11-06-2003, 07:10 AM
j993 is on a distinguished road
Installation tips

1) Can I do it myself....One person??? No. you need teo pepole. It took me and a helper app. 6 hours to install the tequipment bar- we were slow and methodical. To sum it up - it was a pain in the a**! The bars are not manufactured to aerospace tolerances and the alignment points were off just enough to really make the install a challenge.

2) Should I remove my seats to do this??? Yes, you must remove the front seats to do the install. I removed the rear seats as well.

3) Does rear view mirror need to be removed to get it in the car??? Yes.

4) Do I need compression straps to squeeze the bar legs in so they can meet with mounting points??? I did not need this device.

Jeff

'03 Turbo

Attached Images  
Old 11-06-2003, 07:28 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
4 -6 hours to put the roll bar in, line it up to mount points and screw in 4 bolts...What gives other that the time to remove and re-install the seats????

Why two people???

How does the mirror come off??? Just ripp it off, or can you unscrew the mirror itself and leave the mounting post on the windshield???

Old 11-06-2003, 09:15 AM
Why?

Because, as noted above, the bars seem to be manufactured with low tolerances. In my case, it took me about 1 hour to remove the f/r seats and mirror. It took another 5 or so hours just getting the bar in the car and secured to the mounting points. My bar must have been built after a Friday afternoon beer break because the mounting points were out of alignment - not by much - but enough to make it very, very difficult to get them lined up and fastened to the chassis. The second person came in handy to muscle the bar into place so I could get the bolts started. There is also a trim piece at the base of the rocker panel (where the bar mounts) that must be cut or otherwise modified so the lower bar mounting point is brought close enough to bolt into the chassis. It took me some time to figure out what to do here.

You need two people because the bar is large and cumbersome to handle. I suppose it can be done by one person but you risk damaging trim and paint IMHO.

My rear view mirror has the rain sensor integrated into it. I removed a type of circlip and the mirror then popped off its mounting point. I am not sure what type of mirror is in the GT-3 so removal may differ. I suggest you go to Renntech.org and pose the question. Loren is extremely helpful in providing users w/ detailed work instructions.

Good luck.

Jeff

'03 Turbo

Attached Images  
Old 11-06-2003, 09:28 AM
Thanks Jeff

Old 11-06-2003, 09:35 AM
No problem - Good Luck!

Jeff

Old 11-06-2003, 09:49 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Chris,
You have a PM.

Old 11-06-2003, 11:23 AM
toffeGT2 is on a distinguished road
Question mounting points are already predrilled?

I assume no drilling is necessary on the car when installing the techequip roll bar except some carpet cutting. Is all the mounting points are already predrilled?

Old 11-06-2003, 12:01 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
Mounting points are the same mounting holes for the front and rear seat belt attachment holes. No drilling needed. Do not cut the carpet, cut a section of the plastic inner liner under neath the carpet wider than the rollbar. Cut the plastic liner neatly so if you remove the roll bar all you need to do is replace the removed section with the cut out piece, the tension of the carpet will hold the section in place with some aluminum tape or other HD tape. Or you can just replace the liner, but is a major pain to install the liner. IMO, not worth it to replace the entire inner liner.

Old 11-06-2003, 12:21 PM
toffeGT2 is on a distinguished road
Thanks Oak

Old 11-06-2003, 12:30 PM
Rockit, I know its hard to imagine it taking so long but its very timely to get seats and etc out of the car, get the rollbar in all without scratching or harming the car and lining up the 4 points and getting it all screwed in and back togther, take your time its worth it in the long run.

Old 11-06-2003, 12:38 PM
996turbo will become famous soon enough
I love that look. I wish I could put one in my car, but I stll use the back seats every once in a while.

Old 11-06-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by JASCLASS
Rockit, I know its hard to imagine it taking so long but its very timely to get seats and etc out of the car, get the rollbar in all without scratching or harming the car and lining up the 4 points and getting it all screwed in and back togther, take your time its worth it in the long run.
There is no greater satisfaction than taking up modification challenges on your Porsche and experiencing the thrill of victory when the mod is complete. So far, no defeats!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rollbar Installation Tips