996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Are there any lightweight flywheels out there...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 09:05 AM
TXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud of
Are there any lightweight flywheels out there...

...That do NOT chatter?

I'm going to be doing a clutch swap soon, and I was also thinking of upgrading intercoolers at the same time. What I don't want is to add even more weight to the back of the car, so I thought that perhaps there is a flywheel option that is about 10-15 lbs less than stock, but still heavier than some of the other LWFW that are out there?

What are my choices?

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

PS I have had cars with a LWFW before. It's manageable, chatter wasn't THAT bad... but I don't want to go that extreme with this car. I want to maintain stock driveability, not gut the car for racing. It'll be an 18G, primarily daily driven car with an occasional track day.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:45 AM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
Nope. One of the points of a dual mass is to stop the noise and vibrations.

So unfortunately going to a LWFW will cause chatter but its not that bad in my ears just depends how sensitive yours are!

Old 01-04-2014, 09:59 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
There's the aluminum ones and a Porsche steel one that I have been told is suppose to be quieter then the aluminum ones ?

Old 01-04-2014, 10:10 AM
TXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud of
Is the steel one the 964 one?

Old 01-04-2014, 10:14 AM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
if youre interested, i think i still have an aasco flywheel (it weighs about 8/9 lbs)... much lighter than the OEM 964 lwfw

Old 01-04-2014, 10:31 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TXTurbo996
Is the steel one the 964 one?
Yes,,Kevin from UMW sells the whole kit

Old 01-04-2014, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by Steve K ny
if youre interested, i think i still have an aasco flywheel (it weighs about 8/9 lbs)... much lighter than the OEM 964 lwfw
That's precisely what I DON'T want... I would like to have an option to lose a little bit of weight from the drivetrain if I'm going to be adding 20lbs extra with some aftermarket intercoolers, but I don't want an ultra light flywheel.

Originally Posted by johnspeed
Yes,,Kevin from UMW sells the whole kit
Excellent, thanks for the info!

Old 01-04-2014, 11:13 AM
Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !
I have a gt3rs LWFW and its not bad. I don't know how picky you are though. I expect a "race car" to make noises. Its a little noise to me though.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:41 AM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
Old 01-04-2014, 02:10 PM
Ha! I live in TX, I don't the a/c is ever off!

Well, I've already purchased the Sachs 2.5, which should work with the stock flywheel and doesn't require any conversion. Sigh. I guess I could go with GT2RS intercoolers and not add any weight to the rear.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:48 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TXTurbo996
Ha! I live in TX, I don't the a/c is ever off! Well, I've already purchased the Sachs 2.5, which should work with the stock flywheel and doesn't require any conversion. Sigh. I guess I could go with GT2RS intercoolers and not add any weight to the rear.
GT2RS ICs are a great upgrade for a hot/humid place like Houston and easy install.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:10 PM
King James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond repute
Anybody with a LWFW have stalling issues when pushing the clutch in from high rpm 3k+? One of my previous cars I raced but also street drove had an ACT light weight steel flywheel, no chatter but the RPM fell so fast after a rev or pushing the clutch it was like the ECU couldn't catch it and the car would stall. I was never able to tune it out and had to just get used to driving and not pushing the clutch in at a stop sign until it was almost at idle. Not sure id want to live with that in a mostly street car.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by King James
Anybody with a LWFW have stalling issues when pushing the clutch in from high rpm 4k+? One of my previous cars I raced but also street drove had an ACT light weight steel flywheel, no chatter but the RPM fell so fast after a rev or pushing the clutch it was like the ECU couldn't catch it and the car would stall. I was never able to tune it out and had to just get used to driving and not pushing the clutch in at a stop sign until it was almost at idle. Not sure id want to live with that in a mostly street car.
I have this problem and it gets on my nerves!

Old 01-05-2014, 05:18 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by King James
Anybody with a LWFW have stalling issues when pushing the clutch in from high rpm 3k+? One of my previous cars I raced but also street drove had an ACT light weight steel flywheel, no chatter but the RPM fell so fast after a rev or pushing the clutch it was like the ECU couldn't catch it and the car would stall. I was never able to tune it out and had to just get used to driving and not pushing the clutch in at a stop sign until it was almost at idle. Not sure id want to live with that in a mostly street car.
Your tuner should give you a LWFW specific tune. Kevin at UMW, for example, has versions of his tunes for both a DMFW or a LWFW to prevent the stalling issue. I'd talk to Kevin if your tuner doesn't offer that.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:23 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
yes, your tuner should be able to take care of this.
when i had my 996, i had a UMW tune with their 964lwfw. the car only chattered when the a/c was on in the summer. probably the best street set up lwfw.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Are there any lightweight flywheels out there...