996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

DIY: MAF cleaning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 03:30 PM
Cordonaviation is a glorious beacon of lightCordonaviation is a glorious beacon of lightCordonaviation is a glorious beacon of lightCordonaviation is a glorious beacon of lightCordonaviation is a glorious beacon of lightCordonaviation is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks Ruiner great writeup Where do you get the socket/wrench at?

Old 10-04-2005, 04:03 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Originally posted by Bruce
Can the MAF be contaminated with oil and cause problems like Dock explained yet not cause any CEL issues.
I've never had any CEL issues.

Old 10-04-2005, 04:15 PM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by Cordonaviation
Sears has small security torx set w/ T20 in it.

Old 10-04-2005, 04:23 PM
Banned
StephenTi is on a distinguished road
Or, in the time that it'd take you to drive to Sears, you could just take out the airbox and spray/clean the MAF through the airbox opening... and clean out your air filter at the same time.

Old 10-04-2005, 04:57 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
I just bought stock in CRC QD Electronic Cleaner.

Advance Auto Parts and Napa carry it. Go buy it guys!!

Old 10-04-2005, 07:28 PM
Ruiner is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by Cordonaviation
Ace Hardware. $5 or so for a set of 8 attachments or something along those lines.

Old 10-05-2005, 09:07 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
I decided to try a cleaning on my MAF. In order to make sure my cleaner, which states it dries residue free is in fact so, I decided to try and clean/fix my original MAF that was replaced because of the much maligned PSM/ABS failure. I am getting a little bucking in the just-off-idle throttle position and am hoping a good soaking in electronic contact cleaner will fix things up.

I noticed that the wire of the replacement MAF is pretty bent up. I don't recall what it looked like when I first installed it a few months back. I've only started noticing the bucking in the past 6 weeks or so.

Attached Images  
Old 10-05-2005, 09:10 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Using a small glass like shown below worked perfectly for the soaking. (Don't show my wife this picture!)

Attached Images  
Old 10-05-2005, 09:21 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
So what were the results?

Old 10-05-2005, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Dock (Atlanta)
So what were the results?
It's still soaking. I'm going to take it out to dry now and will let you know how the old dirty MAF works tomorrow.

Old 10-05-2005, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Zippy
It's still soaking.
There's no question it will be clean if you're still soaking it. Not sure it needs to be submerged that long. I sprayed mine 4-5 times over a 20 minute period, then let it air dry.

It will be interesting to hear your results.

BTW, the wires on that new MAF sure look messed up.

Old 10-05-2005, 10:28 PM
joekimdds is on a distinguished road
just did mine...16k with k&n oil filter...i actually do feel a difference!!!! much, much smoother and no sputtering

Old 10-05-2005, 10:39 PM
Zippy, the ABS/PSM issue might end up being a voltage problem and not a contamination issue. I am just pointing that out ahead of time. This might fix it, however, but who knows...

Old 10-05-2005, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by joekimdds
just did mine...16k with k&n oil filter...i actually do feel a difference!!!! much, much smoother and no sputtering
Awesome! I am glad that it worked out for you.

Old 10-06-2005, 01:29 AM
I put in the original MAF that had been replaced do to MAF/PSM. I had the CEL's come on before I got out of the garage. I put the bent up MAF back in and went for a drive. Seemed to perform well, with a little stutering in just-off-idle. I think I'm pooched. Maybe I'll try and get the dealer to give me another MAF. I'm kinda thinking they must have bent it when they took out the Y-pipe to send to EVO for modding. Do I get the 986 MAF now?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY: MAF cleaning