996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

DIY: MAF cleaning

Old 10-06-2005, 04:41 PM
Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !
Thank You Ruiner WOW, a real easy 30 minute job and the results in one word "SMOOOOTH". The cold start sputtering is gone, the throttle response is definetely improved and the engine runs so much smoother. I think this is the best return on investment I've ever gotten. A total of $15 including the Torx driver. The only thing you have to be careful about is which cleaner to buy. There are some that leave no residue but are not safe for plastic which is what the housing is made of. I ended up using the one shown which I found at Home Depot. Thanks again.

Old 10-06-2005, 05:07 PM
Ruiner is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by Zippy
I put in the original MAF that had been replaced do to MAF/PSM. I had the CEL's come on before I got out of the garage. I put the bent up MAF back in and went for a drive. Seemed to perform well, with a little stutering in just-off-idle. I think I'm pooched. Maybe I'll try and get the dealer to give me another MAF. I'm kinda thinking they must have bent it when they took out the Y-pipe to send to EVO for modding. Do I get the 986 MAF now?
Those bends on the MAF circuits do not look good at all. I wonder how they happened...

Old 10-07-2005, 09:14 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Ruiner
Those bends on the MAF circuits do not look good at all. I wonder how they happened...
My guess is it happened when the dealership took out the Y-Pipe and shipped it to Stephen to be moddified to fit with the 996 NA throttle body. Hopefully they will buy this and give me (another) free MAF. If they are game or not, I think I'm moving along to the Boxster MAF. I'm surprised the car will even run with the bent wires!

Old 11-02-2005, 09:31 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
I installed the 986 MAF today as well as a no oil cotton filter (thanks Todd). The jerkyness at very low throttle seems to be gone!

Old 11-22-2005, 02:08 PM
..never gets enough..
McBurn4ever will become famous soon enoughMcBurn4ever will become famous soon enough
Question

Have I missed something here?
Why the 986 MAF and not the 996 MAF...?
Is it better....? Does it really fit!?!

Old 11-22-2005, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by McBurn4ever
Have I missed something here?
Why the 986 MAF and not the 996 MAF...?
Is it better....? Does it really fit!?!
It fits, BUT..........it is not typically recommended as a replacement unless you are at Stage 4 (?) or higher and pushing a lot more air through your MAF than what that standard MAF of stage 1-2 MAF would see.

Old 11-22-2005, 03:09 PM
TonyNJ is a glorious beacon of lightTonyNJ is a glorious beacon of lightTonyNJ is a glorious beacon of lightTonyNJ is a glorious beacon of lightTonyNJ is a glorious beacon of light
Ruiner, I am having the MAF issue now. The code was P1101 and and am having it replaced tomorrow. I am running Stage IV for about two years and did the new EVO intake with the new oil-less filter about 300 miles ago. Should I replace the MAF with the 986 because we tried cleaning mine and the car threw the code again and will not go over .6 bar of boost.

Old 11-22-2005, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by TonyNJ
Ruiner, I am having the MAF issue now. The code was P1101 and and am having it replaced tomorrow. I am running Stage IV for about two years and did the new EVO intake with the new oil-less filter about 300 miles ago. Should I replace the MAF with the 986 because we tried cleaning mine and the car threw the code again and will not go over .6 bar of boost.
From what Stephen @ IA said, the 986 MAF should be used if you are running larger turbos and are pulling more air.

Stephen, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

As for you only pulling 0.6 bar, it almost seems like you have a vacuum leak of some sort. Perhaps a hose/pipe has a small crack? Are your diverter valves failing?

By the way, what does P1101 diagnose as?

Old 11-22-2005, 06:18 PM
TonyNJ is a glorious beacon of lightTonyNJ is a glorious beacon of lightTonyNJ is a glorious beacon of lightTonyNJ is a glorious beacon of lightTonyNJ is a glorious beacon of light
P1101 is MAF failure, I agree about the vacuum leak. I am servicing the car tomorrow and will let you know what happened. I am going to see if they would install a 986 MAF tomorrow at the dealer. I hope I resolve this issue tomorrow.

Old 11-22-2005, 06:42 PM
vipertestarossa is a jewel in the roughvipertestarossa is a jewel in the roughvipertestarossa is a jewel in the rough
Tony playa,

I need to check your car for a boost leak tomorrow

Old 11-22-2005, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by vipertestarossa
Tony playa,

I need to check your car for a boost leak tomorrow
Thanks Ron, and thanks again for helping me out today on such short notice.

Old 11-22-2005, 07:01 PM
vipertestarossa is a jewel in the roughvipertestarossa is a jewel in the roughvipertestarossa is a jewel in the rough
no need for thanks Bro...always my pleasure!

If there are no obvious leaks I will break out the smoke machine, works every time

Last edited by vipertestarossa; 11-22-2005 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by vipertestarossa
no need for thanks Bro...always my pleasure!

If there are no obvious leaks I will break out the smoke machine, works every time
I have alway enjoyed doing the smoke tests on my old turbos. So simple, yet so effective.

Old 12-21-2005, 08:06 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Ahh reviving this thread haha.. Just wondering, i have the same symptoms, partial throttle in first accelerating it feels like it hit a little dead spot then keeps going, and under full throttle in 2nd or 3rd the car like sputter midway through the power range then bursts with power again.. I should definitely clean or change my MAF sensor correct? Thanks guys.. Martin

Old 12-21-2005, 08:13 PM
Johnfromjersey is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by iLLM3
Ahh reviving this thread haha.. Just wondering, i have the same symptoms, partial throttle in first accelerating it feels like it hit a little dead spot then keeps going, and under full throttle in 2nd or 3rd the car like sputter midway through the power range then bursts with power again.. I should definitely clean or change my MAF sensor correct? Thanks guys.. Martin
martin,
would i lead you wrong? clean your MAF. it's a simple fix especially with DIY instructions on here

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY: MAF cleaning