996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

slight knocking on the steering wheel...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 10:46 AM
porsche996tt_tpe is on a distinguished road
slight knocking on the steering wheel...

Hi, I feel a slight knocking on the steering wheel, when car is slowly moving forward on broken pavement or small bumps.

I've replaced the top mounts and the top/low control arms. What other causes can contribute to this?

Thanks!

Old 09-24-2014, 01:53 AM
Thanks!!

Old 09-24-2014, 05:39 AM
MadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond repute
Lift front of the car so both wheels are of the ground. Move wheel left and right. Up and down. Do you have aftermarket suspension ?

Old 09-24-2014, 06:33 AM
Originally Posted by MadWhip
Lift front of the car so both wheels are of the ground. Move wheel left and right. Up and down. Do you have aftermarket suspension ?

That's just the puzzle... The movements did not produce any play - left-right or up-down. At least not the obvious parts in the suspension...

When the car picks up speed, the knocking is no where felt. Only when the car goes very slow, can you notice the slight knocks only the steering wheel...

The shocks/parts are stock.

Thanks.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:50 AM
MadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond repute
Check the power steering fluid level.

A partial list would be a broken sway bar link; a loose/broken sway bar mount bushing; any steering or suspension bushing including the rear ones... cars have a funny way of making a noise from one end of the car appear like it is coming from the other end...; motor/transmission mounts; and any loose/cracked/missing body underpanels, including the fender well liners.

I'd go so far as to expose the power steering rack and the steering hardware -- based on the underbody areas of cars I've seen this will require one or more plastic underbody panels be removed -- and check for anything loose or worn. Check for any other lines or hardware, brackets/etc loose or out of place. While you there check the steering rack dust boots for any presence of fluid. Give 'em a squeeze, but not too hard cause if they have any fluid the squeeze can cause the boot to pop and spray you with power steering fluid.

With the car supported by its body lift points you (or your mechanic) can grasp and give all the steering, suspension hardware a good shake to check for any excessive play or looseness. Look at the springs for any signs one is broken

Check brake lines are properly routed and held secure to prevent any flopping about.

Last (or maybe this should be first...) be sure there is nothing: a bottle, can, golf ball, something; loose in the front trunk. (Be sure the spare tire and all the tool kit hardware, jack, etc are secure.) Check the cabin too for any loose foreign object and this includes of course under the seats. Watch it there are some edges/pointy things under there!

I got this from another board, done by Macster. - Since im that lazy to type