996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How do I pin or welding coolant pipes on the 996TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 09:04 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by abe_911
Hello everyone, I've been trying to research how to weld or pin the coolant pipes on my 996 turbo and had no luck. I was hoping to find a thread with pictures on where to locate The pipes and what is necessary to get the job done right.

Also what do you guys suggest more welding or pinning...
Keep in mind I do live in Toronto and our summers here are not anything special ... on a lucky day 80 degrees... And I don't track or drag my car strictly a weekend street car...

I am planning to make a tad over 700whp .. Let me know guys please

Thank you
May be this thread can help you a little bit: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ts-needed.html

Old 11-05-2014, 09:28 AM
Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !
Old 11-05-2014, 10:22 AM
993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !
+1 I wouldn't trust JB Weld to hold it together, a Band-Aid to get home only.
~10,000 km on my pinning(also on your tuning ) without any issue, will update the crowd if any leaks ever do occur.
I sent you an email today Tony.
Cheers,
Rob

Originally Posted by Tony@epl
I often drive a 1998 Chevy 1500 pick up truck with 180k miles on it when my "projects" are apart being worked on. This is a 1500 dollar vehicle and I would NEVER even use JB weld on it let alone use it on a 996.

The only permanent, in my opinion "real" solution is welding the fittings and then pressure testing each one individually for leaks. Pinning stops catastrophic failure and introduces leaks (we've "fixed" many at this point). These leaks still require an engine removal to fix. Do it once, do it right....

Old 11-05-2014, 10:26 AM
Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tony@epl
I often drive a 1998 Chevy 1500 pick up truck with 180k miles on it when my "projects" are apart being worked on. This is a 1500 dollar vehicle and I would NEVER even use JB weld on it let alone use it on a 996.

The only permanent, in my opinion "real" solution is welding the fittings and then pressure testing each one individually for leaks. Pinning stops catastrophic failure and introduces leaks (we've "fixed" many at this point). These leaks still require an engine removal to fix. Do it once, do it right....
I would argue that JB Weld is better than the Porsche factory adhesive holding the fittings...I would actually rather see these manifolds tapped and fittings threaded in place.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:36 AM
993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !
as a replacement sealant JB might be good, had a hard time finding stats on contraction/expansion rates of JB though(match the aluminum rates)...but would still want a mechanical 'lock' to hold the fitting on.
The idea of threaded fittings with O-rings in the best I can come up with as well.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by 993GT
as a replacement sealant JB might be good, had a hard time finding stats on contraction/expansion rates of JB though(match the aluminum rates)...but would still want a mechanical 'lock' to hold the fitting on.
The idea of threaded fittings with O-rings in the best I can come up with as well.
That's exactly why I chose to pin mine. I have seen welds fail with expansion rates being different of two different aluminums.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:22 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Vantaredoc
I would argue that JB Weld is better than the Porsche factory adhesive holding the fittings...I would actually rather see these manifolds tapped and fittings threaded in place.

I have no double that JB weld is stronger then what Porsche used. These fittings are one of Porsche's the biggest misses on this platform!

That however does mean I think its an appropriate solution.

Last edited by Tony@epl; 11-05-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:52 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
i would always defer to the sage judgement of those whoe reputations preceded them and have seen all manner of failings and even work on these cars daily, but in the case of jb weld as an adhesive in hi heat conditions i believe the anecdotal reports of this being a viable solution. though i'd never try to make a case that some "glue" would outlast a weld or the pinning method.

but the truth is, my car has been heat cycled at the racetrack and other places countless times ( with its 122k miles ), and i honestly believe that my fittings might not ever even fail anyway. but if they did? i'm just gonna jb weld, them come what may.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:30 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Found this video and the shop is using JB weld!

Old 01-25-2015, 08:14 AM
abe_911 Is a GOD !abe_911 Is a GOD !abe_911 Is a GOD !abe_911 Is a GOD !abe_911 Is a GOD !abe_911 Is a GOD !abe_911 Is a GOD !abe_911 Is a GOD !abe_911 Is a GOD !abe_911 Is a GOD !abe_911 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jpflip
Found this video and the shop is using JB weld!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIl2-vBAnvk
Very helpful video.
Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:40 AM
pat
pat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond repute
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...e-bonding.html

I pined also after the JB weld. As with any bonding it all in the prep of the parts to be bonded and selecting the bonding agent that has the temperature limit and chemical resistance for the environment that the parts will be subjected to.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:56 AM
pat
pat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond repute
Jp.. just watched the video. It was good. He should have rough fend up the bore more then he did for maximum shear strength of the bond.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by pat
Jp.. just watched the video. It was good. He should have rough fend up the bore more then he did for maximum shear strength of the bond.
Agree!!!

Old 01-25-2015, 09:17 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
welded & no problems.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:18 AM
pat
i knew you would.... as you know jp. there is a lot of bonding in the aerospace field for critical componants. its all in the prep. when i took out my pipes the factory surfaces were smooth very smooth not at all how they should have been for bonding.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do I pin or welding coolant pipes on the 996TT