996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

MSS 295/35 235/45 18's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 06:15 PM
Sourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to behold
MSS 295/35 235/45 18's

Really notice the quality of these tires. On KWV3 lowered with rear sway. The extra meat really improves ride, GRIP is great even cold.

Attached Images  
Old 04-21-2015, 06:34 PM
JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sourcerock
Really notice the quality of these tires. On KWV3 lowered with rear sway. The extra meat really improves ride, GRIP is great even cold.
Very nice indeed, do you know if these sizes work with the front diff in the awd 996 turbo?

I believe there is a certain ratio formula that is required to work properly with the AWD, if its not correct sizing there is a potential to burn out the front diff.

I know what I'm getting next if this sizing works.

Edit; Just checked and they come in 225/45ZR18/XL 95 (Y) , I would have thought these would have been a better match but I could be wrong. Can someone that knows enlighten me.

Last edited by JimTT; 04-21-2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:03 PM
vman932 will become famous soon enoughvman932 will become famous soon enough
Do you have any wider shots showing how the car looks overall? I assume you are on stock turbo wheels (8" front and 11" rear) correct? Could you possibly take a couple pictures showing how "square" the tires are on the wheels? I am thinking about these tires, but I have GT2 wheels (8.5" front and 12" rear). I am sure the fronts would be fine, but they recommend a max of 11.5" for the 295/35. The PSS seem to run "big" for their size, I just don't it want it too stretched.

Originally Posted by JimTT
Very nice indeed, do you know if these sizes work with the front diff in the awd 996 turbo?

I believe there is a certain ratio formula that is required to work properly with the AWD, if its not correct sizing there is a potential to burn out the front diff.

I know what I'm getting next if this sizing works.

Edit; Just checked and they come in 225/45ZR18/XL 95 (Y) , I would have thought these would have been a better match but I could be wrong. Can someone that knows enlighten me.
The consenus seems to be that if you are +/- 3% you should not put any additional stress on the AWD diff. However, ideally you want the front tires slightly taller. For the PSS:
235/45/18 = 26.3" tall
295/35/18 = 26.1" tall
225/45/18 = 25.9" tall

The 225/45 would work, but the 235/45 is a better match for the 295/35 with regards to the AWD. I would assume it balances the car better as well providing more grip at the front.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:25 PM
JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vman932
The consenus seems to be that if you are +/- 3% you should not put any additional stress on the AWD diff. However, ideally you want the front tires slightly taller. For the PSS:
235/45/18 = 26.3" tall
295/35/18 = 26.1" tall
225/45/18 = 25.9" tall

The 225/45 would work, but the 235/45 is a better match for the 295/35 with regards to the AWD. I would assume it balances the car better as well providing more grip at the front.
Thank you for explaining it, I wish I knew this a few months ago as I bought MSS 225 40 18 front to go with my PS2 295 30 18 rears.

I find the MSS way better than than the 2's, now I'll have to wait until my fronts wear out which will be 2.5 x rear wear rate, I will then go with the above MSS front and rears.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:47 PM
Sourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to behold
I've got about a 500 miles on this setup now. The 26.3"F /26.1"B works better than other combinations I've tried where the backs are 0.1-0.2" larger than the front. With rear sway at full soft I'm having a really hard time activating the PSM.

Over the winter I modified the front radiator brackets, moving the rads fwd 1" and made the cover plate on the back of the front wheel 5/8" thinner. Reshaped the front liners with a heat gun, result is a lot more room. I have a 15mm spacer in the back with no other mods and it doesn't look like I need to roll the fenders.

The mods were originally done to accommodate 255/40's in the front when I get to the track but you really need a lot of room for a 26.3"F tire.

IMO, the larger profile MSS combined with soft KWV3 setting is more comfortable than stock. The front end deals with the road heaves much better, I think due to both the larger diameter and taller profile. Even with "street settings" and alignment it still turns great.

I will take some more pics tomorrow.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:17 PM
Fitment pic as requested 11" wheel

Attached Images  
Old 04-22-2015, 09:25 PM
Another angle

Attached Images  
Old 04-23-2015, 11:45 AM
Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !
The mods were originally done to accommodate 255/40's in the front when I get to the track but you really need a lot of room for a 26.3"F tire.
Would the PSS 235/45 @ 26.3" front work on a stock suspension car without doing any tweaking/mods? I'm running Forgestar 18x8.5 ET 45, so they're a bit wider and pushed out +5mm over stock 18x8s.

I'm assuming the rears fit just fine. I love the way the big rubber fills the fenderwell!

Last edited by Road King; 04-23-2015 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:55 AM
Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JimTT
Thank you for explaining it, I wish I knew this a few months ago as I bought MSS 225 40 18 front to go with my PS2 295 30 18 rears.

I find the MSS way better than than the 2's, now I'll have to wait until my fronts wear out which will be 2.5 x rear wear rate, I will then go with the above MSS front and rears.
I believe you actually made the right call, you want the 225/40s with the stock sized 295/30s. If you had gone with the 235/45s, your front tires would have been a full 1.3 inches taller than the rears!

Here's my analysis of the PSS vs. PS2s....if the tall 235/45 tire clears ok, these #s show the AWD will work as designed.

Last edited by Road King; 04-23-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:17 PM
I ran into clearance issues in the front wheel well with anything larger than a 25.5" tire on my lowered car. The tire contacts the front part of the liner one side and rear on the other when the wheel is turned.

You can check this on the street and with your current set-up. There are very few prior posts that discuss clearance/fitment with a 26" tire. I did not do any fitment work with the stock lift kit style ride height.

In terms of the offset, I found the liner turn clearance is reduced as you move the wheel away from the hub.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by Road King
I believe you actually made the right call, you want the 225/40s with the stock sized 295/30s. If you had gone with the 235/45s, your front tires would have been a full 1.3 inches taller than the rears!

Here's my analysis of the PSS vs. PS2s....if the tall 235/45 tire clears ok, these #s show the AWD will work as designed.

Thank you and yes I do realize that but I had the perfect opportunity to go with Super sports front and rear and they dont come in the standard 996T sizes but have other sizes that will work.
I find the MSS grip better, have a better wear rate and cost less compared to PS2 , so win win.

Btw where did you find this graph?

Old 04-23-2015, 03:24 PM
MadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond repute
thats a tall tire---

Old 04-23-2015, 03:33 PM
Btw where did you find this graph?
I simply pulled the data from TireRack and put it in a spreadsheet...then did some calculations with regards to tire height ratio and revs per mile, comparing stock to other combos such as this and the GT2 sizing.

It's a shame that Michelin doesn't make the Super Sport in 295/30/18....a damn shame.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by Road King
I simply pulled the data from TireRack and put it in a spreadsheet...then did some calculations with regards to tire height ratio and revs per mile, comparing stock to other combos such as this and the GT2 sizing.

It's a shame that Michelin doesn't make the Super Sport in 295/30/18....a damn shame.
Very impressed, you're way more advanced than me.

Yes tell me about it, can't understand why Michelin would do that.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by MadWhip
thats a tall tire---
Yup, I hear ya, struggled with this concept for a while.

Consistent sidewall height to what you see on track oriented cars like the GTR, Z06 and Viper.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MSS 295/35 235/45 18's