996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

E85 and hose between fuel rails

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 02:21 PM
SSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond repute
E85 and hose between fuel rails

Hi All,

Anyone know if the hose between the fuel rails need to be changed out when running E85? I'm only changing the pump setup (silly rabbit) and running new lines all the way back to the driver side fuel rail and then everything else is stock all the way back to the tank.

My question is do you need to change out any other hoses fittings along the way? I would figure you would but haven't heard I needed to do it.

Thanks in advance.

David

Old 11-30-2015, 05:47 PM
flewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SSMugen
Hi All,

Anyone know if the hose between the fuel rails need to be changed out when running E85? I'm only changing the pump setup (silly rabbit) and running new lines all the way back to the driver side fuel rail and then everything else is stock all the way back to the tank.

My question is do you need to change out any other hoses fittings along the way? I would figure you would but haven't heard I needed to do it.

Thanks in advance.

David
I don't know but I'd recommend changing it. It would probabaly last a long time even if it's not e85 rated but eventually it may start cracking. All the high hp cars in my area are on e85. Every car I help build we change all the lines. Small investment to have zero problems later

Old 11-30-2015, 06:38 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
I'm not sure how the oring in the fpr in the pass rail is going to like the e85 either. rubber and e85 don't get along very well. need teflon lines

Old 11-30-2015, 06:45 PM
LQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond repute
Yes - you need to change it. When I pulled that line out - before e85 it was the worst line on the car age wise, because it gets the most amount of heat. Do I think it was an issue on pump gas, no, but if any rubber line was going to be an issue it was that one with the e85.

Happy to give you any advice on this since I just did it myself. I went with an external reg, 8an line that splits to each rail and then 6an to the reg, then 6an to the fuel cooler and back to the tank. I cut all the fittings of an welded an fitting on for pretty cheap, including the fuel cooler (the dia of the fuel cooler fitting is the smallest on the car btw)

You can see the fuel cooler fittings, and the fuel reg to the left of the alternator.

Old 11-30-2015, 06:50 PM
LQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond repute
I also did all the lines with the engine in the car - lowered of course.

About 8hrs total including making the lines and changing the rails/injectors. All the lines are covered in heat wrap cover. Routing the lines under the throttle body was tough but not impossible.

Also - your running a proto tune yes. If your going with protos 1600 injectors be careful. Mine was damaged after running VP C85 because of the MBTE. Todd didn't tell me that. Lucky that I didn't wreck the engine.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:17 PM
itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !
What rails did you use?

Old 11-30-2015, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by itguy
What rails did you use?
Stock - modified with an fittings. Apparently I need some billet ones

Old 11-30-2015, 11:58 PM
Ms4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LQQK
Stock - modified with an fittings. Apparently I need some billet ones
Why?