996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Polished and waxed the car today!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 06:13 AM
996TTFTW is on a distinguished road
Polished and waxed the car today!

I didn't take any before pictures (The swirl marks were absolutely dreadful.) But you can all enjoy the result of three hours of polishing and waxing!

For those who do this, I used a combination of Menzurna 400 cutting compound and 3M Perfect-It! finishing polish. I used Sonax paste wax - made in Germany of course!

Here are the pics!

Old 02-26-2016, 06:54 AM
Atrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud of
Looks awesome, I'm still afraid that I'll damage car if I use a DA polisher. Is the 400 cutting a mild compound? Could you briefly describe your method from start to finish. Every time I see cars this well presented I get the urge to address my own.

Last edited by Atrox; 02-26-2016 at 06:56 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:59 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
WOW!!! I love red TT and yours is beautiful with those wheels!!!!

Old 02-26-2016, 07:16 AM
Originally Posted by Atrox
Looks awesome, I'm still afraid that I'll damage car if I use a DA polisher. Is the 400 cutting a mild compound? Could you briefly describe your method from start to finish. Every time I see cars this well presented I get the urge to address my own.
If you use a DA polisher you'll be fine. A DA polished is something like a porter cable or similar. It's pretty difficult to damage the paint with one to be honest. You'd have to put some real effort into it. I used a rotary polisher which is more dangerous and I'd recommend using a DA before trying rotary.

Rotary can heat up quickly and burning the paint is easy to do if you're inexperienced.

The general procedure to both DA and rotary is to put the compound on the pad, and spread it along the surface you're polishing at low speed. after it is spread evenly turn up the speed and work it into the paint.. Typically anywhere from 2 - 4 passes will work. medium pressure on the polisher will work. It's better to do more passes with lower pressure than to do fewer with more.

The 400 is pretty aggressive and is capable of taking out 1200 grit sand paper scratches.

You will need to go over it again with a finishing polish otherwise the cutting compound will leave holograms and swirl marks.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:25 AM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
Missed a spot.

Just kidding, it looks great.

Later, Steve

Old 02-26-2016, 07:25 AM
z06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond repute
Looks great!! Red is really beautiful when it's that clean.
I need to get on mine this weekend. I have a Flex polisher from Germany that works really well. It has a forced rotation but still has a random motion also. Makes it hard to do damage with reasonable care.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:00 AM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
Nice work dude. I love detailing and paint correction; makes a huge difference. The "glow" from a proper job is amazing.

What do you use for headlights, if anything? I've noticed that from certain angles mine don't have that crystal look like yours... Need to handle that

Old 02-26-2016, 11:37 AM
brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !
Love guards red nice job!!

Old 02-26-2016, 12:45 PM
Atrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud of
Did you clay bar it before this?

Old 02-26-2016, 02:36 PM
Did you clay bar it before this?
No clay bar this time around.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:45 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !

don't be afraid of a DA, just to a little section at a time, they are pretty fool proof. Now a true rotary....that's where you'll get yourself in trouble.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:18 PM
oldturd is just really niceoldturd is just really niceoldturd is just really niceoldturd is just really niceoldturd is just really nice
thanks for posting! looks great- the paint looks really slick. i'm due for a polish too.. i only did the driver fender and door so far with my PC w/ 105 and 205.. LOL

Old 03-05-2016, 05:50 PM
whtrabt is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Gorgeous!!

Old 03-06-2016, 02:42 AM
Ronny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud of
Even with a DA at low speed you need to be really careful around sharp edges.
For instance if you remove the headlights or the bumpers, be really carefull around the edge as you will rub through the paint in no time.

But take your time at first to read around different detailers forums and you will get alot of instructions.
This again will save you time when you start working on your car as you will better understand how polishing works, and what equipment you use.

I have a DA and a menzerna kit (like OP), 400, 2500 and 4000 compounds.
And i've read alot about this, but still its a bit hard to get that proper shine, and knowing where to use the different plates and compounds.

And remember the shine lies in the polish not the wax

Looks great OP!

Old 03-06-2016, 05:05 AM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
Looks great. I never get tired of looking at these cars!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Polished and waxed the car today!